Snorkeling in Miami- do it!

jac8724

I just wanted to share this with everyone- We did the best snorkeling ever right in Miami! If you go over to Key Biscayne, there is a park on the north end that takes up half the island called Crandon Park. There is a nature center and they offer guided kayak/snorkel tours. They take you up around the island to the northwestern most tip in your kayaks (about 20-30 min) and you jump out and snorkel. The water is only about waist to chest deep, and there is coral! Fossil coral and some fire coral (watch out!) and tons of huge puffer fish, sea cucumbers that our guide let us hold...I dont think many people go at all! we were the only ones there. Got a marine biologist all to ourselves who told us all kinds of neat info. Was even bashing the Miami seaquarium for tossing nets out right over that area (which is protected!) to replenish their stock after the hurricane whipped them out. shame shame!

It doesnt have the vast species variety that some places in the caribbean do, but with hardly anyone there and the water being SO shallow I thought it was a total gem. Plenty of fish though. Plus i think it would be great for kids or beginners too. I remember it being alittle on the pricey side (nothing more than any Caribbean island would charge, but it was well worth it)

just an FYI for those flying into Miami early and looking to start their vacation before boarding the ship!

Archived