Question: passports and kids...

MamaParrotHead

I did check out the state dept. website and it really doesn't address this specific question.

Thanks for all your personal assurances. My nephew is just a little squirt, almost 3 right now, and thankfully sperm donor has never been in the picture (long history of drug abuse, suicide attempts, family abusive behavior) and I actually even forget that there may be some situations that that may come up.

We've been so excited and busy making all the FUN plans, it didn't occur to me to even ask about it until now.:o

I think this part would apply??

for minors under age 14) 1. Both parents must appear together and sign or

2. One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent's notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (a notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14 , or a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper from the non-appearing parent) or

3. One parents appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):

• Child's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
  • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order); or
  • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent); or
  • Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child; or
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent.

She will have no problem since she is the only person listed on the BC, she is the only one that needs to consent to the child having a Passport.

This was my experience.

Who else would they ask, there is not a name on the 'father' space. She simply puts "N/A" or "unknown"

No worries.

Archived