Cruising with a 10 month old

jfhandel

Hello

We have never cruised before, but are keen to do so. We are thinking about going September/October 2008, when our little boy will be 10 months old.

The $million question is...is it going to work with a child so young?

Cheers

JF

I think that answer really depends on what your expectations are.

We went on our cruise with our first daughter when she was that age and we had a blast!

For us, the key was to go with the flow and not PLAN too much. We cruised on the Imagination to the Keys and Cozumel. It was the first time our daughter went to the beach! So many fun memories.

Make sure you have a great packing list (so much help here on the family boards).

DH and I took turns doing some stuff late night while one of us stayed in the cabin when DD was sleeping at night. For that reason, we wished that we might have planned the cruise with friends/family.....the person who was "off duty" so to speak would have had people to hang out with. Also wish that we might have chosen a balcony cabin, so as not to have to sit in the dark.

DD had a great time people watching, etc. It didn't take much to keep her busy and happy. We kept her schedule as best we could and just relaxed!

I say GO FOR IT!!

I'll be finding out the answer to that million dollar question in 11 days. Our daughter will be that very age by then. I have visions of exploring the ship through her eyes. :) Guess I'll be hot tubbing by myself this time as hubby will have to hold her but it'll be worth it. We decided to not get caught up in shore excursions this time and just hang out at the beach and maybe just stay on board at one port. We'll try the evening shows with her and just play it by ear. We are blessed with a baby who doesn't fuss much and who isn't on a schedule. She is used to our crazy work schedules and lifestyle. This cruise might be different if we had a baby who required more.

My hopes for this cruise are to just get away from life and my cell phone. I'd like a warmer climate, uninterrupted one-on-one time with my daughter & hubby, and to spend some time in the water. As long as I keep that in mind, anything I have to miss out on because of my daughter is okay with me. I've cruised before though so if this were my first cruise I'd probably feel like I was missing out on some things...These boards are really great for getting ideas on what it will be like with a young one. Lots of good advice and tips.

Jennie

Archived