Snakes

bird rock

I'm trying to decide what to do when we're in Belize next month off the Jewel of the Sea. Lamanai sounds great (love the sound of the boat ride to get there) and cave tubing is a possibility. I have a question for people who have done these things. I'm phobic about snakes and wonder what are the odds of seeing one on any of these excursions? I know anytime you're in a jungle or rainforest there are no doubt snakes in the area but I assume people will primarily be in more populated areas and snakes might be scared away. I would be especially horrified at the thought of one dropping from a tree near me. So can I avoid snakes if I go on one of these tours?

someone asked our tour guide (lamanai and the river safari) about that. she was talking about if she sees one, she would be the first to run...things like that. when the talk got serious, so did she...she said, she sees them all the time..and NEVER tells anyone. true to her word, if she did see one, no one knew. i was watching (grew up around snakes) i didn't see any. we had this kid with us, he joined us at the boat rides and stayed through the tour of lamanai. i think he was our rear guard, he helped several people over the uneven ground and helped a man climb one of the temples.

both he and the tour guide kept their eyes on the monkeys...i think they cause more problems. (one of the review says the monkeys were throwing things at one of the tours)

we had no problems at all, the monkeys stayed high in the trees and only saw critters on the boat ride (no snakes)

Thanks for the info. I'm sure you're correct, that the guides see a lot of snakes but fortunately don't point them out. Good to know that they are sensitive to that.

About four years ago we were in Argentina. We spent some time at Iguazu Falls on the border of Brazil and Paraguay. We stayed at the Sheraton right in the national park. There were signs everywhere warning people to stay on the paths since something like 15 of the world's deadliest snakes could be found there. I was a nervous wreck and seriously considered not leaving my room. Thankfully I did since this was such an incredible place it would have been a real shame not to experience it. I didn't see a single snake, either. Did see lots of monkeys and toucans and parrots and amazing butterfly swarms. Quite fantastic! So I think I'll give Lamanai a try.

. . . the chances are slim to none; we were looking for them, as we find them interesting; the snakes that exist do not drop on you, for any reason; in two weeks we saw NO live snakes except in captivity, and only one dead snake, a harmless racer, run over on a highway. There were two cave spiders, which look something like Daddy Longlegs or Harvestmasters in the United States; and one sleeping bat, about forty feet above us in the cave.

Do snakes exist in Belize? You bet! But just as in the United States, they want nothing to do with us, and hide away. :D

we saw very little wildlife...going out of town, they stopped to show up a huge crocodile at the Dickie's factory. on the boat rides we saw egrets, baby crocs, many tiny bats and something they called a "night" owl..very small little guy.

at the site, only the howler monkeys...we heard a ton of birds, but none close enough to see them.

we want to do crocodile bay in costa rica...same warnings about snakes there.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for asking this question. I was about to ask for advice, when I read your posting. We are leaving on a cruise Mar 8, so if you go prior to that time, please let me know if you see any snakes on the tour, and then I will just send the rest of our family, and stay and enjoy the empty ship!

Archived