What to do while family is cave tubing?

libbi

You can shop until you drop at the tender dock. Lots of stores, food and drink, but you can also book a trip to Bannister Island while there. They will take you to the island for a little sun and waves. Lots of chairs, gorgeous beach and absolutely safe. They also offer a reef snorkel.

. . . if you went with your family almost to the cave tubing hiking area, your tour guide could drop you off at Jaguar Paw Resort and you could wait there if you liked. At Jaguar Paw they have a young spider monkey, a butterfly farm of their own with a wide variety of tropical butterflies, including one species whose wings are clear, a collection of Mayan relics, a gorgeous indoor bar, and very comfortable chairs. The resort is essentially hidden in a rain forest, and you might see some remarkable birds as well--certainly an enormous amount of tropical vegetation.

While the trip to and from the caves from Belize City is not a short one, most of it is over open savannah until you get to the foothills of the Maya Mountains and the Mopan River, so it is quite a beautiful trip. :D

Do you think the RCCL excursion to Altun Ha and Belize City would be worthwhile? I was thinking it might be worth the extra $$ to go on a ship excursion - kind of paying for company. But the resort idea sounds really wonderful!

Do you think the RCCL excursion to Altun Ha and Belize City would be worthwhile? I was thinking it might be worth the extra $$ to go on a ship excursion - kind of paying for company. But the resort idea sounds really wonderful!

I've seen rave reviews on Altun Ha.

I would suggest the Bacab Resort tour. They have an enormous, beautiful pool with a waterfall and slide and little rocking lounge chairs that sit in shallow water. They have a free buffet lunch, a bar nearby, free lockers, nice bathrooms, and a butterfly farm. And transportation on a nice bus is included, with a guide to talk about the country on the way. It's a very nice place to hang out for the day, and not a very expensive tour, from what I remember.

Archived