Rainforest ?????

melgray13

We are interested in seeing the rainforest while in SJ. We will most likely just rent a car and do it on our own. What is the best thing to wear? We'll be there the 1st week in April. Also, I've heard there are spots where you can swim in the falls - is that true? Do you wear a bathing suit under your clothes and just bring a towel along?

Also, I read there are some spots you can drive through, is that true? Do you drive a section and then walk another section?

After we finish the rainforest, is there anything else in the area worth seeing?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Wear shorts and a t-shirt, with sneakers or hiking shoes. If you want to go swimming in the falls, wear your bathing suit under your clothes, bring a towel and water shoes.

You have to drive up a lone winding road through the forest to get to the trail heads- along the way you pass a nice waterfall and a lookout tower- stop at these- really pretty views.

Then decide which trail you want to take to the falls- Big Tree Trail or La Mina Falls.

Once you finish your time in the rainforest (there are lots of trails, BBQ pits, picnic tables, bathrooms etc so you could make a nice day of it) you can drive a few more minutes East and go to Monserate beach in Luquillo to swim or eat at the kiosks. Or on the way back toward San Juan, go RT 187 through Pinones and stop there to bike or walk the board walk or catch a bite to eat.

I have lots of information about the rainforest and other things to do in the area on my travel blog:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com

Have fun!

Archived