A reminder for all..........

cruzegirl

I feel so strongly about recently happened when trying to purchase my new camera, Olympus sp 550 uz, that I feel the need to post this thread as a reminder. I found an online website with an amazing low price and seemed credible. Turned out to be a not good site and yet the initial reviews seemed good. I can't say the name or this thread will be pulled and I'm hoping I'm still within the guidelines of Cruise Critic. Let me just say, it's NOT the Olympus corp. itself. I pretty consumer savvy and thought I'd done my homework. Just remember, whatever company you use, don't just look at the reviews on their site. Google their name and go further. I had to call my C.C. company to do a freeze on my account and dispute on that purchase.

Just an FYI.... Really check out the websites/companies. They are not all they seem. Do your research and be safe.

If anyone wants the name and they email me, I will provide it. I just want to protect others if possible........

Good advice!

Photo boards like this one and others like the forums at www.dpreview.com are great sources for asking about experiences with online retailers. Places like www.bizrate.com can be helpful too (as long as the sleazes don't make up a bunch of names and post glowing reviews!:D )

The internet is a boon to shoppers, but it's anonymity is a bigger boon to sleazy retailers.

Dave

Good advice!

Photo boards like this one and others like the forums at www.dpreview.com are great sources for asking about experiences with online retailers. Places like www.bizrate.com can be helpful too (as long as the sleazes don't make up a bunch of names and post glowing reviews!:D )

The internet is a boon to shoppers, but it's anonymity is a bigger boon to sleazy retailers.

Dave

Yes, the sites mentioned are good for camera reviews. I didn't see retailer reviews on the dpreview site. Haven't look at bizrate but did look at the CNET forum for reviews as it came up when I googled the specific retailer. There were almost 100 negative reviews of this retailer. And quite specific and related to what happened to me.

And this is not related to the camera or the brand of camera. Just the online retailer/seller I used. Very unethical and a scam. My main reason for this thread is to remind others to google any retailer you may plan to buy from. Often there are reviews of their performance record. And I'm not talking about the reviews on their site.

I referred to the DPReview site because of the forums. If you sign into Open Talk or a forum for your current or future camera brand, you can ask if anyone has had an issue with a retailer. Pretty good response rate from what I've seen.

Any resource helps.

BTW, sorry you got burned! Nice of you to turn it into a positive by warning others!

Good luck on the next try!

Dave

I referred to the DPReview site because of the forums. If you sign into Open Talk or a forum for your current or future camera brand, you can ask if anyone has had an issue with a retailer. Pretty good response rate from what I've seen.

Any resource helps.

BTW, sorry you got burned! Nice of you to turn it into a positive by warning others!

Good luck on the next try!

Dave

Well it was a lesson learned. I bought the housing from B & H photo. Decent price but the camera was more expensive so I went the cheaper route. Should've known. lol.... so after cancelling this other mess of a purchase, I went right back to B & H and paid the extra money. I've never had a problem, they are fast, efficient, professional. So I should be good to go.... It's just a reminder that to stick with those you know you've had good luck with and that cheaper isn't necessarily better. But more importantly, just research your retailer.

I always check pricegrabber when comparison shopping. They have vendor ratings generated by user feedback. Anyone with 4+ stars and over 1,000 reviews I would buy from. I've not had a problem using those two criteria for picking a low-cost vendor.

Archived