Review of NCL's Safari Adventure tour of Samana

librarygal

Since so many people have questions about Samana I thought I would review NCL’s Safari Adventure shore excursion. We went on this tour in January 2008. After tendering we were led to an open air vehicle with seating for about sixteen people facing each other. After a very short drive on a paved road we started climbing up hills on unpaved very bumpy roads. We passed small shacks but no real villages. Kids waved on the side of the road and there some mangy looked dogs roaming around. The scenery was lush and hilly.

The first stop is a “farm” where you will be shown local fruits and samples will be passed around. This was the weak part of the tour as it was too long and the man doing the presentation yelled and was hard to understand. I think he lost his audience in the first fifteen minutes. Afterwards you can purchase some of products. We were then led to a muddy path that took us to a waterfall. Kids will offer to help you but just say no if you don’t need assistance. The trail was flat but uneven. After about fifteen minutes we arrived at a small waterfall. In order to get to the waterfall you must cross a small stream using sandbags places suspiciously too far apart. Kids are standing by to help you but will want to be tipped of course. Bring small bills. At the waterfall kids will climb into the trees and jump into the pool below.

After the waterfall we went to a pretty, secluded beach. There were kids as young as four walking around selling fruit slices as well as a stand to buy drinks. You can take a dip in the water if you like but we were not there that long. After the beach we drove back to the main road. The tour guide asked if anyone wanted to go into town and only two people did. At that point is was late and we had not had lunch. The tenders were delayed due to high waves so we did not leave the ship until after noon. The tour guide was poor as he gave us very little information. He just pointed out a few things we could see for ourselves. We thought the tour at $79 was way overpriced since it was not that long.

We were on the same tour, the same day, but we had a different guide. She was great! She told us all we could ever possibly want to know about Samana and then some. :) Tour guides certainly do make a difference, don't they?

We really enjoyed the beach. We weren't there for very long, but dh and I went all the way over to the right and into the cave, where we took a bunch of pictures of each other, peaking out from between rocks. Yes, we're dorks.

Also, a man was injured when one of the sandbags leading to the waterfall tipped over. His leg was bleeding and soaking wet, but he was otherwise okay.

We really enjoyed our time with the kids. I held a girl's hand and we chatted in Spanish (very limited, on my part) for awhile. The guy behind me talked to another kid in Spanish, and the group of us had a good time. They wouldn't tell us why they weren't in school that day.

I agree that the tour was overpriced. It sure is a beautiful place, though, isn't it? Gorgeous!

Archived