Shower Gel or Shower gel, Shampoo and Cond?

aggietd

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on this problem, I have read on other boards that Molton Brown Shower gel in supplied in the Bathrooms, do they only supply shower gel or do they supply Shampoo and Condioner as well?

If they supply hair products are they any good? or should you really bring your own, I am thinking about weight for flying, also can anyone tell me are the toiletry products sold on board much more expensive than on land, ie, is is worth taking all that room in my case (that could take another pair of shoes!!) with toiletries that I can just as easy buy onboard, sorry if this question has been tackled before, but we have only sailed on US based ships and found the toiletry range very poor and expensive.

Thankyou

Nancy

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on this problem, I have read on other boards that Molton Brown Shower gel in supplied in the Bathrooms, do they only supply shower gel or do they supply Shampoo and Condioner as well?

If they supply hair products are they any good? or should you really bring your own, I am thinking about weight for flying, also can anyone tell me are the toiletry products sold on board much more expensive than on land, ie, is is worth taking all that room in my case (that could take another pair of shoes!!) with toiletries that I can just as easy buy onboard, sorry if this question has been tackled before, but we have only sailed on US based ships and found the toiletry range very poor and expensive.

Thankyou

Nancy

Nancy,

Let me take your questions one at a time.........

Shower gel, shampoo, conditioner - onboard in standard cabins they only supply shower gel, in suites you get a box of Moulton Brown products but, having not been in one, I don't know if they have shampoo/conditioner in them.

Buying onboard - Last summer I bought shampoo and conditioner that were recommended for my hair in the hair salon, they were not cheap (just over £20 for them both) but I only needed to use a very small amount of shampoo (the size of a 10p piece on hair down to my shoulder blades) and the conditioner I have used a couple of times a week since August and still have 1/3 bottle left, so they are very good value. The brand was Joico.

I am sure they will also sell some sort of shampoo in the onboard shop but the choice will be small and they may not be a brand you are happy with.

One further choice (depending on which airport you are travelling from) you could buy some after going through check in and security then carry them in your hand luggage (again depending on the choice available) - I think this is allowed as they have been bought 'airside' and you do not go through the same checks when you arrive at the other end (again depending on where you are flying to - in Barbados you disembark the plane and are taken straight to the ship without entering the airport itself.

Hope the information helps and you have a great cruise.

Feebee_71:)

I take my own shampoo and contitioner, however OH uses Molton Brown on his hair.

But lots of us find the water on board not as soft as water at home so often you find your regular products dont work as well. I decant mine into small bottles and take some extra hair packs for extra treatment as the sun and pool water can make it dry out.

YOu get a small bottle of Elmis items body lotion, some lip gel, leg cooling gel and and eye mask.

Hope this helps.:)

There is a dispenser of Shower/ body gel in the cabin bathroom,there is no shampoo or conditioner. For my recent cruise I bought small travel size bottles of Shampoo and conditioner, as I have short hair they lasted me for tht 14 night cruise, I also bought travel size hair spray. These travel sizes are available in Boots, Superdrug etc.

You can also purchase small empty plastic travel bottles and fill them with your usual Shampoo and Conditioner.

If you are in a suite or mini suite you get a box of Molton and Brown toiletries.

In my opinion due to the strict luggage weight restrictions that now apply the cruise line should at least supply the cabin with shampoo.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all the advice, unfortunately we are not in a suite, (just managed the Balcony cabin) I like the idea of the Travel sizes and bottles, I too have short hair I think what I might try is after buying the bottles fill them with my own shampoo and cond. and try them out to see how long they last before we go, and then add some extra for luck!! Had not thought about the effect different water would have on usual Shampoo etc, might talk it over with hairdresser and see if she has any ideas.

I can usually manage restrict my clothes, shoes etc, but seem always to end up with massive amounts of toiletries, but at least not having to take shower gel is a start I supose.

Since we are sailing from Southampton in Oct and our 1st port of call is the Canary islands I am thinking that I will wait until we go ashore there to buy sun products as I don't think we will need them before that!! so that also should save some weight (and space).

Thanks again

Nancy

Hi Everybody,

Since we are sailing from Southampton in Oct and our 1st port of call is the Canary islands I am thinking that I will wait until we go ashore there to buy sun products as I don't think we will need them before that!! so that also should save some weight (and space).

Thanks again

Nancy

Nancy,

If you are sailing from Southampton and then flying back to the UK you are only restricted for the return leg of the journey in which case you can pack your cases to the weight restrictions set out by the charter line you are using. Then, in a piece of hand luggage you can put all your toiletries/sun creams that you will use for the cruise and carry it onboard with you.

As the cruise passes you will use these items and will reduce your luggage weight until the end of the cruise when you can decide if there is enough left in the bottles of toiletries/sun cream to bring anything home with you or leave the bottle ends in the cabin for disposal.

Feebee_71 :)

I would take some sun cream with you we live in Devon and in Oct you can get some very hot sunny days, so wouldnt like to be at sea with no sun factor on my face, you often see those at the Captains cocktail party with red faces first day out... the men in cream jackets look like swan vesta ( matchs) :mad:

remember at sea the rays are stronger !!!!!!:mad: :mad:

Living on the coast I always put sun factor on my face every morning.

Liz Earle has a great one in her range, you can get it online ...

happy sailing

Archived