First Cruise!!!

justsaygo

Hello! This is our first cruise and we will have our 2 kids with us; ages 10 and 6. We are looking for something to do on Grand Cayman. I don't want to book with Carnival because they seem to have age limits with the snorkeling and that would leave our DD out. We are only in port from 7am to 2pm. Any suggestions with activities and tour operators?

You might check with Captain Marvin's. We've been on snorkel excursions with kids that were very young.

http://www.captainmarvins.com

Or if you're looking for a beach day, you could just grab a cab and head to Royal Palms or Sea Grape beach (both are on 7MB, with Royal Palms being a bit closer to the port area). There are plenty of cabs lined up to take you there, and the same when it comes to going back to the ship.

Here's Royal Palms website (the Reef Grill is there). Both the RG and SG offer water toy rental, food, restrooms, and chair rentals.

http://www.reefgrill.com/pages/info.html

Or you might consider a tour that takes you to the turtle farm. There's also a place called Boatswain's Beach which is part of the turtle farm, or at least next to it. I don't know anything about BB, but we've done the turtle farm and my kids enjoyed it.

http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/

Grand Cayman is a place where you can just get out and do your own thing and feel completely safe doing so. Since you're going to be on the island for such a short time, make sure you find out what ship time and island time will be for you. Grand Cayman doesn't observe Daylight Savings. So if you sail out of the eastern part of the country, in the winter, ship time and island time will most likely be the same. If you're sailing after the time change in April, (or May-or whenever it is in 2008), this may change for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely recommend going to Stingray city. The water is shallow and it is extremely beautiful. the kids will fall in love withe stingrays. I used mobydick tours, and they were great! While on the boat ride over to the reef, one of the guys gives a very demonstrative overview of the stingrays by using a stuffed animal stingray (silly for the kids). They give you blow up life vests and snorkel gear if you want to snorkel by the reef. I have also heared great things about captain marvins also. I do think that this is a once in a lifetime experience that you and the kids will remember for a long time to come.

• 3 weeks later...
Were booked through Carnival to do the Hell/Turtle Farm/Sting Rays in a less then 2 weeks, and my younger son is not quite 4. No age limit on that one and seems like you get to see it all. I'll post a review when we return.

Can you tell me how this was? I am leaving in less than a month and was thinking about booking this excursion. Our time is very limited on the island and I want to be sure to make the most of it. Thanks!

Were booked through Carnival to do the Hell/Turtle Farm/Sting Rays in a less then 2 weeks, and my younger son is not quite 4. No age limit on that one and seems like you get to see it all. I'll post a review when we return.

OK - I'm back from the trip and would certainly recommend this trip. My not quite 4 year old was afraid to swim with the rays for more than a few minutes. But my 9 year old loved it. Our handler fed the ray 1 lb of squid and then rubbed her belly for about 45 minutes while we each had a chance to check her out up close. On several occasions, he took him arms down to show that he ws not holding her and that she was staying with him because she wanted to do so; apparently, they are a lot like men - feed them and scratch them and they are happy! ;) We were there for 45 min- 1 hour, so even if someone is "afraid" parents can still take turns. Also, it is a nice boat ride out.

The turtle farm was also neat 'cause the kids can hold the smaller ones. We though hell was cool and enjoyed the drive around the island - our guide gave us a lot of history and knowledge about Grand Cayman.

I would recommend it as a way to see the best Grand Cayman has to offer!

We did a snorkle with the stingrays on a Disney cruise there in 2006. Our girls were just 8 & 10. It was a great sail over . My husband loved the rays. I admit myself and the girls were nervous, but they did seem gentle. It is a unique experience and you can stay on the boat as much as you want. There were kids younger than ours who were in the water petting them the whole time.

Archived