Rental car after arrival in New York

S&S Cruisers 1983

We will arrive in New York after our cruise and want to rent a car. Do you rent it from the port? If so, what is the name of the port that you rent it from? I am going to try to rent it online, but it seems there are a couple of ports. We will be on the NCL Gem if that makes a difference. Also, if you rent it at the port, can you return it at the airport? Thank you for any help you can give.

We will arrive in New York after our cruise and want to rent a car. Do you rent it from the port? If so' date=' what is the name of the port that you rent it from? I am going to try to rent it online, but it seems there are a couple of ports. We will be on the NCL Gem if that makes a difference. Also, if you rent it at the port, can you return it at the airport? Thank you for any help you can give.[/quote']

You will have to rent out of one of the Manhattan agencies. There are no car rentals at the port. So you will have to take a taxi to one of the agencies.

Why, oh why, do you want to rent a car in NYC??? Not only are they outrageously expensive (especially with airport drop off), but have you thought of parking??? Parking can easily run $50.00 for 8 hours. And not overly easy to find. Not to mention the hassle of driving in Manhattan.

If you want to get rid of the luggage and sightsee before your flight, find a car service and hire them for the day. Will probably be about the same price as a rental and a LOT easier on your nerves. Go to the East Coast boards for info on car services and day tours.

You will have to rent out of one of the Manhattan agencies. There are no car rentals at the port. So you will have to take a taxi to one of the agencies.

Why, oh why, do you want to rent a car in NYC??? Not only are they outrageously expensive (especially with airport drop off), but have you thought of parking??? Parking can easily run $50.00 for 8 hours. And not overly easy to find. Not to mention the hassle of driving in Manhattan.

If you want to get rid of the luggage and sightsee before your flight, find a car service and hire them for the day. Will probably be about the same price as a rental and a LOT easier on your nerves. Go to the East Coast boards for info on car services and day tours.

We would rent it to go visit family that live in Oyster Bay. We would stay about 3 days. I would hate to ask them to pick us up at the port and drive us around. We have not seen them in many years and I feel that it would be asking too much. We have driven it before but from the airport and 20 years ago!

I took advantage of my Auto Club membership benefits and had them do all the work for me of reserving a car.

On the last day of our post-cruise NYC stay, we picked up the car in Manhattan, less than one block from our hotel, did our driving tour, and then returned the car to Newark airport.

As it turns out, returning the car at the airport was less expensive than returning it to the agency where we picked it up, and saved us the bother and cost of getting from the city to the airport.

If you have an auto club membership, just tell them what you want to do, and they'll take on all the hassels for you. It couldn't have worked out better.

I would take a shuttle/taxi to the airport and rent from there. I think you will find that the driving conditions outside of midtown manhattan will be a lot better for you -- if you rent it from LaGuardia, that is only about 45 minutes (barring traffic) from LaGuardia.

We would rent it to go visit family that live in Oyster Bay. We would stay about 3 days. I would hate to ask them to pick us up at the port and drive us around. We have not seen them in many years and I feel that it would be asking too much. We have driven it before but from the airport and 20 years ago!

Now I understand. Sorry for going off on a tangent.

Most of the majors have rental cars available in Manhattan. And yes, you can drop off at the airport. The drop fees for Manhattan rented cars at the NY airports are pretty expensive. Stick with Hertz or Avis and you MAY not get charged a drop fee if they need the cars at the airport.

A completely different set of rules applies if you are dropping at EWR (due to insurance regulations and crossing state lines).

Did you consider taking a train there? You can get one at Penn Station -not Grand Central- right in The City (Manhatten is THE CITY!) You could take a cab there from the port. Your family could get you the train schedule. Oyster Bay is very nice. A classmate of mine lived there. It is right on the Sound and there is a lot of boating but no cruise ships!

I used to drive into The City every week from NJ - with two small boys. My husband was born & brought up there so know about The City. Traffic and other drivers can be something else! And the big LIE (Long Island Expressway) can be a nightmare of traffic almost any time of day/night no matter where you're going.

Now I understand. Sorry for going off on a tangent.

Most of the majors have rental cars available in Manhattan. And yes, you can drop off at the airport. The drop fees for Manhattan rented cars at the NY airports are pretty expensive. Stick with Hertz or Avis and you MAY not get charged a drop fee if they need the cars at the airport.

A completely different set of rules applies if you are dropping at EWR (due to insurance regulations and crossing state lines).

Thanks for the info. Wow, they do charge for everything, don't they.

Did you consider taking a train there? You can get one at Penn Station -not Grand Central- right in The City (Manhatten is THE CITY!) You could take a cab there from the port. Your family could get you the train schedule. Oyster Bay is very nice. A classmate of mine lived there. It is right on the Sound and there is a lot of boating but no cruise ships!

I used to drive into The City every week from NJ - with two small boys. My husband was born & brought up there so know about The City. Traffic and other drivers can be something else! And the big LIE (Long Island Expressway) can be a nightmare of traffic almost any time of day/night no matter where you're going.

Interesting idea. Thank you, I will look into it. Do you think dragging all of our luggage from the cruise onto the train would be a problem?

Archived