Cell Phones on board

donmimi

After a long discussion with my Verizon representative I now understand what is going on with cell phones on board -- at least on the Nautica. Oceania hasinstalled a CDMA ( the U. S. standard) network onboard, and for $2.49 per minute both incoming and outgoing, you can call or receive calls from anywhere in the world while you are on board ship. I do not know what the charges will be to the caller calling you on board. I suspect they will be whatever rates you have set up for international calling for you phone from your home.

This means that you can use your normal US cell phone on board the Regatta most anywhere in the world while you are onboard -- and within x amount of feet of the ship.

For those of you with a GSM phone, Verizon explained that the ship's CDMA network would override this, and you would be charged $2.49 per minute even tho the country calling rate might be lower for your GSM phone -- you will have to walk away from the ship to get the lower levels if avaiable on your carrier.

NB This is all Verizon information.

My Blackberry worldwide download of email is not affected by this set-up -- again according to Verizon.

Kudos to Oceania for setting up this program -- even tho its is too late for us -- we've already invested in an international phone. If you are not Verizon customers I'd suggest calling your local carrier to see if the CDMA network is universal -- I suspect it is -- maybe someone on this board has some input.

Donmimi

Archived