Cell phone service at sea

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I also have a question about cell phones in US ports.

I know you get charged out the yahoo for using your cell on the ship, but what if you are in a US port? If I'm on the ship sitting in San Diego and use my cell phone, will I only get charged my ususal usage fees, or will they be billed as if I was using the ships connection?

Also we called tmobile last night and added some free international service...where text messages are on 30 something cents....so you might want to call your carrier and see....

we wanted to add that just in case....so its cheaper to text message than call....

Call your cell provider to inform them of your trip....they usually offer lower rates with an International plan instead of keeping your regular plan & being charged out the wahoo for calls.(Example = w/o International plan you may pay $2.99/min....but with International calling plan you may pay $1.99-$2.49/min.)

This is the provider most ships use while at sea http://www.cellularatsea.com/

TIP = After leaving port Turn Phone OFF, b/c if someone calls your phone & you do NOT answer it & they leave you a voice msg, you WILL still be charged the $2.99/min AND whatever per minute charges that the International provider charge.(which could go as high as $9.99-$14.99)

AT&T told me that it's b/c the call bounces from their tower(if they have one in the area), then bounces off the International tower.(I'm NOT a techie, so I don't know if this is true or not...but, I do know that on my 1st cruise my phone bill was nearly $600.00 :eek: )

Calling Cards & Trac-Fones, seem to be the best way to go...or...have a pre-set time to call home/work & leave phone OFF the rest of the time.

TIP = After leaving port Turn Phone OFF, b/c if someone calls your phone & you do NOT answer it & they leave you a voice msg,

Definitely a good tip...my husband gets his emails sent to his blackberry...so every hour he gets about 5 messages...so tmobile told him to just turn off his phone...just so he wont be charged.

ETA: Plus I told him no business on this trip haha :)

on carnival, you will be charged 2.49 per minute to use the ships cell link in either direction, regardless of plan or cards.

other cruise lines have varying prices, i think.

we leave our phones off unless in domestic port. family has emergency ship contact info if needed.

On a recent Glory cruise, I found that my cell phone did indeed work. However, I could hear my husband answer the phone, but he could not hear me. Another passenger asked me if I was having this trouble, as he was too. So, before your trip, warn whoever you call that this might happen and to just speak right up and say if all is well at home, or deliver whatever message is needed even though they aren't sure you are on the line. My husband knew it was me, but didn't think I could hear him. :confused: Enjoy your cruise. Mary Belle

Here is what I know for sure.

Att- $2.49 per minute flat fee

Verizon Wireless (my provider) $2.49 flat fee

T-mobile $4.99 flat fee

Sprint $2.49 flat fee.

With Verizon wireless, you will need international dialing (Idial) activated, this can be done with a quick call, no charge to have this activated, then dial *228 to download the new roaming list, (you will need to have a good payment history, and be in good standing, because they are essentially extending you credit for international roaming)

With Verizon you can leave your cell phone on if you want to, you will NOT be charged unless you answer it whether or not a voice mail is left. This was told to me by the rep in the international department, and I found this to be true when on my last cruise.

Calling cards will make no difference in the per minute.

Hope this helps

MAC

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/roaming/step1.jsp?CIDL=&CTN=&MNC=&DID1=&DID2=&devicenum=1&STEP=1

Someone had posted this site that allows you to put in where you are going, what carrier you have and even the type phone you have. It will then tell you what your charges will be per minute at each port. For me Mexico was .99 and Cayman and Jamaica was 1.99. Definitely worth it for a quick call home to be sure all is well. And to rub it in that we're on a cruise, in the tropics, on an island, lots of sunshine, great tan and a drink in our hand:D :D

Archived