Snorkel: St Martin or Antiqua?

phrankbama

Snorkeling from a beach is not great in St Maarten. Dawn beach is good if the surf is down. It is better off a boat. Captain Alan has a 3 island snorkeling tour- an internet search will show his website ( just add dotcom).

Long Bay in Anigua is supposed to have a reef, but most people recommend Eli's Eco tour for the best snorkeling

I know that you asked about Antigua and St Martin and I have spent recent land vacations on both islands and I didn't find great beach snorkeling at either but I went to Sapphire beach in St. Thomas and there was really great snorkeling right off the beach there. I don't know if you are going there but maybe it will be of benefit to another reader.

Karysa

CRISP1.... did you use Captain Alan? Did you like it? Is the 4 hours enough time to enjoy all 3 islands? Any review and info would be great. we're cruising in 3 and a half weeks and are trying to finalize everything.

You're cruising before we are. We've been to St Martin several times before and I find the snorkeling weak. Our last time there we booked the Golden Eagle to Tintamarre and it was cancelled due to high winds. Captain Alan's itinerary looks good, maybe 45 min - 1 hr at each stop. Green Key is supposed to have good snorkeling, we've been to Pinel- nice but the snorkeling near shore was lousy- I hope Cap A knows where the action is.The restaurant there is excellent. Our original intent on the Golden Eagle was to enjoy the mud baths and take a swim ( dw doesn't snorkel and I can always find something to keep me busy ;)

If you decide to book Captain Alan, please post your review here afterward. Thanks

Snorkeling from a beach is not great in St Maarten. Dawn beach is good if the surf is down. It is better off a boat. ...Long Bay in Anigua is supposed to have a reef, but most people recommend Eli's Eco tour for the best snorkeling
For both islands, the snorkeling is best from a boat. I would give the nod to Antigua. Cades Reef and Paradise reef are pretty good

Sometimes I feel like it's a secret that I shouldn't be letting out, but (and I've mentioned it here many times) I think that the best snorkeling on St. Martin is at Creole Rock.

There are many ways to get there.

The all-day Golden Eagle visits.

There's the Sand Dollar, out of Simpson Bay.

Grand Case Beach Club has trips offered.

Rhino Riders show up there sometimes.

There are probably more, but don't write-off St. Martin snorkeling until you've tried Creole Rock.

gary

Okay Gary, now that you've let "the cat out of the bag", who is the best independent snorkeling company to book with in St. Martin that will take us to Creole Rock?

We will be snorkeling with our daughters, ages 14 and 18.

How deep is the water in this area?

Thanks!

I'd be very interested to hear more about Creole Rock as well, we'll be with a group of seven very interested snorkelers. I've done the underwater park on St. Thomas (or was that St. Jonh?) many years ago, and the water was amazing. Perfectly clear, tons of fish, and lots of fun. That was my introduction to Caribbean snorkeling, and I can't wait to go back. ANYONE with St. Martin snorkelling experience, I'd love to hear about it!

• 3 months later...
Hello,

The best snorkeling spot is defenitely not Creol Rock but Green key and even Ile de Pinel and Tintemarre offer 10 times better snorkeling. The best snorkelingtrip is the Three-island snorkeling trip. A fun filled trup for young and older. Captain Alan is your man. www.captainalan.com

We did the 3 island snorkeling trip with captain alan and it was great- we were booked with his other boat with Paul, but because of mechanical problems we did it with Alan :rolleyes: It was an adventure. 6' seas, showers, but still a good day. The mud baths were great, the snorkeling at Pinel average, Green key was good, but not the best. If you've been to St Maarten before and seen the usual sites and are lookin for somethin different- do this excursion, Capt Alan and Paul do everything they can to give you a great day

Archived