customer service?? I'm stunned!

IamVick

Long story short......leaving this Sunday on the Millenium. Several months ago our reservation was "accidently cancelled" because Celebrity double booked our cabin. We were assigned a different cabin. Normally, not a big deal, but we are sailling with a group and had all of our cabins together. Not anymore. We were very upset that no one had notified us of the cabin switch or even the error.

Sidebar.....the emails referenced below are exact quotes, with only the names of the Celebrity representative and the TA's name omitted.

Back and forth between emails between us, Celebrity, and TA, and and ultimately got this email through our TA from Celebrity

"I will look into this....at a minimum, if Customer Service does not agree to do anything, I will do a week of sailing upgrade request (meaning if a higher category is available within approx. 1 week from sailing, client will be upgraded at no charge…again, if available), I can also do a $50 refund (if I can’t an OBC of $50) and if they drink wine, I can put a bottle of wine in their stateroom."

Yesterday there was an upgrade available (one cabin left) and we followed up with our TA yesterday and today about the promised upgrade. This morning our TA forwarded us this email from Celeb "I have the booking number and VERY good explanation........I think the client should be reminded that as a gesture of goodwill I also did a price adjustment out of my budget on this booking....I also sent wine.....AND i have said Repeatedly, this upgrade will NOT be considered for upgrade any more than 7 days prior to sailing (could be 5 days, could be 4 days, but NO MORE than 7 period)....January 31, Feb. 1, 2, 3 are all outside the "window" for week of sailing upgrades....those are the dates your agent referenced as a stateroom being "available"......in addition, there is more to be considered than just what can be seen by the agent....Revenue may have "Guarantees" to fill...we may be overbooked in a category, etc."

Let me state that to this date, we have received NO price adjustment.

We sent TA an email back asking "I think we are entitled to an explanation from @@@@ about why he didn’t do what he said he would. I am referencing your email below. Again, an example of extremely poor customer service on Celebrity’s part. They certainly aren’t doing anything to help their cause with us. An upgraded cabin was available Sunday and Monday (1 week out from sailing, and based on this email, we should have received it). Also, celebrity needs to be informed that their employee is giving customers blanket promises and not going willing to go through to fruition. Unfortunately, as the TA, you have been thrown into the middle of this mess. I understand this is may be beyond the scope of your services. If so, please give us the information we need to contact Celebrity directly as well as the “permission” to have us directly discuss our reservation with them."

This is the email I just got from my TA

"I must step back and indicate that myself and AGENCY NAME are caught in the middle by RCCL policy that only the agency can contact the cruise line. RCCL has built a customer service platform that is based on the word NO! This run-a-round is not unusual and I guarantee when we get the next email from @@@@ he will blame it on some other department.

I just want you to be aware that in my opinion you are not going to get anywhere beyond this with RCCL management. There position will be the upgrade was based on availability and the availability was not there at the “______” time?

As I stated I am awaiting another email from @@@@. I will forward his answers to you. RCCL is a company that could care less about anything except the bottom line."

I'm stunned! I don't know if I'm looking for advice or suggestions....I just I'm just stunned at the appalling customer service on Celebrity's part and the fact that my TA even would put that in writing!

Are any of these e-mails from Celebrity? They all appear to be from the travel agent who is reiterating what Celebrity told them.

Is it possible that the travel agent made the mistake? I once had an experience where a travel agent sent me their confirmation for a cabin I had booked and I decided to check Celebrity's website to see its exact location. When I did I was surprised to see that Celebrity was showing that cabin as available, so I called Celebrity to find out why they were still offering a cabin that I had booked. I then learned that Celebrity had me in a different cabin and that the travel agent made a mistake. Fortunately, I caught the error in time and was able to resolve the problem.

I'm sorry you're experiencing such frustrating circumstances.:( A week before your cruise the only frustration you should have is trying to reduce the amount of shoes you're taking. I sincerely hope that everything comes together very soon for you.

Isn't it possible for your TA to speak to the X reps supervisor? It sounds like HE'S the problem. Whatever happens, don't let this spoil your cruise. When you get back, however.....;) Good luck!

Denise

Are any of these e-mails from Celebrity? They all appear to be from the travel agent who is reiterating what Celebrity told them.

Is it possible that the travel agent made the mistake? I once had an experience where a travel agent sent me their confirmation for a cabin I had booked and I decided to check Celebrity's website to see its exact location. When I did I was surprised to see that Celebrity was showing that cabin as available, so I called Celebrity to find out why they were still offering a cabin that I had booked. I then learned that Celebrity had me in a different cabin and that the travel agent made a mistake. Fortunately, I caught the error in time and was able to resolve the problem.

SS - I hadn't considered that possibility. So, if the original error was made by the TA, the TA should make up the difference. Makes sense. Either way, at this point, the OP is left hanging.

Tell me SS, you're a savvy traveler, did you use that TA again?

Happy cruising!

Denise

I do believe you have a customer service issue. As a TA, I also believe your TA should be handling this without sending you the emails that are making you even more upset. Personally I think it is very unprofessional to do this...but just my opinion.

In one of the first emails the rep stated ...

"I will do a week of sailing upgrade request (meaning if a higher category is available within approx. 1 week from sailing, client will be upgraded at no charge…again, if available), "

If this was not acceptable it should have been dealt with at that point. It does seem that you are outside the window that the rep gave. I am not saying I agree with the attitudes, but it seems that the original compensation was accepted by you and the TA.

The TA should be contacting their DSM..by the way...what department is this person from at RCCL? At one point he says

"at a minimum, if Customer Service does not agree to do anything...".

If this is an answer from the DSM your agent should be contacting higher folks than that.

I do hope you get this resolved...again, I don't feel the emails should be sent to you...your TA should be handling it without stressing you out. In all hosty I would love to see the emails that the TA sent to RCCL...doubt she would let you see those!

It sounds like you are not going to get anywhere with an upgrade. I'd take the $50.00 OBC (I'm unclear if that is from your TA or Celebrity) and have a great cruise.

When you get back write a letter to the President of your experience. Btw, I have the name of the Rep who said I would get OBC in leui of the fuel surcharge.....

There never has been an OBC issued or an adjustment. We have seen nothing yet. To answer a few other questions, the emails are from his Celeb contact who is a DSM. I have his name, I obviously can't state it here. I agree it is unprofessional for the TA to be forwarding his correspondence between him and Celeb to me, and speechless that he would slam Celeb in such a fashion.

BUT.....we still haven't gotten a decent answer from the Celeb DSM as to why we didn't get the upgrade we were promised, when it was clearly available.

Finally, we never asked for the upgrade. It was just what the DSM offered my TA if he could get it to us with approximately a week to sail, which we are.

Shoot..tried to post and never went through...

A couple suggestions:

Your TA can send you a confirmation showing the OBC. OBC usuually will show once onboard...but if you have it in writing it can be taken care of quickly if it doesn't show.

Once you receive that, tell your TA that you want to speak to their supervisor regarding the emails that have been going back and forth..(believe me, their supervisor will NOT be happy). If that doesn't happen (which I kind of doubt, due to the fact that the agent should never be sending you somewhat confidential correspondence between a DSM and an agency) explain that you will be sending the CEO of Celebrity and any other high ranking person the copies of the emails . I will almost guarantee you that this type of situation will get noticed and you will receive some very quick responses! I also want to say that I am a TA and it really irks me that you had to go through this mess...the TA should have been able to handle this without you having to go through the stress.

I think everything will work out for you, but you should not be going through this the week of vacation.

Please keep us updated!

Week prior complimentary upgrades are NEVER guaranteed!!!!!!!!!!! Requests are sent to the proper department..... and they are either accepted or denied. NEVER guaranteed. Doesn't matter who you are or aren't. Requests are not even taken unless within the 7 days prior to departure window.

The soonest the upgrade REQUEST could have been addressed would have been Monday as the department which handles them doesn't work weekends.

As to the rest..wow.. is all I can say.

Once you receive that, tell your TA that you want to speak to their supervisor regarding the emails that have been going back and forth..(believe me, their supervisor will NOT be happy). If that doesn't happen (which I kind of doubt, due to the fact that the agent should never be sending you somewhat confidential correspondence between a DSM and an agency) explain that you will be sending the CEO of Celebrity and any other high ranking person the copies of the emails . I will almost guarantee you that this type of situation will get noticed and you will receive some very quick responses! I also want to say that I am a TA and it really irks me that you had to go through this mess...the TA should have been able to handle this without you having to go through the stress.

Please keep us updated!

I appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately, my TA is the owner of the agency. But I will get him to send me confirmation of the OBC, that's good advise. At this point, I wouldn't hesitate to try to talk to someone at Celebrity directly, I just don't know who or how to go about it. This morning, oOur call to Celebrity customer service was fruitless.

This reminds me of X' attitude and performance when I suffered a similar problem... only it wasn't discovered until we checked in onboard; DW and I were separated from the cabin with our young children!

Don't expect things to get any better, in my experience the only thing that increased was the line's indifferent complacence and my dissatisfaction!

But I didn't throw in the towel with the line (it was my first X cruise, 4th cruise overall) however I'll NEVER be counted as an X cheerleader. I just hope for a nice cruise...

Sorry for your frustration. Hope the cruise overall works out.

SS - The emails from celebrity to TA are marked as such in OP. TA forwarded the emails to us in his correspondence, leaving out the rep's email address. When this happened a couple of months ago, Celebrity did admit it was their error, that's why the upgrade was offered.

In one of the first emails the rep stated ...

"I will do a week of sailing upgrade request (meaning if a higher category is available within approx. 1 week from sailing, client will be upgraded at no charge…again, if available), "

If this was not acceptable it should have been dealt with at that point. It does seem that you are outside the window that the rep gave. I am not saying I agree with the attitudes, but it seems that the original compensation was accepted by you and the TA.

The TA should be contacting their DSM..by the way...what department is this person from at RCCL? At one point he says

"at a minimum, if Customer Service does not agree to do anything...".

If this is an answer from the DSM your agent should be contacting higher folks than that.

LV - we are inside the window as we leave on the 10th and inquired yesterday. Clearly within the "approx. 1 week from sailing" stated by the DSM in his original email a couple of months ago. And there has been no compensation, we never saw an adjustment, and were waiting to see if we would get the upgrade.

Again, this issue is that I think the DSM just made big promises, figuring that he wouldn't have to make good on them. He's backpedaling today, and that's just VERY BAD customer service, especially when we have it all in writing.

I REALLY appreciate everyone taking their time to offer suggestions and welcome any more.

This is very disturbing. I cannot understand why they did not move the other people, since you were the ones within the group. That would certainly have made the whole situation a little more acceptable. The other folks might have even been willing if the information was shared with them.

On my recent cruise I was asked to trade with a family who wanted to keep there young teens close by - while still giving them a little independence.

This seemed like a reasonable request and made to difference in the type of cabin. All was well.

The promises made are just that......promises. We could all write a book on the number of promises broken. Sorry you had to go through all of this.

Hoping the cruise will be wonderful and the outcome will be beneficial to all.

Cathy

Received notification from TA last night with DSM's direct contact number. He wishes to speak with us directly!

TA said that never in 28 years of doing business has he ever seen this before.

I will post another update after we have our telephone conversation.

This reminds me of X' attitude and performance when I suffered a similar problem... only it wasn't discovered until we checked in onboard; DW and I were separated from the cabin with our young children!

Don't expect things to get any better, in my experience the only thing that increased was the line's indifferent complacence and my dissatisfaction!

But I didn't throw in the towel with the line (it was my first X cruise, 4th cruise overall) however I'll NEVER be counted as an X cheerleader. I just hope for a nice cruise...

Sorry for your frustration. Hope the cruise overall works out.

What did they do to resolve the situation and how did this happen? We have minors in their own cabin. Had to be in the same quadrant on the ship. You can not do a guarantee with two cabins involving minors because the cabins may not end up near each other.

Regarding Celebrity, well this will be my first X cruise and the pre-cruise customer service is horrible. The worst I have ever encountered.

This is very disturbing. I cannot understand why they did not move the other people, since you were the ones within the group. That would certainly have made the whole situation a little more acceptable. The other folks might have even been willing if the information was shared with them.

On my recent cruise I was asked to trade with a family who wanted to keep there young teens close by - while still giving them a little independence.

This seemed like a reasonable request and made to difference in the type of cabin. All was well.

The promises made are just that......promises. We could all write a book on the number of promises broken. Sorry you had to go through all of this.

Hoping the cruise will be wonderful and the outcome will be beneficial to all.

Cathy

I must have had the pursers from the Planet 'Sorry'... We were misbooked (not by the TA) and separated from our young kids.

X staff refused to communicate to facilitate a cabin switch and relocate a 'mirror' situated cabin (identical cabin class and location - from port to starboard verandas). Adament in refusal to help. Further, staff acted miffed when I successfully enlisted the cooperation of the gracious family whose cooperation solved the problem. The pursers acted miffed again when I had the timerity to push for $50 OBC for the family whose departure afternoon was disrupted by the switch I'd accomplished (without staff assistance even moving luggage). They refused to let me speak with a hotel superviser... I was talking sweet the entire time... I never sought anything for myself (but a little service solving the problem the line created).

The pursers finally got rid of me by promising a bottle of champagne and

an hors d'ouvre plat to the moved family. Later I learned that they reneged on that and substituted a basket of fruit...

Such was my introduction to 'classy' Celebrity service.

GOOD LUCK!

Hopefully, someone at X is reading these and wants to distinguish the line... It's not rocket science or difficult... even on boarding day.

This is very disturbing. I cannot understand why they did not move the other people, since you were the ones within the group. That would certainly have made the whole situation a little more acceptable. The other folks might have even been willing if the information was shared with them.Cathy

Cathy, that was my original thought to move the other guests. I understand the customer service has been terrible and promises broken. I also understand that any amenity or upgrade was based on giving away the OP's cabin.

What I am trying to understand is if nothing is given (although it sounds like something will be done today) where is the OP now? Are they still in the same cabin category? Are they on the same deck as their group? I am not making excuses for Celebrity in any way, but how bad was the reassignment and what is fair compensation for the inconvenience?

What did they do to resolve the situation and how did this happen? We have minors in their own cabin. Had to be in the same quadrant on the ship. You can not do a guarantee with two cabins involving minors because the cabins may not end up near each other.

Regarding Celebrity, well this will be my first X cruise and the pre-cruise customer service is horrible. The worst I have ever encountered.

I posted the prior before seeing your inquiry. We booked a veranda with an inside quad across the passageway (family of 6). I sat in my TAs office as he made the reservations and explained the family booking requirements (this wasn't a moveable guarantee deal).

Summit (Vista deck, M class) has port and starboad verandas and a single rather than double row of inside cabins. The numbering is such that the shore reservations staff mistakenly thought that they had made the correct reserve when they actually reserved a veranda on the port side and a quad accessed from the starboard side passageway. Flipping the veranda booked with its mirror opposite the booked quad was the solution which staff absolutely refused to assist in facilitating... the rest is above... It was a VERY unpleasant introduction to X.

I posted the prior before seeing your inquiry. We booked a veranda with an inside quad across the passageway (family of 6). I sat in my TAs office as he made the reservations and explained the family booking requirements (this wasn't a moveable guarantee deal).

Summit (Vista deck, M class) has port and starboad verandas and a single rather than double row of inside cabins. The numbering is such that the shore reservations staff mistakenly thought that they had made the correct reserve when they actually reserved a veranda on the port side and a quad accessed from the starboard side passageway. Flipping the veranda booked with its mirror opposite the booked quad was the solution which staff absolutely refused to assist in facilitating... the rest is above... It was a VERY unpleasant introduction to X.

Hi, sorry you had to repete this. It looks like we were posting at about the same time and you had already answered my question.

Hi, sorry you had to repeat this. It looks like we were posting at about the same time and you had already answered my question.

All the cruise lines are pretty much the same. If you have a simple question, most times you can get a reasonable and satisfactory answer. If your problem is more complex, they give wrong or conflicting answers with no consideration for the guest. You would think there would be an effort to help a first time guest or cultivate loyalty. Top management is the blame. Institute service like they do on their ships.

All the cruise lines are pretty much the same. If you have a simple question, most times you can get a reasonable and satisfactory answer. If your problem is more complex, they give wrong or conflicting answers with no consideration for the guest. You would think there would be an effort to help a first time guest or cultivate loyalty. Top management is the blame. Institute service like they do on their ships.

I agree with you in large measure; that's why I was taken aback by the 'No Can Do' attitude of the hotel staff on Summit. This was now a few years ago but they just refused to correct a glaring serious problem (albeit created by shore staffers).

I think Celebs servers, stewards, are great! Top notch. But this first, indelible, impression of mid-tier managers in problem solving was abysmal. I've dealt with the 'passenger logistics' department in dealing with disabled family members on a main competitor (Princess) with far more satisfying results. But there are Princess pax with horror stories too, so it depends on a lot of variables. The large lines are largely inconsistent when it comes to service problem solving. I like X on many levels and continued to cruise with them priodically, but I know first hand how aggravatingly unresponsive they can be when a glitch arises.

If you are travelling with kids in a veranda-quad combo TRIPLE check the cabin numbers (the number sequences can tricky and result in 'somewhere over the rainbow').

Archived