for those who have also cruise royal caribbean

Qino2

We will take our first celebrity cruise next month, and my brother is concerned that the food in the dining room will be too fancy or too French for his tastes.(he has very simple tastes, yet loves the food on royal caribbean) Can anyone comment on how the food compares to RCI dining room? Thanks

Qino2,

This is a really hard question, because it is such a matter of personal taste. We have sailed a few times times on both lines and find the food to be far superior on Celebrity, based on what we like. IMHO the entrees are more sophisticated and better presented and prepared. As I recall, there is usually a pretty wide array of menu choices each night, and there is a list of more simple items available every night if he doesn't see something that looks good to him. On our last Celebrity cruise, these included a steak, grilled salmon, Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, and others.

Hope this helps!

Very subjective to determine what is enjoyable for others.

For me, I find the food on Celebrity to be a bit too fussy and saucy but I really enjoy the Aqua Spa for breakfast and lunch and then order from the Alternative menu at dinner.

Also, they are generally good about leaving off sauces and butter and cooking food as requested. I order a grilled or broiled fish for dinner and a side of whatever veggies look good to me that evening and have not had a problem.

OTOH, on RCI we go to the extra charge restaurants every night as we don't care for the selections in the dining room.

IMO, the quality of the ingredients is better on X and that matters to me but it might not matter to everyone.

I have to agree with the previous posters. I thought the food on the Celebrity line was far superior to RCI. On RCI, we thought the dining room food was so poor, we ate at the specialty restaurant almost every night. The dining room on Celebrity will do their best to accommodate. Enjoy!!!

I would agree that the food on RCI was poor. One poster, sometime ago, said it was like eating at Applebees. I agree. There is nothing wrong with Applebees and I do eat there, but when I am on vacation I do not want to eat there.

Celebrity has normally had very good food. There are sometimes when it does not meet my expectations. But, most of the time it does.

I would not be worried at all that you could not ask for the sauce to be left off, etc. We have never had a request turned down and the dishes have always come out the way it was requested.

As a male, if I could have Shrimp Cocktail, Ceasers Salad and Steak every night I would be a very happy person!!!!

I know where the OP is coming from. This isn't a discussion of comparative quality between the two cruise lines, it's about preferences in taste. My wife hates the food on Celebrity for the same reason...to French. My suggestion is for your brother to stick with the beef. It's generally pretty good and is much the same on a French menu or any one else's.

No the food in the main diningroom will not be too fancy or too french. There is plenty to choose from and the menus aren't wildly different from other cruise lines dinner items.

You can always get shrimp cocktail, caeser salad, steak if nothing else pleases you. I found the meals on my last Celebrity cruise to be pretty basic stuff. There is always pizza, sushi and pasta in the buffet.

Don't sweat the small stuff. You'll find plenty to eat- for every palate!

No the food in the main diningroom will not be too fancy or too french. There is plenty to choose from and the menus aren't wildly different from other cruise lines dinner items.

You can always get shrimp cocktail, caeser salad, steak if nothing else pleases you. I found the meals on my last Celebrity cruise to be pretty basic stuff. There is always pizza, sushi and pasta in the buffet.

Don't sweat the small stuff. You'll find plenty to eat- for every palate!

I am somewhat finicky myself. I still find Celebrity's food to be far superior to RCCL. The wait staff at Celebrity has always gone out of their way to ensure that my "selective" tatstes were accomodated. In fact, without my asking, the waiter knew I only prefered broth soups, (as opposed to the thicker creamier ones). There were none on the menu, so I passed on the soup that night. Low and behold, the waiter shows up with a broth soup, and said I was able to find this for you. This is just one example. They really do go out of their way to accomodate you.

This thread brings back memories of one of our first cruises on X. There was a group of people who consistantly complained about the food....when we reached St. Maartin we saw them rushing over to Burger King...Later at dinner ( next table ) they said they were SO happy to finally have had some good AMERICAN food.

It takes all types...

Personally the food was one of the things that got us hooked on X...We don't do fast food or chains unless there is nothing else AND WE ARE STARVING TO DEATH.

OUr comparisson from RCL to X wold be like saying fine dining (X) to Chilis or Fridays (RCL).

Sorry, but the incident is stuck in my mind...We're experiencing local food on a Caribbean island and the people we thought were snobs are scarfing down Whoppers.....

Dave:eek:

BTW: they DID follow the dress code.

Just returned home from a 12 day cruise on Galaxy and I can tell you that no one will go hungry on X. If the evening's menu doesn't have anything you like on it, there is always the choice of steak, fish, etc. available. I think there is no comparison between X and RCCL, X being much, much better. Enjoy your cruise!

Archived