Free-time ideas Juneau 5:30-9:30pm Food??

jellytheory

We are only in Junea from 2-10pm on a Tuesday (5-20) and I am booked with Temsco on a Pilot's Choice helicopter ride that will land at 5:30 and have me back to port at 5:45.

Is there much to do in the immediate area? Do you think I will be able to find something to keep us busy from 5:45 to 9:30pm? Wondering if I can just wing it, or if I need to pre-arrange some activities.

I'm not looking for anything too exciting, we will have a baby with us. I would just like to enjoy the last few hours, instead of boarding the ship. My husband enjoys photography, so I was thinking it would be nice if we could take a taxi to Mendenhall glacier, just for picks, but I'm not sure that allows us enought time.

-We will be whale watching, doing a zip-line tour, and a canoe ride on other ports, so for this free-time, I'd just like to maybe find a good restaurant or a pretty setting to hang out at.

Thank you!

DD

Everything always depends on the weather but I'll try to make some suggestions.

The baby will be with you? So you'll have a car seat for the ride out to the helicopter ride?

Some of the whale watching tours will drop you off at the glacier on the drive back to the docks, but I haven't heard of the helicopter tours doing that--they're past the glacier while WW's van drive sort of past the glacier.

So, back downtown after the helicopter, you could take the shuttle to the glacier, but may have to take a taxi back, since I believe the shuttle stops at 7pm. However, at $6.50 per person for the shuttle, vs. @$25 for the taxi, each way, it's a wash.

There's also the Tram, if the weather's nice. There's amazing views--there should still be snow in May--and hiking. Great photo opportunities. Even just 'hiking' up into the city neighborhoods of Starr Hill and Chicken Ridge will give great views and there's even some tiny parks with apparatus for a baby to play on.

At around 6pm and later, folks do start heading back to their ship, and this will give you quieter streets and sights if you've got the energy left to keep going.

I'd suggest going to the Wharf, the big blue building on the waterfront, and dine either at Doc Waters or The Hanger. Both have water views, and are middle of the road, kid-fine dining rooms. Afterwards, get ice cream at Chilkoot Cones and wander along the dock, watching the planes, boats, and see if anything wildlife-like is peeking back out of the water.

Archived