Notarized letter to bring kids without spouse?

dottieann

He will be 17 when he boards so RC will consider him a minor the entire cruise.

I understand the name linking. I still need a letter I was told over the phone since our last names differ. My ex didn't need anything but the BC. I have sole custody and my ex was able to take him out of the country with only his BC as he is the dad and they share a last name. I can't do that. It is discrimination when 1 parent (the father) can take the child out of the country..especially if that parent does not have custody but the other parent (the mom) has to jump through loops to get the paperwork and permission from the dad to take them.

I don't have any issues getting this letter as my ex and I are on good terms. It just really irked me that I needed to get HIS permission and he doesn't have to get permission from me.

He could have been stopped and asked - it's just luck of the draw not related to gender, name, etc., but only to the official you happen to be in front of. I've been asked a few times out of a dozen trips.

Best,

Mia

I was very shocked by this I was never told by Carnival that I needed this letter and when I have called them I have been given two different answers. One told me I needed for my 18 year old son along with my 13 she told me the 18 year is not an adult?? Another lady from carnival told me only needed this form if divorced. I am going to have letter notarized to be safe but I think they really need to be more accurate on getting info. out there for people??

It's not the cruise line, it's officials from the country you are entering/exiting. Carnival can tell you you don't need the letter to board and you can still be asked by immigration on return to the U.S. which could cause a delay in catching a flight, etc. As with most questions related to cruising, you can get a different "official" answer from everyone you talk to at the cruiseline.

Best,

Mia

Archived