POIPU BEACH CHOICES

MOMofONE

I just looked at a driving map of Poipu area and noticed that Poipu Area actually has several beaches between Spouting Horn and Shipwreck Beach: Longhouse, Hoa!, Waterhouse, Poipu, Poipu Park, & Brennecke's.

We will have about 2 hours in between time we drive Waimea Canyon and need to be in Port Allen for a Sunset Cruise, and thought Poipu would be a good diversion with our 11 yr old.
Can you suggest which one to head to?
One with restrooms & picnic area would be ideal but a less crowded one with good snorkeling is equally appealing.
Much Mahalo!
Tina

Facilities will be limited at most of these beaches unless they're an actual state park. Therefore, Poipu Beach Park is probably going to be your best bet if you're looking for shower facilities, bathrooms, and picnic tables. (I think ... I've only been to Poipu Beach Park itself so have no personal experience with the others ... oh, and I've seen Shipwreck Beach when I was staying at the Hyatt)

Spleen

Spleen

<A HREF="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm" TARGET=_blank>
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</A>
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

Once again, spleen to the rescue!
Thought the beach park might be best.
Boy, my review upon return will have to be like a 12 part post so I can include all the details that are being, thankfully, passed along to me!
Much mahalo again,
Tina

Aloha,
Poipu is awesome . . . you will love it. BUT here is the place to stop . . .
Upon returning from Waimea Canyon which is breathe taking & hope you have a clear day, cause the elevation is so high the clouds can mess up the total view.
Spouting horn is a most stop (even if just for 15 minutes which is all it will take if you just want to see the view) . . . there are also local vendors that are permenantly set up in open air little make stift 12 x 12 store fronts, with beautiful jewels @ great prices . . . Pearls are the best price here on the entire island, shop around to each hut first before making a decision & do some pricing.
Afterward keep heading toward Popui & stop @ the Lawai Beach RESORT beach(only 5 minutes from spouting horn & West of the BEACH HOUSE RESURANT. The snorkeling here is great (beach is small though & parking is on the North side of the street unpon which is also the restrooms, not sure about showers though) & you don't have to go out that far to see awesome . . . another advantage of this spot is the great surfing done in front of the BEACH HOUSE RESTURANT.
The 2x's we have snorkeled at this point we have seen trumpet fish, eel, tons colorful fish, seal & a beautiful sea turtle. The only warning is at the time you are planning to snorkel the tide is starting to get high & rough (that is why the surfers will be out) The coral is very sharp & along the shore line of the Beach House Resturant (so beware).
There are stone benches to sit on in front of the BEACH HOUSE RESTURANT & this area is grassed so you can watch the surfers or go snorkeling.
Enjoy!
Laurie

Thanks Laurie - certainly sounds worth a stop - can proceed to Poipu if it looks too rough after watching the more adventurous.Maybe do both beach stops.
And considered the Spouting Horn too, so happy for the heads up on this and the pearl vendors!!
Yes, we are hoping clouds will be minimal in Waimea. Hard to judge how much time we will be dividing between there and beach, since much depends on when we get our rental, how clear the view is up the canyon, traffic to and from, etc.
We are going to approach this day "on Hawaii time" so we will be in proper frame of mind for the NaPali Coast! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Much Mahalo - Tina

Tina
The Napali coast line is awesome . . . I'll never forget when we arrived in our rent a car we stepped out of the car into a cloud!!!!
If you run out of time to do everything & don't get the snorkeling in (for then this would require shower, clothe changing etc.) I would sit myself down on the benches of the grassed area in front of the BEACH HOUSE resturant & watch the surfers & view . . . truely breath taking. Your son will be amazed at the skill these kids have surfing. And this spot is one of the best on the South side of the island.
Enjoy!
Laurie

• 2 months later...
Kekaha at the bottom of tghe drag that goes up to Kokee and the canyon.

Salt Pond Beach Park on the way back from Waimea (free)

Be sure to see the swinging bridge at Hanapepe near Port Allen (free)

Also agree a stop at Spouting Horn is worthwhile (similar to La Bufadora in Ensenada or a blowhole that you may have visited) just a quickie and pop in the stalls there to browse for trinkets - then Lawai beach (limited parking) is nice and then go to Poipu and park near Brennekes and the surf shop there too - rare Hawaiian monk seals give birth on this beautiful beach and its regularly listed in Top 10 Beaches on Travel channel etc.

Have to agree with Laurie that the cove next to Beach House restaurant is good snorkeling. Of course, it always depends on the weather, but we had a good time there. The entry is easy and it wasn't crowded. Poipu Beach park is really good--especially for novice and/or young snorkelers. Either one (or both) would be a good choice.

beachchick

Archived