Snorkeling on an excursion..........

jnmrlk

Not sure if I am posting this question in the right place so please don't yell at me!!!

Looking to book a snorkeliing tour at either Tortola or Samana - one that I read said that you needed to be a good swimmer, I have 3 boys (teenagers) one is a great swimmer, the other do okay. My question is when they do the tours do they provide the floatation jackets or is pretty much only the snorkel and mask and go?? One of my boys is not sure if he wants to try this as he is nervous about the whole idea, if he had a jacket and could float around on the top first and get comftable I think he would be allot happier.

Can any-one help me here - or direct me to where I should look for answers - Thanks

Not sure if I am posting this question in the right place so please don't yell at me!!!

Looking to book a snorkeliing tour at either Tortola or Samana - one that I read said that you needed to be a good swimmer, I have 3 boys (teenagers) one is a great swimmer, the other do okay. My question is when they do the tours do they provide the floatation jackets or is pretty much only the snorkel and mask and go?? One of my boys is not sure if he wants to try this as he is nervous about the whole idea, if he had a jacket and could float around on the top first and get comftable I think he would be allot happier.

Can any-one help me here - or direct me to where I should look for answers - Thanks

I couldn't speak for every excursion on every island, but most operators I have witnessed offer some flotation option, be it a "noodle" or a swim vest. I know on the St John excursion or at NCL's GSC, a swim vest was mandatory if you were using their equipment.

Even a good swimmer can get a mouthful of water or cramp-up unexpectedly. For that reason, we always bring our own equipment, AND our own swim vests.

If you are concerned, you could always pick-up a swim vest at any dive shop prior to your trip. They are relatively inexpensive and pack down to nothing.

Cube

Every snorkeling excursion I have gone on required all snorkelers to wear a yellow inflatable bib type flotation device. You could inflate it or not as you wish. Most also prvided the "noodle" flotation devices on request. Enjoy.

Those little yellow vests provide some floatation, the flippers help with bouyancy, and just being in salt water helps you float, BUT if your son is concerned about his swimming abilities noodles are a great option or addition. I don't know about the snorkel excursions you are interested in, but sometimes the swimming ability issue comes into play when there are currents in an area. We were way out in the ocean on the Great Barrier Reef and noticed that the crew on the ship could spot noodle users in trouble very easily because the ends of the noodles are out of the water and VERY visible.

I was worried about having to pack floatation vests because of the space they take up, but if I can get ones that deflate that would be a great option for me - when I book the excursion will NCL know if they offer the vests if I ask or do you think I should pack them anyway?

I don;t think you need to pack them, I haven't been snorkeling yet where they haven;t told you have to put on a vest. We have our own equipment and they do not care, you have to wear a vest.

I am not a great swimmer, but snorkel all the time, after all snorkeling is nothing more than laying on top of water paddling along. If the current is to bad, I usually do not stay in the water, I opt to get back on the boat since I am not a strong swimmer, in fact I don;t think I can even be classified as a medium swimmer.

If your son is afraid then I would not push him to try it, the last time when we were in barbados, there was a young mother struggling in the water with a young boy, the guide took the boy from his mother and kept him throughtout the tour.

Not sure when you are cruising, so this may not work for you. Before our 1st land vacation to the Virgin Islands, I had my 3 children (ages 7, 11, and 14 at the time) practice with a snorkel and mask in the pool. Personally, I find that when I use the snorkel after not having done so for a while, I feel as if I'm not getting enought air at first. I realize this is not the part of snorkeling you were concerned about, but just thought I would share my experiences. Since the kids were somewhat familiar with the snorkel and mask, it made their first snorkeling experience easier.

Every excursion I have been on, whether on a cruise or land vacation, had either snorkel vests or noodles or something to use.

Depending on your excursions, it is also sometimes helpful to snorkel from shore before snorkeling from a boat. That way you can ease into it.

Have fun!!

Thanks so much for all your help - my youngest is 11, he is not a very daring child - unlike my 13 year old who wants to do it all!!!

He has a very over active (but negative) imagination and he always thinks the worse ie. a shark might eat him!

I am looking at taking one of the tours that takes you by boat to a spot to snorkel, I am hoping that it will be close enough to a beach that he can hang out in the shallows if he doesn't like the water.

I would say just let your 11 year old watch and see if it is something he wants to do. Sometimes the excursion leaders are good in encouraging reluctant passengers. But if he decides not, then ok. Maybe if he sees everyone else having fun safely, he may be willing to try it in the future, if not now.

As a parent, I have struggled sometimes with the line between encouraging my children to try something I think they will enjoy, and pushing them to do something they are just not ready for. That line constantly moves!!

Good luck and have fun!!

Archived