We've Done Cave Tubing - Have YOU zip-lined???

lawtyger

Hi,

We are looking for information on other people's experiences zip-lining in Belize.

My wife and I will be in Belize on March 13th (on the Carnival Legend). On our previous cruise stop in Belize we did the cave tubing adventure with X-treme. It was our favorite excursion. However, since we have done cave tubing (and also snorkeled Belize in the past) we thought we may try zip-lining. However, there is limited information on the boards when compared to the overwhelming discussion of cave tubing.

If you have zip-lined we'd love to hear from you and get some suggestions! (how did you like it, who did you book with, etc.) I've found about 4 or 5 outfits providing the zip-lining excursion. After looking through them we are also considering doing both zip-lining and cave tubing (again) since the package deals aren't that much.

Any advice, opinions, or information you have regarding zip-lining would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. If you are into zip-lining and have done it before, IS Belize the place to do it or are there other ports you would recommend instead (or example, other ports where you end up zip-lining more distance, greater heights, more towers [is that what they are called]. I saw Roatan had zip-lining also but when we are in Roatan we will always snorkel from shore at Tabyana.

Last year we did the combo zip lining and cave tubing and personally loved the zip lining better than cave tubing. If you haven't done it and are considering it- you need to do it- it was a lot of fun. We are looking at doing the extreme zip lining in Roatan next month. The zip lining in Belize requires you to use your hands to brake and the lines are below the tree canopy so you don't have much of a view, BUT the experience of flying through the air was amazing. You will love it:)

Good information, thanks. Let me ask you this. . . it appears the Belize zip-lining is $80 per person no matter who you go with. Basically, for $30.00 more per person, you cave tube 2 caves. When you did your combo:

(1) Who did you do your combo with?

(2) Did you do two caves?

(3) Did you not care for the cave tubing, or did the zip-lining end up being so awesome that the cave tubing while fun still, did not compare?

It has been several years since we did this tour- I am pretty sure we went with Yhonny. I am reading a lot about a Major Tom but don't remember his name from years ago when we went. They did a great job of taking care of us- met us right at the pier outside the building there in Belize ad helped us along the way the whole day. We did eat lunch in the tour as well after the cave tubing and zip lining. We only did one cave thought, I do remember that for sure. We walked quite a ways into the rain forest and then tubed down. There were several people in my group that loved the cave tubing better than the zip lining. My own opinion is the zip lining was more fun and exciting.

We are doing Belize next week. We did it in Feb. 07 also. Sorry I do not remember who we used privately, but we did both zip-lining and cave tubing and lunch. Now you have to remember that my DH and I are 50+ and did it with a group of six 23+yo of our kids. Unfortunately my DS and his friends are competitive extream BMX dirt jumpers (you know back flips etc.). That said, I think we all enjoyed the cave tubing best (including the boys) over the zip lining. The zip lining was kinda more factory like. Lots of people, and move you along. Don't get me wrong it is worth doing once. Not too thirlling not much sight seeing cause your looking at the upcoming platform and worring about running into someone or the person behind you going faster and catching up to you. If I never did it before I would do it for the experience and because it isn't that much $$$ difference to add it to cave tubing. This time in Belize we will just be doing the cave tubing.

JMO Hope that helps.

We are doing Belize next week. We did it in Feb. 07 also. Sorry I do not remember who we used privately, but we did both zip-lining and cave tubing and lunch.

LaShoe, first have a wonderful cruise next week. Out of curiosity, who are you cave tubing with next week?

Also, when you did cave tubing in February 2007, did you recall the water being low and/or getting stuck often down the river? I went in May and didn't have any major problems, but February appears to be the middle of the dry season so I'm curious if you recall any water level issues a year ago when you went.

We are doing Belize next week. We did it in Feb. 07 also. Sorry I do not remember who we used privately, but we did both zip-lining and cave tubing and lunch. Now you have to remember that my DH and I are 50+ and did it with a group of six 23+yo of our kids. Unfortunately my DS and his friends are competitive extream BMX dirt jumpers (you know back flips etc.). That said, I think we all enjoyed the cave tubing best (including the boys) over the zip lining. The zip lining was kinda more factory like. Lots of people, and move you along. Don't get me wrong it is worth doing once. Not too thirlling not much sight seeing cause your looking at the upcoming platform and worring about running into someone or the person behind you going faster and catching up to you. If I never did it before I would do it for the experience and because it isn't that much $$$ difference to add it to cave tubing. This time in Belize we will just be doing the cave tubing.

JMO Hope that helps.

With the cave touring did you end up going with the regular cave touring group and got tos ee all of the same caves. I noticed from one tour description that there is a one cave and two cave system.

Two years ago we did the cave tubing zip line combo through Royal Carribean. This time I am taking my kids and there is not a combo offered through Carnival so I have booked with Major Tom. The cave tubing was fun, I actually enjoyed the walk thru the forest more than the tubing. The zip lining was very exciting for me but I was kind of afraid so that may have added to the excitement. I would (and am) doing them both again. I think the price difference does not warrant dropping one or the other.

Bolt

Bolt, I completely agree, doing both for the price is the way to go.

I am very close to booking with Major Tom also (we will be on the Carnival Legend leaving 3/9). I'm just waiting to hear back from him regarding what he calls the "3 Cave System." Basically, I'm just trying to figure out how many caves Major Tom take you tubing through. I haven't heard back from him regarding this, but hope I do this evening.

When we went with Coral Breeze a few years ago, they called it a "1 Cave System" and took us through 2 caves (Carnival just took you through 1 cave). That is why I'm so interested in what Major Tom referred to as a "3 Cave System."

Since you are going with Major Tom, do you happen to have any information about the number of caves he takes you though?

We just did the cave tubing/zip line combo with Major Tom last week. Wish I was back there!! It was a great time. I had rapelled before, but had never done a zip line, so it was a lot of fun for me. I have no idea how it might compare to someone who's done it before. From what the guys were saying that operate the zip lines, Costa Rica must have a really good zip line system.

As far as what you can do together with the cave tubing. It will all depend on how fast the members of your tour can get to the port. We did not go through all the caves - I'm guessing it was just one we didn't do and I'm guessing it was due to time constraints. We had to wait for quite awhile for all the people to show up in port and even then we left before all showed up. Then we had to go tubing before the zip line, as the lines for the zip line were outrageous due to all the buses that were there. We still had a nice long trip through the caves and by the time we got to the zip lines, we pretty much had them all to ourselves. You have to be flexible, as the tour guides are doing the best they can to make sure you get the best possible experience. It didn't hurt our experience at all. It was great and I would do it again. And hopefully I would do it with a little more grace and agility!!;) Major Tom's crew is a class act and our guide Keith was wonderful.

We just did the cave tubing/zip line combo with Major Tom last week. Wish I was back there!! It was a great time. I had rapelled before, but had never done a zip line, so it was a lot of fun for me. I have no idea how it might compare to someone who's done it before. From what the guys were saying that operate the zip lines, Costa Rica must have a really good zip line system.

As far as what you can do together with the cave tubing. It will all depend on how fast the members of your tour can get to the port. We did not go through all the caves - I'm guessing it was just one we didn't do and I'm guessing it was due to time constraints. We had to wait for quite awhile for all the people to show up in port and even then we left before all showed up. Then we had to go tubing before the zip line, as the lines for the zip line were outrageous due to all the buses that were there. We still had a nice long trip through the caves and by the time we got to the zip lines, we pretty much had them all to ourselves. You have to be flexible, as the tour guides are doing the best they can to make sure you get the best possible experience. It didn't hurt our experience at all. It was great and I would do it again. And hopefully I would do it with a little more grace and agility!!;) Major Tom's crew is a class act and our guide Keith was wonderful.

Thanks for your review of your tour in Belize. My DW and I have just booked this combo with Major Tom for March 6 whilwe are in port with the NCL Spirit. Am looking forward to alot of fun and excitement.:)

We were in Belize on 2-6-08 and did the cave tubing and zip lining. Both were awesome. Someone said the we were in the cave about 1.5 miles. I'm not real fond of heights, but the flying through the air was great while zip lining, but when I was on the platforms I was really nervous. We booked it through Reggie's Tours (regtour.com) after I read about reviews on his excursions on cruisecritics.com. He was just great; a perfect host, guided us through the "rapids" while tubing and pulling us away from the rocks when we got too close. He provided beer/wine/water (for an extra charge)on his bus because I had asked for it when I booked with him. Reggie's wife, Shelly, rode in the bus with us (we had a group of 16) and it was fun talking to her because we learned a lot about the culture in Belize. Reggie did a great job and I know everyone in our group would use him again if they ever visit Belize again. regtour.com

My wife and I did the cave tubing zip lining with Yhonny in November. I think we paid around $105. The zip lining was a lot of fun and they took extreme caution to make sure that we would always be hooked up to something for safety.

Yhonny had us use his ATVs for free which was muddy fun.

Archived