Just off Spirit 2/3-2/10 sailing!

NolaGirl99

We have been home for a few hours now and I have to say all in all it was a GREAT time!

Embarkation was quick and easy. They gave us some trouble when we asked to be directed to Windows to eat--I found this to be a theme all week while the staff was friendly many if not most of them could not answer a question or answered it incorrectly---we were shuffled along to Raffles "sanitized" and led to the buffet. It was OK since we were starving. Staterooms were ready at just before 2:00.

Our stateroom 10580 Balcony-Forward was quite warm--I opened the sliding glass balcony door and all was well (or so I thought ) . Our luggage arrived quickly. We spent the evening watching the Superbowl. We ate fish and chips, hamburgers and chicken wings from Blue Lagoon while watching the game and did not "officially go to dinner." This was a nice option!

By Tuesday AM I realized the stateroom AC was broken and the further south we sailed the more uncomfortable the room became. I must say that within 1 hour of a call for repair they had the entire ceiling down in my stateroom--it took them quite some time to fix the problem because I went back twice to fetch items and they were still working. They fixed it and before our LATE (nearly 4PM) arrival in Roatan the room was cool.

I was quite pleased with everything until Thursday we began have problems getting beach towels replaced. (NCL should rework this entire system--this is my 10th cruise and the first one that I have ever had a problem getting beach towels on.)

Then Friday morning was a TRUE MESS.

We arrived a little late in Cozumel-- many of us had NCL excursions booked that asked us to meet on the pier for 8:20, others had met at 7:45 in the Stardust Theater, still others had independent tours or just wanted to get off the ship. They began letting us off the ship at about 8:00 but wanted to empty the theater first. Well everyone was crazy. It was like an angry mob. NCL could easily avoid this. They need to plan the meeting times and places better. The people who work the shore excursion desk are very nice but the do a crummy job of moving the crowds to excursions . (My mother and I were also completely lost trying to follow a group from the Stardust Theater on our Discover Roatan tour.)

Later Friday,I was slightly annoyed when I was asked to leave Windows at dinner for wearing "shorts". Well I wasn't going to argue skort, Skirt, Shorts. I felt as if I was dressed up as I was wearing heels, a nice blouse and a skort (Knee length.) Well , a higher up saw our group and before I could turn to leave she ran over and said "Skirt in front, you tricked us, its ok" I guess they had just seen my back view which just looks like shorts( but honestly even from the back it looks more like a skirt to me). I was very surprised as I considered what I was wearing MUCH dressier the jeans and the warmups ( yes warmups ) that some others had on . Strictly speaking the dress code posted says no shorts or torn jeans after 5pm. Anyway it ended ok but it was annoying.

The food was just OK but we learned to find what we liked. We thought the stir fry was the best thing in Raffles. As it is cooked fresh-- seems like much of the food here is leftover and a little stale.

We also had a problem with our bill-- to make a long story short we were charged for 2sets of "pull tabs" at bingo and only got and only wanted one. My hubby signed the charges for 2! The line was long, he was trying to hurry ........ This AM we saw the mistake on the bill-- we took it as high up the ladder as we could , but we were told "he signed it ,we pay it" Thank Goodness it was only $20.00. MORAL----check every bill before you sign!

As I proofread it looks like I had a miserable time! I promise this is not the case. The Spirit is a beautiful ship! We had a wonderful time with just a few minor problems.

Let me know if I can answer any questions!

Archived