spending money

giglebug

We have not sailed on the PD yet, so I'll leave the prices to others.

As for your budget, it really is a personal thing. How much do you drink? Do you gamble? are you going to make duty free purchases?

After 7 or so cruises, I still write up a bit of a spending budget listing items such as: Shore tours, Gifts, Souvenirs, Alcohol, Gambling, extra snacks/refreshments, Tips, spending in ports and so on. Then I try to "guesstimate" how much we should allow in these categories. After I come up with a figure, I add 20%.

I hope you enjoy your cruise

To estimate your spending money, consider the following:

1. Do you like a drink? A bottle of wine will set you back around $25, while individual drinks (cocktails etc.) would be around $6.50 or so.

2. Gambling?? The sky is the limit.

3. Shore tours. If you do some research and check out this forum, you can do your own thing at a fraction of the cost of ship's tours. Up to you.

4. Duty tree. Most people buy their limit of alcohol (that would be over $50pp).

5. Souvenirs. You might only buy a few trinkets, or a shirt or sarong. On the other hand you might go for something more extensive like black pearls!!

6. Tips. There is a standard amount per person. This is not compulsory. On the Pacific Sun it is $5.50 per day per passenger.

7. Optional extra food - You can go to the grill for a meal ($20pp) or buy a hamburger, pizza or chips. This is not necessary as there is food available most of the time from around 6am to probably 10pm or so.

I have come across an occasional person on a cruise ship who states proudly that they do not spend a cent on top of their cruise fare. I think that is going to extremes, but I have heard of others who spend more on drinks etc. than they have spend to buy their ticket.

As someone else has said, this is purely a personal thing. Just enjoy, and don't worry too much about spending a few extra dollars to enjoy your holiday.:):)

Archived