Quest - Best Of Italy

kuddles 2008

My sister and I are so excited to be going on our "dream of a lifetime" cruise vacation this September. We have booked a sky suite, room 8073, located at the back of the ship. Is this a good place to be located? We thought it might be quieter but now are wondering about movement on the ship.

Also, having never done this before, is it wiser to let the cruise line take care of all the arrangements, flights, transfers, hotels prior to boarding etc.? We thought by their taking care of everything we won't have to worry about a thing and would be "safer".

Any input on these items, helpful hints or "must do" excursions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm on the Quest April 26 RT from Rome with overnights in Sorrento, Venice and Livorno and I believe there is a September cruise with the same ports so if you provide the date of your cruise, I can let you know if you are going to the same places were are visiting.

When we booked air was included so I asked for custom air as we are elite members with Celebrity. Got exactly the flights we wanted and were able to get seats assigned within a few days of the flight confirmation. We are going to Rome a week early so can use their transfer to the ship but we are using the transfer from the ship to the hotel.

I haven't seen any shore excursion options yet so are making our own plans in the ports.

Feel free to come over to the roll call for our cruise so see what folks are discussing. You can find my email in a couple of my posts so you can email me privately and we can "talk".

I check this board fairly often so will look for a response from you here.

Marilynn

Hi Kuddles ... welcome to CC! :) We are booked on Quest 4 weeks after you, so I can't advise on your cabin location, but the cabin itself sounds very nice. I know it's preferable to be aft rather than forward in rough seas, although when we did our Med cruise in Sept. '05, seas were very calm ... hopefully you'll have the same experience.

I agree that on your first cruise it's nice to have the cruise line take care of everything, and since you are starting in Rome, which is more than an hour's drive to the port, it will be even more convenient for you. The only disadvantage is that the cruise line usually charges more for hotels than if you book it yourself...but Azamara was offering reasonable air fares which may offset your extra hotel cost. Are you going to Rome a couple of days early?

Regarding excursions, two forums on Cruise Critic will be helpful:

The Roll Call for your cruise (since you mentioned Best of Italy, I'm including the link for the Sept. 13th sailing): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=621021

On this forum, you can talk to others who will be on your cruise, share ideas on excursions, and join a group for private tours if you wish.

The Europe/Mediterranean forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

To find info on the ports that you are interested in, use the "Search This Forum" function, found in the panel below the page numbers at the top of the forum page.

Hi Kuddles - Congrats on your first cruise. We are on this same cruise so come over & join us on the roll call & meet other cruisers & exchange ideas etc. We wont bite...:p

This is a fab itinerary lots to see & do - just dont try to do too much. Several folk are arriving in Rome a couple of days before & after the cruise.

We use Celebreity for our air tickets cos we dont have extra time for extra days & they take care of it all. OK - it will cost a bit more, but for me, its one less worry.

Marilynn - If you dont mind I might drop into your thread from time to time to pick up ideas. I am pretty sure its the same itinerary :)

Rome-Bari-Split-Venice(overnight)-Ravenna-Taormina-Sorrento(overnight)Porto cervo-Livonro/Florence(overnight)-Rome.

We have been to florence & Venice but there is still so much more to see & do.

ciao for now

jo:cool:

Jo...yes, same itinerary. I thought it was but was too lazy last night to go to the website to look. Our board is getting more active but still not like some other cruises I have taken.

I've been to Taormina, Sorrento, Venice and Florence so have information to share about them if that would be helpful to others.

Marilynn

Hi Marilynn,

We will be in Sorrento on our Ancient Empires Quest cruise ... we've been to Naples (Pompeii/Amalfi coast), so thought we would go to Herculaneum and/or Vesuvius on our own (via train). Capri is another thought, but only if the seas are calm for the ferry ride. And I guess we should leave some time for exploring Sorrento ... so much to see in so little time, but a good excuse to go back another time. If you have any suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

How nice that you'll have a week in Rome! ... we are planning on 3 days and if you don't mind my asking, where will you be staying? I've picked out a couple of B & B's based on Tripadvisor recommendations ... but still undecided.

I haven't seen Porto Cervo on other cruise itineraries ... is this a new one? On our cruise there are a few stops in Turkey along the Aegean that are new to Celebrity and which sound quite interesting.

Thanks,

I go along with the all-inclusive deal.

One cruise the inbound flight from a regional airport was late. The ship waited. If the 2 sisters booked an independent the ship might just put them down as a no-show. they may hang on a few minutes but not more.

Book inclusive and the company is contracted to get you to the ship even if it has sailed to another port.

Okay - I am also new at this forum business and I am feeling a little out of my depth here - so excuse me -

It is wonderful to find out there are others posting that are on the same cruise - the 13th of September .

I don't quite comprehend "roll call" - I took a quick glance and saw a bunch of messages but some of them didn't pertain so I am a little confused.

I am also pleased to discover that it is okay to be on the back of the ship - that helps to know.

My sister and I had planned on flying into Rome on the morning of the 9th or 10th and then perhaps staying at the International (if it is not absolutely insane). We figured if we went that way we would not have to worry about getting from the airport to the hotel - hotel to dock - dock to airport - saving money on the transfers kind of works out the extra cost for the hotel we thought.

I have seen lots of ads for private tour things or shuttle service - one thing we know for sure we want to go to the Vatican and do as much as possible for our very brief time there. As I mentioned this is our "dream of a lifetime" trip and will probably not be able to go back, unless of course we win the lottery or something.

So thanks again for all the helpful hints and info and corresponding prior to the trip.

Dianne

I'm on the Quest April 26 RT from Rome with overnights in Sorrento, Venice and Livorno and I believe there is a September cruise with the same ports so if you provide the date of your cruise, I can let you know if you are going to the same places were are visiting.

When we booked air was included so I asked for custom air as we are elite members with Celebrity. Got exactly the flights we wanted and were able to get seats assigned within a few days of the flight confirmation. We are going to Rome a week early so can use their transfer to the ship but we are using the transfer from the ship to the hotel.

I haven't seen any shore excursion options yet so are making our own plans in the ports.

Feel free to come over to the roll call for our cruise so see what folks are discussing. You can find my email in a couple of my posts so you can email me privately and we can "talk".

I check this board fairly often so will look for a response from you here.

Marilynn

Marilyn thanks so much - I can't wait to find out what you think of the cruise and ship - I am not sure if I am posting properly - I prepared a larger response but it ended up below - so do i respond to the individual post - or do I just put a reply at the bottom

Hi Dianne

No problem - it takes a while to get to know this site & what/where/who/how etc.

Roll calls are a way of getting folks together who are on exactly the same cruise. We can get to know each other in advance, chat, maybe share private tours, tips on what to see, where to go, who to fly with, hotels to stay in before or after or discuss anything you like. :p

We have one already going for 13 Sept so please ocme along to the thread & say hi. We are not as busy yet as Marilynn's rollcall date for April - so its great to have you along. We seem to be a mix of old & new cruisers.

If you look at the top of this page you should find a link to rollcalls.

Just scroll down the page to the one titled 'Quest sailing Sept 13' started by Katiekatie. Clik on that & you will find us. Hope to see you there.

regards

jo

Hi Susan,

As for Sorrento...in April of 2007 we were there on a private tour from the ship (we were docked at Naples) that had taken us down the coast in the morning and we were visiting Pompeii in the afternoon. We had lunch at a great restaurant just off the main square and then had one hour to shop. I found some beautiful leather purses (30 minutes of my "free" time) but could have spent several hours in that shop.

We will use our second day in Sorrento to explore the town center. The first day we are off to Pompeii and Herculaneum with the same company we used last year. As you may have seen on the board for the April 26 cruise I am traveling with a former co-worker instead of husband this trip so will be going to a few places I have visited before as they are on her list of things that she really wants to see.

Someone on our board reported that cruise calendar shows us stopping at Olbia not Port Cervo but the two are very near each other. I do believe it is a new port for cruises.

As for Rome, we are staying at Nicholas Inn which is on Cavour very near that Metro stop. Some folks from the April cruise stayed there and loved it. They have less than 10 rooms. We are paying 150 Euro per night. I booked them in June of 2007 for April of 2008 and they only had two rooms left so am guessing it is a fairly popular spot.

Most posters on our board are the "guys" so it is nice to be communicating with some ladies.

Kuddies - I see that you posted on the September 13 board so you've got it figured out. I'll try to take good notes during the cruise and report when we return. Please ask any and all questions so I will know what to "research" for you.

As for the aft cabin, I think it is a great choice. We had booked a balcony guarantee and, much to our surprise, we ended up with one of the family aft balcony cabins for a transatlantic crossing in September on the Constellation. John and I really loved the cabin. I spent part of every day out there. We were on Princess in Alaska one time and were upgraded to an aft balcony mini suite. What a great spot for that trip and again what a wonderful cabin.

As for hotel, we are staying at the Airport Hilton after the cruise as our flight leaves at 6:45am. The hotel has a free shuttle to Rome (takes about 30-45 minutes) and the train terminal is close to the hotel. The hotel is connected to the airport by a series of walkways so to get to the train you walk to the airport and then follow walkways back to the train. We stayed there in April and it took me a while to figure out what the "odd" noise was every now and then. I finally looked out the window and could see the train coming and going.

John and I traveled very light in April so we took the train from the airport to the main Rome train station, Metro to close to the hotel and then walked about 10 blocks. On the way to the port, we walked probably 30+ minutes to get the train station near the Vatican and took the train to the port. The walk to the port bus was less than 10 minutes from the train station. The free bus ride to the ship is required as the port is huge. On the return, we rode with three other couples via van to the airport.

Marilynn

LOL, I'm one of the "guys";) on the roll call for Quest April 26, 2008 with Marilyn.

Marilyn, didn't know you had been to Taormina before? What are your thoughts? We thought we'd just explore a little on our own and possibly seek out a decent beach if the weather is warm enough.

To the original poster (can't remember your name, sorry). This is probably our trip of a lifetime to Italy. I would highly recommend looking at the Europe Ports of Call board and really study the posts for the Ports you are visiting. A wealth of information (and opinions) can be found here. Also, I would recommend private tour guides for those places that might be a little overwhelming or intimidating, i.e. Rome. Yes, the are very expensive but I think the money will be long forgotten afterwards and you'll have better memories. Just MHO.

Good thing I didn't say anything negative about the "guys" on our board!

The Greek Theatre at Taormina is a must in my opinion. The view of the mountain from there is amazing. Attending a performance would have been such a treat.

There is a cable car that connects the beach with the town. I think using the cable car would be a great way to get up to the city - just need to figure out how to get there from where the tenders arrive. It arrives near the Greek Theatre.

Some beach time is a good idea.

The main street and square are interesting to explore. Several bake shops as well as spots for wine, lunch and/or gelato. I had a great lunch with wine at one of the cafes on a side street. Margo could probably drop a few (actually a LOT of) Euros in the stores...

The CC group on my April cruise chartered a bus from Messina. It was a big bus and the cost was 5 Euros each vs. the cruise line price of over $60 each. We parked part way up the hill right next to the bus from the cruise line vendor and took the elevator to the top of the town as did those from the cruise tour. So, yes, you can get deals by booking privately with your "new" friends.

The elevator was on the opposite end of town from the cable car and the Greek Theatre so we got to walk the length of the main street twice - all the more opportunities to spend money.

Marilynn

You will have a wonderful vacation and 'trip of a lifetime'.

1. Wear good walking/hiking shoes. If necessary, buy a pair and break them in on your training program. Walking is a MUST to see Europe.

2. If you do not walk regularly, START NOW. It doesn't matter how much, just get used to walking every day.

3. SMILE. Whether you speak the language or not, a smile will be understood and appreciated. The people you will meet (natives) see so many obnoxious people every week, they appreciate a smile more than you can imagine.

Diane-

I see that you and your sister want to see the Vatican. If your time in Rome is limited, this is one place where it might pay you to sign up for a tour that will take you there. The line to get in can be endless! It's not unusual to wait 2 hours or so just to buy a ticket. Your hotel might help you line something up. Just be prepared to have a fabulous time. Rome is a blast!

Hi Susan,

As for Rome, we are staying at Nicholas Inn which is on Cavour very near that Metro stop. Some folks from the April cruise stayed there and loved it. They have less than 10 rooms. We are paying 150 Euro per night. I booked them in June of 2007 for April of 2008 and they only had two rooms left so am guessing it is a fairly popular spot.

Hi Marilynn,

I've read great reviews on the Nicolas Inn on Tripadvisor and also on the Europe Forum here on CC. The only problem for us is the price difference between Nicolas Inn, @ 160E/night (early October), vs. 115E for another B&B which gets equally rave reviews on TA. Nicolas Inn is near the Colosseum/Forum, whereas the other B&B is near Piazza San Pietro. We are planning to stay for 3 nights. We are also going to take the train to Civitavecchia (have done it on a port day and feel that we can manage with luggage.)

Diane-

I see that you and your sister want to see the Vatican. If your time in Rome is limited, this is one place where it might pay you to sign up for a tour that will take you there. The line to get in can be endless!

Just a suggestion for any easy way to arrange Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel reservations if you are doing Rome on your own: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Servizi_Visite.html (Guided Tour For Individuals-Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel)

Reservations can be made up to 30 days in advance of your visit by sending a fax request. If you include your email address, they will confirm via email. After your museum/chapel visit, you have direct access to St. Peter's.

Susan,

Thanks for the information on the two spots in Rome. I usually read TA but this time took the word of a couple from our last cruise. They said that had such a great stay at the Nicholas Inn.

Last time we were there we stayed near the Vatican which made it so convenient to visit St. Peters that I went there on three different days. I did the evacuations tour under the church and found it to be very interesting. I can find the email address to make reservations if that would be helpful.

John and I were there on Sunday morning but didn't go inside. The bells started ringing around 8:30am and continued to ring until 9:00am. Then all of a sudden the video screens came on and there was the Pope performing mass. Quite amazing and made me wish that we had gone inside.

Another day I had a semi-private tour of the Vatican Museums that was to have up to 20 people. I was very lucky and there were only three of us with the tour guide. I have their website and email if anyone is interested.

I really enjoyed the shopping area down the hill from the Museum entrance. One store held my purchases while I went on the Vatican Museum tour. They were closed from 1 - 4 so I just came back after the tour and picked up my packages.

Marilynn

Vatican Tours inc.

http://www.vaticantoursinc.com

Peter Zalewski

phone 011 39 335 538 99 32

fax 011 39 06 972 500 84

Peter responds from both of these email addresses:

tours@vaticantoursinc.com or vaticantours@yahoo.com

We are using them again for this trip. Lee and I have reservations for Thursday, April 24. They are picking us up at our hotel at 9:15am.

Just went to the website...it's been upgraded since I was there last. More options for each of the tours listed. We are now considering using them for a tour of Ancient Rome.

Leisa was our guide last year. When I emailed her in June she said she will be there this year so hope that she is our guide again as she was informative. She is a friend of the manager (maybe not the correct title) of the Vatican Museums so she introduced us to him inside the Sistine Chapel. Later she told us that one of his duties is to assist the Pope when he is preparing for Mass. He does research for the Pope as well as helps him get dressed.

Randy...Can't remember (if I ever knew) when you arrive in Rome but if you are there on Thursday, we would love to have you and Cheryl join us.

Marilynn

Thanks for the invite Marilynn. We actually get to Rome on Thursday morning at 8AM,so joining you would be impossible.

Went to the website and I have two questions of you:

Is the 3 hour tour adequate time or should we opt for the 5 hours?

( I know the answer is subjective but I would be interested in your opinion)

Can you request to join a larger party and thus reduce the individual cost?

Cheers from sunny Tampa!

Hi Rantheman.... just wanted to mention that the website that I provided previously for the Vatican Museums is the official Vatican Museum site for purchasing individual tickets for group tours led by their guides (@23.5E/pp.) We chose this option when we were there because DH and I were touring alone. Booking ahead ensures that you won't have to stand in line.

Marilynn's suggestion is another option that many people prefer, due to smaller group sizes or being able to choose a particular guide. Also, those who do private shore excursions in groups of 6 or 8 often arrange a private tour guide for the Vatican museums.

Just wanted to explain the options as you mentioned your concern about the number of sites offering Vatican tickets. Some on-line ticket agencies offer tickets for Vatican tours provided by Vatican guides, but add a surcharge for buying through their agency.

Archived