Need Advice on Tipping - Please!

Johnboy1

My wife and I are going on our first cruise in a couple weeks. We are of the understanding that the tip is automatically included on the bill - as it covered the room and wait staff - and we could up it at the end - as many friends have told us to do. However, reading some of these comments I am wondering if we are also supposed make a special tip in the dining room too. We are not trying to be cheap at all but would like advise so we don't mistreat these folks that will have worked hard to serve us.:confused:

As best as I understand it...the auto tips cover everyone except, the Maitre D, casine staff, Camp Carnival staff, and spa staff. You can always increase the tip for superior service, or if someone fulfills a special request for you. Despite what you might read give what you are comfortable with, but (and this is my opinion) leave the auto-tips in place unless there is a problem, give extra if you desire or feel it's meritted.

Hubby and I normally give a lil extra to both the dining staff (don't forget the waiter's asst.) and the room steward above the amount of the automatic tips. If the Maitre D does not make the rounds of the dining room atleast once, we do not tip him. We place what ever figure we feel is appropriate in an envelope and present it to the staff memeber personally. If you do not feel that an additional tip is warranted, don't feel obligated.

On our December 07 cruise none of the staff stood out what-so-ever. They only did what was the basic requirements of their jobs, and none were the least bit friendly. Needless to say they only received the basic requirements of the automatic tips. Our cruise last week was a whole other story. The Maitre D was even at our table nightly to be assured everyone was happy. We passed out several envelopes before we left.

Above all, have a wonderful first cruise!

Now that all tips are included, we tip only those who we feel exceed what one would expect their job duty to be or for maybe a request beyond the norm.

In short, I would expect you to have to tip at least couple of people during your cruise.

Archived