FLL Cars - Rental or Taxi?

Dave in Atlanta

I've seen people discuss the advantages of both, and I'm in a quandry. (We were in a mini-suite, but got upgraded to a quandry...) We're sailing on the Caribbean Princess October 9, and flying to FLL on Thursday evening. We're staying Thursday and Friday nights at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort.

I understand you can rent FLL cars quite cheaply through Priceline, but the Marriott wants a cool $18 per day to park.

Will we spend more than $45 per day on taxis? (From airport, out for meals, sightseeing, etc.) Seems unlikely. Anyone know of any cheap parking near the Marriott?

I wouldn't worry too much about spending that kind of money on taxis! There are tons of things near your hotel, and most Marriotts offer free service to local attractions/restaurants. I know whenever we stay in Atlanta at the JWMarriott at Lenox we can get free town car service to all the restaurants on Peachtree, over to Phipps Plaza, even all the way down to the James Avery store! Check with the hotel to see if they offer this service, but also remember that FLL has a great water taxi system up and down the intercoastal. You can get to Las Olas and plenty of other great spots that way as well!

TinaLee

You could spend more than $45/day on taxis, but that depends on lots of things. There is a water taxi that is $5 all day, but you would need to walk a few blocks to catch it. You can find parking a couple of blocks from the Marriott which is much more reasonable. We preferred to rent a car as we had teens with us and the restaurants at the Marriott were pretty pricey. If you plan to do alot of things off the Marriott property, rent a car; if not, then just take a cab, but definitely take the water taxi whichever way you go.

...We're staying Thursday and Friday nights at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort...Will we spend more than $45 per day on taxis? (From airport, out for meals, sightseeing, etc.) Seems unlikely. Anyone know of any cheap parking near the Marriott?

Good question. Normally my default answer for you would have been YES get a car because of the amount of time you'll be in town.

Like you, when analyzing the most cost effective method of ground transportation I like to look at our needs carefully.

If I was on your schedule in Fort Lauderdale and was getting in town, say, mid day on Thursday, giving me most of the day Thursday and all day Friday before going to the port Saturday morning my minimum needs might be:

1. Thursday- Transport from airport to hotel
  2. Thursday- Transport out to dinner
  3. Thursday-Transport from dinner to hotel
  4. Friday-Transport to the beach
  5. Friday- Transport from beach to hotel
  6. Friday-Transport from hotel to Las Olas Blvd for shopping and dinner
  7. Friday-Transport from Las Olas back to hotel
  8. Saturday- Transport to Port Everglades

Each of those trips could cost me $10 with tip each easy without going too far x8= $80 per day which would have me picking up the phone to Budget Car Rental. I'd grab a shuttle at the airport and be taken to the Budget Mega-rental-plex. When I was ready to go to the port on Saturday I'd drop the car

at their 17th St Causeway office right after I stopped by Publix grocery store for last minute items I need. They'd shuttle me to the port and I'd be done with it.

I vote car.

Chris, I am somewhat math challenged, LOL, but I'm not getting your equation. That is $80 total, not $80/day. I'd remove trips 1 and 8 because I'd use the free hotel shuttle to and from those locations (I only stay at places with free shuttles). That leaves $60. I personally prefer the freedom of a car, but still --- not $80/day, eh?

Joy

Ok so math is not one of my strong points. Still, those trips are minimums that we'd need.

In reality WE would drive more. Substitute a night in South Beach for Las Olas Blvd (we're doing just that next month) and our taxi tab could double.

Someone else might not drive as much and surely if coming in just the night before our cruise, late, a taxi would be the most appropriate

Archived