Bermuda Transportation Question

Farhibide

Hi everyone. We'll be in port (Royal Dockyard) in Bermuda on Explorer of the Seas on April 27, docked from 9:00 to 4:00.

We would like to see the Crystal and Fantasy Caves, as well as visit Horseshoe Bay and/or Jobson's Cove for a few hours. I've looked at the bus and ferry schedules :confused:, as well as researched some taxi fares, but without knowing the approximate distances, or the tour start times for the Caves, I can't tell if we'll have time to do both.

Is anyone familiar with the bus routes who could tell me what routes/stops to take from Hamilton to the Caves, from the Caves back to Hamilton and/or the two beaches we would like to visit and the approximate travel times between each location?

We rented scooters, very popular idea there were big lines but it didn't take too long. Once you are out of the city riding the scooters was amazing. The island is only 22 miles long, very easy to get around not too much traffic. We had so much fun we did it again on day 2. We saw everything, stopped when we wanted the island is very safe.

There are buses right at all the docks which will take you to the beaches(top of the road anyway) You might have a 70yd walk. Also the ferry goes from the ship to Hamilton & viceversa. you can get a pass that will do on both means of transport.You can get them on the ship or at the tourist desk on shore .or just pay by US $.If you get tight for time there is a line of Taxis at the popular beaches just off the edge of the sand Transport & language willl be the least of your problems.

It looks like you are in Bermuda on a Sunday. Do scroll down to the Bermuda boards for info but pay particular attention to Sunday information. The bus schedules can be a lot lighter and not as reliable on Sundays. The stores in town will be closed on Sundays although the Dockyards will be open. If you are going any great distance make sure of your transportation, there and back, beforehand.

Thanks for your help everyone. I will take a look at the Bermuda boards.

I have looked at the bus schedules here http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=252&PageID=0&cached=true&mode=2&userID=2 but they seem rely on some place names which aren't on any of the maps I have so far been able to find and they don't tell the times that the bus will stop at specific locations, only at the start and end points of the route. All of the route maps appear to assume that the person using the transportation will have some familiarity with the locale and the distance/time between locations.

I guess what I really need is a good map of Bermuda, one that shows all of the town and road names, so I know where the buses stop. :rolleyes:

I'll take a crack at this. But I don't think you have enough time because the ferries don't start until 9:30 and bus service is limited on Sunday.

Take the ferry into Hamilton. On Sundays it leaves the dockyard at 9:30, 10:30, 11:30 etc.. It takes approximately 20 minutes to Hamilton.

If you want to go to the Caves first, Buses #1 and #3 are recommended.

#1 Hamilton to Grotto Bay (caves) 11:00, 12:00 1:00 etc.

#1 Hamilton to St. George same times

There are evidently 2 bus #1s. One only goes as far as Grotto Bay (Caves) and the other continues to St. George.This will take appr. 45 min

OR

#3 Hamilton to Grotto Bay 11:30 1:30 2:30 etc

#3 Hamilton to St. George same

Same deal with the buses except this will take you about 60 minutes

With limited times you can see that it will be difficult to fit the Caves and Horseshoe Bay in because of the travel time. Especially since the ferries and buses don't start until later in the day on Sunday.

How about a suggestion of hiring a taxi? Friends of our did this and had a great time. You could hire a taxi for a few hours, have them take you to Horseshoe Bay first. I don't know how much time you would want to spend here and whether the driver cares how long you stay. After this you could have the driver take you to the Caves.

It is very difficult to do very much in 1 day let alone a sunday. I feel your pain, but that is why we are doing a cruise that stays there for 3 days this time!!!

I think you can also take the #10 and 11 bus from Hamilton to the caves as well.

Tours start at the Caves every 15 minutes. I thought I read that it takes about 1-2 hours.

I know the ship's excursion (do they offer) to the Caves is more expensive (on your own $20 for both caves), but perhaps if they provide the transportation it will get you to the Caves faster. This might be a time when the extra money is worth it.

Do make sure that you get a beach. They are incredible. Maybe those who have done beaches and the caves can compare them and tell you which is a better choice.

Good luck!!

We are going on the same cruise as you are that sails April 25. This is our second time to Bermuda on RC. The first time we went we took the bus to Warwick Beach. The trip was well worth it as it was a beautiful place. The problem you will have with the 2 destinations is time. We are thinking of a Taxi to the beach this time. The bus was good but it's not as fast because it stops so often. The ship will definitely not wait for you. Good luck, I hope the weather is great.

You might be pushing your luck as far as enjoying both Horseshoe Beach and the Caves in one day, and then getting back to the ship on time - the key word being enjoying. Horseshoe Beach is on the south shore of the Island - I'd say about 25 mins SW from Hamilton. Both times we went, we were at the beach maybe 90 mins (barely enough), took a quick shower, and the round trip took us well over 3 hours. The Caves are way toward the eastern end of the Island closer to St Georges. The grottoes were interesting, but I recall the wait, and the actual tour was very time-consuming "bang for the buck" wise. Suggestion: First, check exactly when you have to be back on the ship to be safe. If you really want to see the Caves, ferry from DY to St Georges (~45 mins), bus to the Caves (real short), then judge the time you have left and go to one of the east end beaches: they are not Horseshoe, but St Catherine's,Tobacco Bay, or Battery Beaches are also beautiful, can be much less crowded, and are just minutes from St Georges. For an interactive map of the Island try: http://www.bermuda.com/maps/

Good luck!

Archived