So how formal is formal??

curlymama

So it sounds like my DH won't get shot at for not wearing a tie? As long as he wears nice dress slacks, button up shirt and suit coat, he'll be accepted? He absolutely hates ties and would just rather eat at the lido deck. I love the lido food but I looked at the dinner menu's on here and I don't see any night that we could skip out on the dinner that is being served in the restaurants :p . It all looks soooo gooood.

He will be fine. We have some in our party that wear a jacket without a tie. Also sometimes dh wears his collarless shirts which are made to wear with suits that require no tie.

Enjoy!

Glad to hear that the men still DO wear tuxes as I rented one for my husband for formal nights ... for ME to enjoy!!!

Well Colorado, that will make at least 2 tuxes on our sailing because my DH is packing his as well. :)

Well Colorado, that will make at least 2 tuxes on our sailing because my DH is packing his as well. :)

COOL!!!!

My DH and I have never seen one another formally dressed, so this will be exciting for both of us. He has not seen my gowns nor will he until I put them on!!!! :D :p ;)

COOL!!!!

My DH and I have never seen one another formally dressed, so this will be exciting for both of us. He has not seen my gowns nor will he until I put them on!!!! :D :p ;)

I can't wait. I need to get out of this freakin snow for goodness sake!! :D

Family2.jpg

You have a beautiful family :)

TriadSteeler, your wife looks VERY familiar but I can't quite place the face. Lovely lady and children you have there. :)

If anyone who doesn't understand formal nights has read what was posted above from the Carnival Web site, then that is the guideline you should follow. Children are expected to dress the same. Take the opportunity to be a role model for the children and teach them how to dress properly for the occasion.

I totally agree with WeBeCruisin's post! Good one!

TriadSteeler, your wife looks VERY familiar but I can't quite place the face. Lovely lady and children you have there.

She gets that quite often. More often than not it is because of the resemblance between my wife and the former host of trading spaces, Paige Davis.

davis.jpg

On to the ongoing formal wear debate.......

Even though we opt for the formal route for the formal nights, I think that is totally a matter of choice. It personally doesn't bother me what other people wear.

I can totally understand why someone with children younger than 10 or 11 wouldn't want their kids in formal wear. When they were younger, kids had a lovely habit of using their shirts and pantlegs as napkins to wipe their hands on.

If women can wear tank tops then so can men or its discrimination. I'd file a lawsuit if you see a woman wearing a tank top and they don't let you wear one. I actually shave the hair off my shoulders so I think I should be able to wear a tank top if I want to.

YOU need to realize that a tank top on a woman is a whole different animal then a tank top on a man, shaved shoulders or not. Go ahead file that law suit, But I wonder, under which court and which laws....................... Get a grip. Oh, and please let us all know how that lawsuit works out for you........

YOU need to realize that a tank top on a woman is a whole different animal then a tank top on a man, shaved shoulders or not. Go ahead file that law suit, But I wonder, under which court and which laws....................... Get a grip. Oh, and please let us all know how that lawsuit works out for you........

FTLOG

Your avatar is very distracting.

FWIW, I can't believe that the tank issue is a serious one...and if it is, the poster doesn't warrant a response, donchathink?? ;)

Why thank you' date=' Deb. And I must say you were ravishingly lovely on formal nights on The Liberty on S and S 3.:) And Mike was ravishingly-lovely, too. :D[/quote']

Flattery will get you everywhere, my dear Allen! As for your impression of Mike, maybe next time you two shouldn't indulge in martinis and huge dishes of anchovies at the same time! LMAO!!! :D

Flattery will get you everywhere, my dear Allen! As for your impression of Mike, maybe next time you two shouldn't indulge in martinis and huge dishes of anchovies at the same time! LMAO!!! :D

You philistine! In Revelations 3:46, it says "and thou shouldest at all times seek to consume thy Holy martinis whilst consuming ye anchovies". :)

I remember worrying about what to wear on formal night prior to my first cruise. The best way to calm your worries is to look at pictures that cruisecritic members have taken during formal nights. A picture is worth a thousand words.

You will see that anything goes. Specifically look at pictures taken in the dining room of tables of people. You might see a tux and a dress shirt and a "nice" shirt all at the same table.

It's just a time to "dress up" Wear what you would wear if you were invited to a nice resturant. No need to purchase anything new. Also, don't feel bad bringing one nice thing and wearing it twice.

Your only job is to relax and not worry about the small things.

Trust me.

You will see that anything goes. It's just a time to "dress up" Wear what you would wear if you were invited to a nice resturant. Trust me.

Trust him not.:D

The minimum to adhere to the dress code is a sports jacket or blazer with dress pants and, preferably, a tie.

Anyone who tells you anything else is either (1) seeing only what they want to see; (2) terribly unobservant; or (3) "twisting" the truth to convert you to their self-serving agenda.:)

Approximately 90-95 % of men adhere to the dress code on formal nights. Anything less than that makes you look like a hick. Not all of those men may want to, but they do do anyway because they are either mature enough to know the social expectations in situations where those expectations are clearly spelled out, or they are doing so because they respect their wives' wishes. :D

Archived