Scuba gear - Rent or buy?

heydn62

I'm trying to decide if I should buy diving gear and carry it with me, or just rent. It looks like if you are going to have to rent a few times, it really makes sense to go ahead and buy, but then there's the hassle of carrying your gear with you when you travel. I plan to at least buy mask/fins/snorkel.

Also, I do have a limited budget and like to shop around before I buy. Can anyone comment on the gear pictured below. It's Tusa, and looks good to me, but being a novice, I'm afraid of buying "too" cheap. This is offered on ebay at around $400.

PCKDGW.JPG

Several issues to discuss here. The first is what gear to buy, and what to rent. You can read many of the reasons elsewhere on the forum, but the consensus on wetsuits is buy, don't rent. Same with masks. We see quite a few people renting fins. We prefer our own for comfort. As for the gear pictured, I don't see a dive computer. There are some nice console models with simple features that are not too expensive. I also wouldn't buy any of that gear used, or even new online without visiting a store and seeing the same brand and model of each item in person. Having said all of that, you should weigh the frequency of your diving with the costs, not only of owning, but of maintaining your own gear. If you plan to dive alot, then owning is the best way to go, but visit a local shop and get recommendations before buying sight unseen. http://www.cruisedivers.blogspot.com

I have included a copy of a post I wrote last year on this subject. Bear in mind this is my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

The War Department (a.k.a. Mrs. B) and I have dived all over the Caribbean as well as several locations in Florida. We always brought our own gear (except tanks and weights). This did enable us to see a wide variety of the rental equipment provided by the various dive operations. Most of the rental equipment we've seen is reasonbly good, upper middle of the road equipment. There have been one or two exceptions though.

Regardless of the newness (or not) of the rental equipment I think that you're much better off and probably safer with your own dive gear. I know instinctively where all the 'controls' (dump valves, harness adjustments, ditchable weights, etc.) are on my BCD. With a rental BCD it's going to be a learning experience to some degree. Furthermore I keep a lot of gear in or clipped to my BCD (dive knife, flashlight, safety sausage, emergency whistle) or in the front pockets. I know where each piece of this equipment is and that it's always with me.

Next is the service issue - how recently and how often has that rental regulator been serviced? With your own equipment you know those answers. We were diving in Aruba a little over a month ago and with a good dive operator. However one set of rental equipment had a secondary regulator which free flowed so badly that the diver had only ten to fifteen minutes of dive time. We were too far from the dock timewise to go back and get another set of regulators. They did give him a refund but that morning's dives were wiped out. When arriving by cruise ship often the only dives you get are those two tank morning dives.

Last but not least is the fit issue. Your own equipment fits you and probably fits better than rental equipment will. My mask fits my face and doesn't leak. My fins fit my feet with dive booties on. My wetsuit and BCD fit my body. Will rental equipment fit as well? Possibly but probably not.

So for all these reasons bring your own gear. Yes, it's somewhat of a pain in the fanny to lug that dive gear to wherever you rendezvous with the dive operator but this inconvenience is far outweighed by the benefits.

Hope this advice is helpful. Now go enjoy those dives while cruising.

We too don't have an unlimited budget consequently I have shopped carefully over the years to procure our dive gear. We bought our wetsuits and our masks from a bricks and mortar dive shop near us. everything else I bought via eBay or Craigslist. This includes three BCD's, both sets of regulators, two main dive computers, two back up wrist mount dive computers, fins, safety sausages, dive knives, dive lights, snorkels, dive compasses as well as soft weights.

I do get our regulators and BCD's serviced at the dive shop every year. All four of our dive computers are checked in the pressure chamber at the same time. You will see a lot of debate about the wisdom and safety of buying dive gear anywhere but at a dive shop. I feel that if you do your homework and get the appropriate gear serviced regularly then there's little or no additional risk. I firmly believe that one is better off buying good used near top of the line equipment rather than bargain basement new items.

If you're interested about buying things from eBay drop me a line via email and I'll help. My email is pilot70d at yahoo. In the meantime have a great day.

If you looking for gear here is a set that would cover what your looking for. http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ValuePackage Now I wouldn't use that particular gear for ice diving in Minnesota but if your just starting out and are diving a couple times a month you really can't go wrong for the price and the dealer is top notch. They also give you the abilitie to upgrade to a Nitrox computer if you wish. When it comes to rental gear I have heard both good and bad stories about rental gear. Just remember there are two types of people, those that pee in their wetsuit and those that lie about it!

If you looking for gear here is a set that would cover what your looking for. http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ValuePackage Now I wouldn't use that particular gear for ice diving in Minnesota but if your just starting out and are diving a couple times a month you really can't go wrong for the price and the dealer is top notch. They also give you the abilitie to upgrade to a Nitrox computer if you wish. When it comes to rental gear I have heard both good and bad stories about rental gear. Just remember there are two types of people, those that pee in their wetsuit and those that lie about it!

Totally agree with buying from scubatoys. They give EXCELLENT customer service and stand behind what the sell. They will also offer service for the gear after the sale. Your regulator will need annual servicing.

I wouldn't buy life support gear from ebay, especially not my first set of gear when I'm an inexperienced noobie.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy diving gear and carry it with me, or just rent. It looks like if you are going to have to rent a few times, it really makes sense to go ahead and buy, but then there's the hassle of carrying your gear with you when you travel. I plan to at least buy mask/fins/snorkel.
Don't buy the snorkel unless you actually plan on snorkeling. Just about all the people I dive with do not bother with a snorkel. Personally, I hate having that thing dangling off the side of my mask. If you do any drift diving (Cozumel), then it creates a drag on your mask, yuck. Along with the mask, get booties and fins. If you even shore dive (Grand Cayman) you'll be glad you have booties.

I think the FIRST thing you need to buy is a proper fitting wet suit.

Second thing to buy is a wrist mount computer, then learn how to operate it.

Third would be a regulator.

Before you buy a BC, you might want to investigate getting a Backplate/Wing set. Many of my dive buddies have given up using a BC in favor of the Backplate/wing set up.

OK.. here's where the newbie-ness really shines:

Is a wet suit really needed? What does it do besides keep you warm?

Why use a wrist computer instead of one on your pressure gauge console?

Don't buy the snorkel unless you actually plan on snorkeling. Just about all the people I dive with do not bother with a snorkel. Personally, I hate having that thing dangling off the side of my mask. If you do any drift diving (Cozumel), then it creates a drag on your mask, yuck. Along with the mask, get booties and fins. If you even shore dive (Grand Cayman) you'll be glad you have booties.

Third would be a regulator.

Before you buy a BC, you might want to investigate getting a Backplate/Wing set. Many of my dive buddies have given up using a BC in favor of the Backplate/wing set up.

Sorry Bruce, I disagree about the snorkel. I've had a case or two where the person I was diving with ran out of air and it was a lot easier to snorkel back than to swim on the surface with my gear. In addition, I've surfaced on a boat where the waves had kicked up while under and the snorkel really keeps the water out without having to worry about how much air is in your tank. With that said, I carry a stowable snorkel. It folds into thirds and I keep it in my BCD pocket while diving. It has a quick connect clip that attaches to my mask so usually I have just a 3/8" square of plastic on my mask (doesn't have drag or pull on my mask) and with a quick unzip of the pocket and a backward push with my hand I can have my snorkel ready (of course I practice hooking it on several times a year just to keep in practice).

As far as my top picks (assuming mask, fins, snorkel):

1) regulator - the one piece of equipment between the air on your back and the mouthpiece. Besides being yucky renting one, I make sure mine is serviced regularly and in good condition

2) emergency signaling devices (if in the ocean) - these are cheap and can really pay off if you're in the ocean. These include blow up safety sausages, mirrors and whistles. If you're new you could get too far from a boat and not get back. Spending $10-15 can really make a difference in your piece of mind

3) wet suit - again, yucky to rent. Those who don't pee in their suits lie. They also loose their insultating effect over time so I make sure mines not too old and no rips or tears (heydn62 a wet suit provides insulation, a bit of bouyancy and protects you from sun, jellyfish, and bumps against sharp objects and coral (unfortuately new divers usually have bouyancy problems when they start out and just can't seem to avoid bumping into things)

4) BCD -puts air between the tanks on your back and maintaining bouyancy. Good fit keeps them from riding up your body on the surface, sliding around under the water and comfort getting in/out of the water

5) Computer - wrist computers are easier to read since you just look at your wrist instead of having to hunt for your console then flipping it around to find your computer and it's usually floating low and behind your body. Think of why we carry wrist watches instead of pocket watches. It's just easier to glance at your wrist.

6) UW Shears - for cutting entanglements away (like fishing line) especially if you dive in lakes or around wrecks where people fish

7) UW Flash light - for exploring

8) Camera - for pictures

Just watch out. As my dive instructor calls them, being a christmas tree :D . This is where a diver has so many things hanging on them that they look like a christmas tree. Besides overloading your system, too many things cause drag and imbalance your bouyancy.

Randall

OK.. here's where the newbie-ness really shines:

Is a wet suit really needed?

It is for me. I get cold easily. Even in 85 f water I would still wear a full wet suit. I have never been too warm on a dive, but I have definitely been too cold. Thermal Protection is a YMMV thing.
What does it do besides keep you warm?
Protects you from sunburn and sharp stuff.

Why use a wrist computer instead of one on your pressure gauge console?
A wrist mount is easier to use if you rent the rest of the gear and it is easier to transport separate from the rest of the gear in case you want to take it out and review the log it keeps or pack it in your carry on bag.

Sorry Bruce, I disagree about the snorkel. I've had a case or two where the person I was diving with ran out of air and it was a lot easier to snorkel back than to swim on the surface with my gear.
Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I still hate snorkels/snorkeling. On the surface I either float on my back and kick or keep my reg in my mouth. IMO, there's no excuse for running out of air on a normal dive.

2) emergency signaling devices (if in the ocean) - these are cheap and can really pay off if you're in the ocean. These include blow up safety sausages, mirrors and whistles. If you're new you could get too far from a boat and not get back. Spending $10-15 can really make a difference in your piece of mind

6) UW Shears - for cutting entanglements away (like fishing line) especially if you dive in lakes or around wrecks where people fish

7) UW Flash light - for exploring

These are all excellent suggestions. All them all to the first things to buy list.

Surface signaling device: whistle or a Dive Alert when you own a BC and a "safety sausage".

Shears are a better choice than a knife, especially for on a cruise where the ship's security will likely "secure" your knife.

UW light. I highly recommend the Ikelite PCa as light to take with you on EVERY dive. Even if you are diving in the Caribbean on a sunny day with good vis, there will be times when you want a light to see the actual color of something UW or go thru a swim thru.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I still hate snorkels/snorkeling. On the surface I either float on my back and kick or keep my reg in my mouth. IMO, there's no excuse for running out of air on a normal dive.

Agreed :p As far as running out of air, I agree as well. Was diving this summer in a lake with a dive buddy I'd just been teamed up with (a newbie). I told him to let me know when he got to 1500 lbs and we'd turn back. When he signaled I looked at his gauge and he was at 500 lbs (I was at 1500). We had to surface swim back and I, in no uncertain words, explained the importance of keeping track of his air, and everything else (glad I had the snorkel, there was a lot of surface weeds and swimming on my back would have entangled my tank pretty quickly).

r

Also, I do have a limited budget and like to shop around before I buy. Can anyone comment on the gear pictured below. It's Tusa, and looks good to me, but being a novice, I'm afraid of buying "too" cheap. This is offered on ebay at around $400.

Hey heydn62,

I used to dive once a year (4 to 6 dives on a cruise). I was fairly novice, ran out of air before most people and had to hold the descent line to do a safety stop. I rented equipment.

Now I dive twice a year (12 to 14 dives, twice a year). I've quadrupled by diving. I descend without using the line, it bugs me when I have to get a feel for the new rental equipment at every port. I spend more time working on my bouyancy then I really should be. Additionally, with my own equipment I'll probably start diving locally and get a lot more diving in.

I thought about buying equipment online but I wonder what the person selling the equipment did with it. Was it well maintained? Additionally, I spent a lot of time talking to local dive shops. One has been extremely helpful. I think I owe it to them to buy some equipment (and their pricing is almost as good as the discount online stores).

You want to buy at least the fins and mask. Like Bruce, I question the usefulness of a snorkel. I have one but most the time it just bugs me. Still I bring it with me on ever dive. I might leave it on the boat but if the water is choppy I'll bring it.

Would you use someone else's shoes? I like my own shoes. The fins you get from rental are not great. You'll enjoy things more with your own fins. The mask is REALLY something you need your own. Nothing ruins a dive like a leaky mask.

I'd rent a BCD until you start getting good at bouyancy. You'll appreciate a good versus bad BCD more if you can feel the difference. Until you've been diving for a while and have good bouyancy you might not be able to tell the difference.

How clean is the regulator you are using? Are you doing an afternoon dive? Did the person on the morning run have herpes? or just halitosis? Does the diver operator consider a dunk in a bacteria infested fresh water tank 'cleaning' the regulator?

I think Bruce's suggestion of a wrist mount computer is good. I'm willing to pay a little extra; I'm getting an integrated computer but it has a quick release so I can detach it from the hose.

It is hard to tell from the picture what all the equipment is. Two models can look similar. TUSA is a good brand. For an entry level piece of equipment you cannot go too wrong. Things to think about would be the lift of the BCD, is the reg nitrox ready, are the gauges in metric or imperial and are you going to be cold water diving (all regs with work in the Caribbean but only some will work in the colder climates).

Why is the person selling the equipment? It might be because they went to a dive shop that convinced them to buy all the equipment as a training package. That is, some places will convince you to buy all the dive equipment 'at a discount' when you book your dive training. A lot of people find out on the first pool day, or sometimes open water, that they cannot handle scuba diving. The store never takes back the equipment so they sell it on ebay. It might be there is something wrong with the equipment (i.e. they are in cold water and it is not an environmentally sealed reg).

It really is worth going to a few dive shops and finding one that will take the time to explain things to you.

Also, another things the wet suit will protect you against is jellyfish and other stinging creatures.

Finally, if you think you need something for cutting get medical shears. Bruce is right that the dive knife is a real hassle on a cruise. We had one guy on the last cruise who was always rushing to get his knife and catch up with us because ship security made him surrender his knife every time he boarded the ship.

I'd also say the wetsuit is a personal pref. thing- I bought a 3mm suit when I started diving so I'd have one for warm water diving- haven't used the thing except one time in florida on a snorkel with manatees- in 72 degree water!

Now, if you get cold quick, I'd say grab one, but after getting regs/computer or gauges/ and BC. Good luck to you! And you can't go wrong with ScubaToys!

What would you definitely not buy on-line (i.e., without the ability to try on / test out before purchase) and what items are safe to purchase from someone such as scubatoys?

Are masks a safe bet, or should I really spend the extra bucks at a dive shop to make sure?

Is there ever a problem with a wetsuit being too long or too short, or are the standard sizes likely to fit most people?

What would you definitely not buy on-line (i.e., without the ability to try on / test out before purchase) and what items are safe to purchase from someone such as scubatoys?

Are masks a safe bet, or should I really spend the extra bucks at a dive shop to make sure?

Is there ever a problem with a wetsuit being too long or too short, or are the standard sizes likely to fit most people?

I would NOT buy a mask online because I couldn't try it on first.

I did buy my last wetsuit online at http://www.scubatoys.com. Even using the size chart, I picked the wrong size suit. Scubatoys made it really easy to return it for the correct size, so I'd buy a suit online again as long as I had enough time to exchange it if I needed.

Your mask needs to fit properly. I would not buy a mask online.

You might not want to buy a BCD online. I like to try these on and see how they fit, are they expandable (if you are diving cold water and warm water you'll have different thickness wetsuits or possibly a drysuit). Where are the D-rings, pockets, etc. If it has integrated weights, how easy is it to ditch your weight? Can you reach the purge values?

I also bought my wetsuit locally. How hard is it to get on and off? How well does it fit? If the arms or legs are a little long that is not as much an issue as if the neck opening is big. If the neck does not close well for your body type then you are going to be scooping up water as you swim. Every manufacturer cuts their wetsuits differently. There is no standard to wetsuit sizes. I have noticed, if it is made in Asia I need a 2XL but if it was made in the US I can wear an XL. :)

PCKDGW.JPG

How much should you buy? As much as you can, of course I suscribe to the theory of he who dies with the most toys wins theory of life. The items that are based on fit or Life support is my suggestion Mask Regulator BCD Fins are first priority. A wet suit is a comfort item and on a cruise I don't bring on 1-2 dives I don't get cold a dive resort or liveaboard where I'm doing multipule dives over several days then a wet suit

Got called away to a meeting and couldn't finish my thought, so I'm back. While there is a lot of equipment available on the internet, you are purchasing life support equipment. It's most always decent quality, some good, some better. I don't advocate buying Regulators/BCD's over the web. Fit and operation are important, and serviceibility is a big concern. If you buy a TUSA system does your local Dive shop support that brand? Do the regulators(primary and emergency 2nd) work off the same intermediate pressure. What is the flow rate of the first stage regulator, can it support 2 divers at depth? Can they service it locally and quickly? Does that equipment require annual servicing for the warranty to remain in effect? Are you comfortable sending your gear away every year for service? Will they turn it around in time for your vacation? Are they familiar with that brand to provide expert repair? I worked in a Dive shop for 13 years and they are more expensive than buying over the web, but you have the peace of mind in knowing your equipment is expertly cared for. I think it's even more important for the diver who goes away for one or 2 dives a year, the diver who is familiar with thier equipment, but isn't in the water enough to know thier equipment inside and out. Once again my 2 cents worth so stop into your local shop and talk to them, they may very well have a system that will fit your budget or be able to set up a finance option to meet your needs.

I hate getting a question answered with 10 questions but these are some of the things you need to ponder before you buy online.

Whateveer you get try it in the pool before you go and have a great dive!

I kinda skimmed the previous responses, so if this was mentioned already I apologize. My wife I were diving in Roatan and had our own gear. Everyone else was using rental gear, including analog metric gauges. Little bit of anxiety because most of them had no idea how deep we were or how much air they had.

Get your own gear and dive your butt off!

Dale

PADI OWSI

I kinda skimmed the previous responses, so if this was mentioned already I apologize. My wife I were diving in Roatan and had our own gear. Everyone else was using rental gear, including analog metric gauges. Little bit of anxiety because most of them had no idea how deep we were or how much air they had.

Get your own gear and dive your butt off!

Dale

PADI OWSI

Hi,

Think metric is bad, I was diving in Europe where they measure air in bars of atmosphere. Try figuring out 1500lbs/500lbs of air in bars. :)

Also if you buy any equipment that requires annual maintenance, make sure it's a brand that your local dive shop services (they're not licensed on all equipment brands) and have them service it right away upon purchase. The local dive shop owner related how new regulators get metal shavings in the first stage as part of production and he always cleans them out upon purchase. He was relating how someone bought a regulator on line and brought it in a year later for service. But when he opened up the first stage no one had cleaned out the shavings and they had worn away some of the mechanisms so badly that the person ended up having to buy a new first stage.

Also you need to check if a shop will service an item if bought on the internet. Some shops are starting to get frustrated by people "undercutting" their pricing through on-line shopping and may refuse to work on your stuff. The vendors aren't supporting complaints by consumers on this practice and they don't force dive shops to service equipment not purchased by them. I know, don't flame, I'm just reporting what I know. 'course there's always on-line service shops but you'll have to pay additional shipping and probably be without your things for a week or so. :)

Randall

I had rented/borrowed gear for years, and although the gear was adequate, I never reached that mental confidence zone with it. Then, a few years ago my wife gave me a $250 gift certificate to our LDS for Christmas so I could get a few things before an upcoming cruise. Of course, I ended up buying an entire setup:p and it was the best move I have ever made when it comes to diving. I am now extremely comfortable & confident....not overly though, that's what gets you in trouble, and diving has taken on a whole new dimension for me. The shop actually made this possible because when I went in, I didn't want to spend a lot of money....Christmas, upcoming cruise et al,and didn't want to pay interest by charging on my CC & didn't have the cash at the time. The shop let me take the gear & we set up payments over 6 months. This enabled me to get the gear I wanted, when I wanted it without killing the budget. You might check with your shop & see if you can arrange something.

Mike

http://gallery.mac.com/csealove#gallery

Hi,

Also you need to check if a shop will service an item if bought on the internet. Some shops are starting to get frustrated by people "undercutting" their pricing through on-line shopping and may refuse to work on your stuff. The vendors aren't supporting complaints by consumers on this practice and they don't force dive shops to service equipment not purchased by them. I know, don't flame, I'm just reporting what I know. 'course there's always on-line service shops but you'll have to pay additional shipping and probably be without your things for a week or so. :)

Randall

Randall makes a good point here. I'd like to add a related story...

<start rant>

I used to work in retail computer sales. I am a programmer and extremely knowledgeable about computers. My salary was not minimum wage. If retail sales only paid minimum wage I would have gone into computer programming or Value Added Retail (VAR) sales (a VAR sales person deals with corporate sales where the computer will buy all the equipment and pay extra to have it custom programmed for their staff).

People would come into the store and ask me to quote them a system. I'd find out what they want to do, where they might be heading and put together a package that was the best price short term and long term. I'd often talk people out of systems someone else convinced them they needed and explained why they could save $1000 or more. Some people appreciated this help and were willing to pay the little extra we charged for a computer system. Others would take the quote to the local big box store and get the same computer system for 3% about our cost. The store I worked at had joined with 4 other stores to bulk order equipment. This way we could get the 10+ cost pricing and remain competitive with the big box stores, i.e. our cost was around the same as their cost. Smaller mom & pop stores had cost prices ABOVE what the big box stores were selling for.

At first it was just the occasional person who would get me to help them set up a computer system and then buy it from the big box store. Soon we found more and more people were doing this. To add insult to injury, the people would bring the computer they bought at the big box store to us for service. Unfortunately, 99% of the time the program with the computer was it was not set up correctly, the wrong software was installed or the user had done something to mess it up. These issues were not under warranty. We'd tell the person we could help them but that our service fee was $65/hour. Often it would take 2 or more hours to fix what they messed up. They usually saved $100. Over the course of a year they would often need our help 2 or 3 times. In the long run it would cost them more.

Many people complained that we were just being mean. When I explained to them that support and service is something that is included in the price of our computer systems and this is why they cost a little more they'd still complain. I pointed out that we need to stay in business. They gave all there money to the big box store. We have none of their money. We cannot stay in business if they give their money to the big box store and expect us to help them for free.

Some people would buy the cheapest piece of software and then ask us to fix their computer system. I'd let them know that buying the software means we will FULLY support the software they purchased from us. We will not support the computer system. This would be like buying tires from Pirelli and then asking them if they could repair your brakes for free.

In the end the retail store and all those like it went out of business. I meet people who are amazed I can put together a computer system for $100 more than they spend but it will be functional for 10 years with minimal upgrades. They system tends to be obsolete in 3 years (sometimes 2) and the cost of the upgrade (if possible) is more than just buying another $1500 computer system.

Bottom line, if you have ever received any help from a local dive shop and want that to continue, support them. Think long term. If all you do for them is get your tanks filled, they will not be able to stay in business. I used to have a dive shop that was 4 blocks from my home. Everyone in my neighbourhood buys online but used to go to the shop for help and advice. The shop went out of business. Now I have to go 110 kilometers to get help from a 'local' dive shop. I can only go there on Saturdays. They are closed during the week by the time I get there.

<end rant>

Archived