Table Mates

~~OMG!! Your screen name *is not* UnderWaterBalcony Snob!!!~~:D :p :cool: (I feel so responsible);)

I have always had good tablemates. Some I have liked more than others. But it is always one of the things I look forward to, meeting my table mates. Maybe I have just been lucky.

You know Parrotthead I just glanced at my screen, saw UnderwaterBalconySnob and thought it was your review from your trip! LOL! Next time I'll look more carefully! ;)

I can't wait to me our table mates. DW and I thought about a smaller table, but remembered the good times we had previously. It is our 15th anniversary and we would love to share a bottle with the table.:D

Gecko7

We've had 1 good, and 1 bad experience with tablemates... but not always request our own table. We're just more comfortable that way, and feel like we can talk a lot more about our day without having to bore other people, especially since my mom is quite the talker. haha

Our first cruise, I was 13 and the family we sat with had a daughter and her friend who were 14. It worked out great, as I am sometimes shy at first, so it was a great way to make some friends.

Our second cruise.....aaaahhh! I was 20, brother was 21. We sat with 2 other families. A single woman and her 2 kids (16 yr old son, 9 yr old daughter), who were very nice and friendly, and had good conversation. The other family had 2 older children, probably mid-late 20s... and they were awful. They didnt speak, or even change facial expression... not even to eachother. They just glared the whole time, which made it very uncomfortable.

The few times we were seated with others, we had good experiences. DH prefers to dine with family members or friends so lately we have been requesting tables with those we know only.

Once though, we were seated with a 'cad' at a wine tasting. He was really obnoxious, asking rude questions, and was the typical loud, annoying know-it-all. It just reinforced DH's idea of not sitting with strangers... imagine having this man ahd his wife as table mates every night? No way will we have our vacation ruined!!

Hi everyone! I have been reading your posts for months, and finally decided you were all a fairly harmless group, so I thought I would join in.

My past cruise, I was very fortunate and had wonderful table mates. How many of you have had terrible table mates? How receptive is the crew about changing your table?

Thank you, everyone, for your responses.

We've never had BAD table mates. We have had some weird table mates, and some that thought their table mates were weird............................:D

Dan

Hi everyone! I have been reading your posts for months, and finally decided you were all a fairly harmless group, so I thought I would join in.

My past cruise, I was very fortunate and had wonderful table mates. How many of you have had terrible table mates? How receptive is the crew about changing your table?

For me it wasn't so much the dinner table as it was the lunch table. One day and elderly woman sat next to us with her husband. One of the first things out of her mouth was "What do you do that allows you to afford cruising?"

No kidding!! That's what she said. *LOL* I save my money for vacation, that's what I do! *L*

When I told her my occupation she turned to my husband and said "What do you do?"

Then I had to listen to her long list of highfalutin' complaints. On and on she went about how when she pays for beautiful she expects beautiful. Yaddah yaddah yaddah.

I'll bet she shops at Wally World just like the rest of us. *L* :)

My wife and I will be going on our first cruise with our 13 and 15 year old sons. Both are very mature and respectful, but, they don't want to eat with us every night in the main ball room. They would rather hang with kids their age and scrounge from all of the other food options. We have told them they must join us for the first formal night so we can do family pictures. They have no problem with this.

My question is...since they will only be joining us for one night, what should we do about the extra two seats at our table. Leave them open incase the boys change their mind on a certain night, or inform the steward they are no longer required in case someone asks to be moved from another table?

~~OMG!! Your screen name *is not* UnderWaterBalcony Snob!!!~~:D :p :cool: (I feel so responsible);)

I have always had good tablemates. Some I have liked more than others. But it is always one of the things I look forward to, meeting my table mates. Maybe I have just been lucky.

~~~~You're my inspiration!!!!~~~~~~~:D

Yes, it was your thread that I laughed my butt off, read it to everyone at the office, and left the office in tears!!!:D

Just so ya know.. and I will be on the Freedom April 12th. What makes me the bad tablemate? My inability to NOT laugh at other's expense, my inability to keep my mouth shut, my propensity for talking about bodily functions at dinner, my dry sarcastic comments, my food snobbery, the fact that im more than likely smarter than you, and wont be afraid to let you know. If you see me at your table.. request a change. It will be in your best interest.;)

We're going with a group and I'm praying they seat us all together. I assume since we booked together they will seat us at least around each other.

DH and I both are nervous about getting seated with the odd people. But then our bigger fear is, what if DH and I are the "weird" tablemates for someone else since we've never cruised? Yikes!:eek:

Just so ya know.. and I will be on the Freedom April 12th. What makes me the bad tablemate? My inability to NOT laugh at other's expense, my inability to keep my mouth shut, my propensity for talking about bodily functions at dinner, my dry sarcastic comments, my food snobbery, the fact that im more than likely smarter than you, and wont be afraid to let you know. If you see me at your table.. request a change. It will be in your best interest.;)

Wow...I definitely would NOT want to share a table with you!:eek: :rolleyes:

We're going with a group and I'm praying they seat us all together. I assume since we booked together they will seat us at least around each other.

DH and I both are nervous about getting seated with the odd people. But then our bigger fear is, what if DH and I are the "weird" tablemates for someone else since we've never cruised? Yikes!:eek:

LOL!! Just use table manners and you'll do fine!:D ;) Everyone has been on their FIRST cruise at some point in their "cruising career"!

Wow! That Alice! What makes people think that's anything but horrible for those around them?:confused:

My dh and I are probably horrid as table mates as well. Generally, we keep to ourselves unless others are being social. We have a tendency to ignore small flaws and just move on. However, we do enjoy finding the Canadians to talk to. I don't know why, but they seem to be amused by our accents and we think it's hilarious when they say "A-boot"...it's all in fun, of course, we would never intentionally insult anyone. (How could we, my dh says "Extry" instead of "extra" and I sound like I crawled out of the south GA swamp some days?)

LOL!! I'm going to London this summer, and i wonder how weird a Texas accent will sound to THEM!:confused: ;)

LOL, report back. :D

Once I traveled to New York, I thought I was "blending in" until a lady stopped me on the street, handed me a magazine and asked me to read it to her! She said, "I just love your southern accent!" That was the day I realized I didn't sound like everyone else.:D

Paula Dean has done for me what the Sopranos did for New Yorkers, at least some people can understand me now:p

Our recent Carnival cruise (Feb. 2008) was the only time we've sat with people who were not part of our party (family and friends.)

We loved the couple who were seated with us! They were interesting, fun, friendly, and just a joy all around to talk and dine with. In the beginning, I was very worried that they'd be running for the hills and saying how horrible WE were :eek: .

They stuck around, so I guess we're not so bad after all :) ... at least this time :D .

DH & I have had about every kind of tablemates. Some snobbish, some who couldn't or wouldn't speak English. :rolleyes: But we're also met two couples that have become dear friends. Visited one of them in Arizona, had a wonderful time. Another, we have cruised with once and are going with them again in two weeks. Good friends are hard to find in todays world. You never know who you might meet, we enjoy meeting new people. Looking forward to dinner this next trip also. :D

Luv's Crusin'

DH & I have had about every kind of tablemates. Some snobbish, some who couldn't or wouldn't speak English. :rolleyes: But we're also met two couples that have become dear friends. Visited one of them in Arizona, had a wonderful time. Another, we have cruised with once and are going with them again in two weeks. Good friends are hard to find in todays world. You never know who you might meet, we enjoy meeting new people. Looking forward to dinner this next trip also. :D

Luv's Crusin'

Ok...you have got me so curious about your user name...Show me the thread!!!!:p

I don't know if that thread exists anymore, they might have poofed it!

first time, I was noticing your siggie where you corrected the misspelling of your username. Did you run out of room, or did you accidentally misspell it when you created it? Did you know you can send an email and tell them you misspelled it, and they will correct it for you. I can't remember where or who you email, but if that is the case, they can change it for you, if you want. Please forgive me if you didn't misspell it and like it that way! If there is a limit on the number of letters or numbers you can use in your username, you could always spell it-firsttimescaredcruzer!:)

Archived