shore tours

giglebug

We always do our own thing at a fraction of the price of official tours.

Noumea - La Petit Train is $59. You can book the same trip in the cruise terminal in Noumea for $20. On this cheaper tour you will not get a glass of pretty ordinary bubbly and a pastry. Otherwise you can book a sightseeing tour in a bus for $15. They take Aussie dollars. For the following options you will need XPF (Pacific Francs). If you have four people take a taxi and ask the driver to go past the beaches and take you on a sightseeing trip. You can also visit the Tjibaou Cultural Centre - entry 500XPF ($6.75), free for under 18 or over 65. They are closed on Mondays. Taxi fare is approx 1500XPF ($20).

Vila - Take a taxi to the Cascades and go for a swim. It is beautiful. Entry is A$20pp and th cab will cost $25 per hour. Ask the cab driver to take you to the Chiefs' Meeting House, Parliament House and past a village. Have a look at the cab and agree on the price before you get in and ask if the cab has air-con. Go shopping, or at least wander along the main street and have a look at the markets.

If you have any questions there are plenty of people on this forum who can answer them for you.

Enjoy.:)

hi all,

Is it best to book ahead for any shore tours in places like noumea and vila ..

or is it easy enough to get tours when we get to shore .

Or best to book onboard ?

also any tour recomendations anyone?

Hi giglebug!

On our first cruise, early 2007, we didn't book our shore tours until we got on board. There were quite a few of the more popular ones that were completely sold out (Le Petite Train in Noumea) for example. But the Tour Desk were incredibly helpful in assisting us in selecting tours.

This time - we thought we would get ahead of the game a bit and book before we go - however we're still waitlisted for one of the tours we really wanted to go on in Savusavu (we're not sure what our chances are of getting eight cancellations to take us and those travelling with us!!!!!).

So - unless you get your documents early from P&O - you can still miss out on the popular tours it seems.

This time around, we're also doing a bit of a mixture of P&O tours and our own thing in some of the ports we've been to already that we feel more comfortable with.

Sorry - I probably haven't answered your question - other than - if there's a tour you're really interested in - book as soon as you can - otherwise you could possibly miss out!:eek::rolleyes:

PS: What ports are you visiting - if you let us know, there may be quite a few suggestions on tours at those particular ports for you.

fingers crossed for you then... I wonder why with so many of you they cant just open another one Im sure others may want to do it too that havent planned tours until they get on board!

Who knows? We're ok either way ... my husband would really like to do the tour ... but I'm equally as sure we can find ways to amuse ourselves in port - there'll be something else we can do!!!:D

Wait and see I guess!

We'll go and see the tour desk when we get on board - if it's still sold out - we'll see if there's any other tour we can all fit on (and that we want to do).

even if the tour is sold out ask.

the only tour we were interested in was the zip line adventure thing which was booked out a long time before we cruised. we never bothered checking but found out later they had added another tour that was only half full anyway, so my kids could have done it.

never hurts to ask.

As mentioned if there is something you are interested in then yes book before you leave, you can change at a later date

even if the tour is sold out ask.

the only tour we were interested in was the zip line adventure thing which was booked out a long time before we cruised. we never bothered checking but found out later they had added another tour that was only half full anyway, so my kids could have done it.

never hurts to ask.

As mentioned if there is something you are interested in then yes book before you leave, you can change at a later date

Thanks Karon --- we will definately be checking once we're on board! (You never know hubby may get so carried away that he just has to purchase a black pearl for me!!!!!):rolleyes:

Thanks Karon --- we will definately be checking once we're on board! (You never know hubby may get so carried away that he just has to purchase a black pearl for me!!!!!):rolleyes:

You can also buy black pearls in Vila at Down Town Duty Free. Husband bought me a black pearl & diamond pendant in September, and, so they wouldn't be lonely, earrings to match in December. Jewellery is a weakness of mine. I'll try not to buy any more this year.:):)

Archived