Black Watch & children

petergoesrock

Hi, we're sailing on the Black Watch in July for the first time with our son (we've sailed before as a couple) and were wondering about how things will be…

It's a 'family' cruise, but we're not overly concerned about daytime facilities for him, we'll be off in port and he's an easy going child who'll be happy with watching the world go by, talking to people or reading a book.

What is on our minds is…

• dinner, anyone know how it works with a young one? I've read elsewhere that they will produce 'small' meals in the main restaurant, but you need to pre-order them by lunchtime?

• I know I said I'm not concerned but it will be useful to know(!), but is there a minimum age for leaving children in whatever childrens club they may have?

• are there any parts of the ship that children aren't welcome or frowned upon? We particuarly like the Observatory.

• any other hints or tips?

thanks,

Peter :0)

Hi Peter

It's a while since we were on the Watch but our son enjoyed the cruises we did on her. The staff looked after the children very well and I do not remember any areas of the ship that were out of bounds to them [although the slot machine area is probably not appropriate, while the library tends to be very quiet, of course].

We certainly sat with him in the Observatory which was one of our favourite areas.

As with you he came with us on most shore trips though on the last two cruises he had become friendly with the daugther of one of the entertainers and some other children and we consequently left him on board with them on a couple of occasions.

As for meals, he ate with us in the restaurant and there was usually something on the menu he would eat. I do not recall ordering special meals for him but the staff were so helpful I suspect that you could probably pre-order specific meals if necessary.

If the Watch is run on similar lines now as she was then you will enjoy the cruise. I'll be interested to hear how you get on as we intend to return to Olsen at some point having sailed with P&O over the past five years.

Goteborg

Archived