Was upgraded to a Penthouse Suite

CruisingMichelle

My theory...and it's only a theory....:D I think Princess upgrades new customers to "hook" them....those of us who are elite...:( ...they've already "hooked" us!! That's how I see it!!!

Then on the other hand on our 5th Princess cruise we were also upgraded from a mini to a suite on the Sapphire. Boy talk about surprised. There is no rhyme or reason how people are picked. Congrats on your upgrade.

marilyn

Reading these posts (and having NEVER been upgraded ever), reminded me of an experience my grandmother had (and sorry, but its not Princess-related, but just had to share it). This was quite some time ago - perhaps 20-25 years or so ago? She had never been on a cruise and had no idea what to expect. She was traveling alone in a cabin as my grandfather had passed away, and she only went on the trip because my stepmother's parents (who were her same age), insisted. On the only cruise of her life, she got the penthouse suite on the QE2! Which, by the way, at that time at least, included her personal butler. What do you do after that? Needless to say, she never cruised again, but boy she had a heck of a story to tell! So, it really can happen.

I wish, I wish.... nope, it isn't working for me. I am really happy for those of you who have been gifted with an upgrade. Congratulations!

Now, can you go back to a regular balcony after having a suite? Once we had a balcony we could never go back to an inside room. This might get costly!:D

Happy Cruising All.

From what I have read, these suites can be a bit on the noisey side, I think it is one reason why they seem to be the last suites booked for this ship and often become upgrade material. Those on our roll call said that their suite (directly under scoops) was so noisey they had to contact the front desk and had them rope off the section above their suite to avoid noise coming through their ceiling so they could sleep at night. Suites are great, the perks are wonderful, but anyone paying for this area really needs to be forwarned that they can be a bit noisey at times. Would it still be worth the upgrade? I would say definitely yes. But I don't think I would ever consider paying the cruise price to book one myself.

I do agree, it is really tough going back to a mini suite or below after having the amenities associated with a full suite on Princess, they are wonderful. ;) So glad you enjoyed it.

So, what cabin category are you booking next time? LOL

Agreed about the position of the PH suites under the Lido deck. We are going on a CB sailing soon, and we specifically picked a PS category, rather than the PH amidship, and specified NO UPGRADE. Having been on multiple sailings on multiple ships, I saw the recipe for a lot of noise in cat. PH. Just be forewarned, although you will have a wonderful time no matter what.

The premium suites on Grand class vessels are on lower decks (underneath only other cabins) with huge balconies. Some don't like the balconies, as they are half exposed. We loved it, it was perfect for sunning. Why Princess put the high priced cabins right under the pool deck on this class of ship is beyond me.

Congrats, what a great upgrade.

Yes, it happened to someone on our roll call last August, it was their second cruise and they were upgraded from an AB mini to a PS a couple of weeks before sailing.

It seems to happen more to new cruisers on Princess (less than 3 sailings) than anyone else, from what I have read. No idea the whys or hows of the entire process though. Again, great upgrade, hope you enjoyed it to it's fullest.

I hope we get a visit from the upgrade fairy. This fall we will be on our first Pricess cruise since 1980.

Its fun to dream the dream of a PS.:D

We, were upgraded from an AB Mini to a PH on the Diamond last year. The couple we were traveling with were also upgraded to the suite next door. We opened the door between our balconies and enjoyed twice the outdoor space. Needless to say, it was fantastic.

The nice thing about the Diamond is the premium suites are on the Caribe deck with cabins above and below...very quite.

We were told by our TA about a week before the cruise. I think Princess had overbook the minis so upgraded us to make room for others. Whatever the reason, we were thrilled.

Of course we are hoping for the same on our next cruise, but on the Emerald the suites are beneath the Lido deck so it could be less of a blessing from a noise factor.

Archived