10 year old excursion suggestions

we are taking our 10 year old grandson on a rccl voyager barcelona, nice,florence, rome, naples, sicily cruise. I would love some suggestions for tours.....I know that while I would love a day looking at art he is 10 and he first question was am i going to see that leaning tower? also we have always used independent tour operators but this is my first time in italy and it makes me hesitate with the distance involved

thanks

vickie in az

In Barcelona, the park built by Gaudi as well as other gaudi sites are very interesting because of their unique archetecture. There is also a cable car to the top of montjuc. In the bari gothic, there is a museum of history of the city that has an underground viewing of ancient ruins. When in nice we enjoyed the village of eze. it is very medieval. Our kids loved the vatican and the colliseum. We went to pompeii as well as a drive on the amalfi coast. In amalfi we went to the green grotto which they liked. You are in a row boat in the grotto. There is also the beach.

Have fun.

Last year I took my son to the Med and I spent so much time researching places to go. Here is what we did...

Barcelona - We went to the Chocolate Museum and he was fascinated. I e-mailed them prior to arriving so he could participate in a session of making his own chocolate figures. The Museum only took a couple of hours so we also went to Las Ramblas where he loved the "human statues".

For Rome, Florence and Naples - I hired Fabrizio from Allarounditaly.net. I have toured with him the last few years and he does a fabulous job with my son. Since we spent a few days pre-cruise in Rome we had a chance to see a ton of things. My son enjoyed St. Peter's (running around in the open area in front chasing pigeons!). We also rented bikes in the park and went to the Zoo. He was thrilled to try lots of different pizzas. We did see Pisa and Florence in one day. We didn't do any museums but we did walk the streets and buy gelato. In Naples we went to the Amalfi Coast and he got a chance to swim in a couple of beaches. We took a boat in Positano that was fun too.

Nice - We actually stopped in Monte Carlo and an old friend lives there so we spent the day with them. My son was fascinated with all of the yachts right at the dock.

Sicily - This was the last stop for us and we were only in port for the morning so we just got off and walked around near the dock. I would have like to see Mt Etna but we felt it was too rushed and besides we were tired after a 10 day port intensive cruise.

There's also a book called "Taking your kids to Europe" that may be helpful for you.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived