Alamo or Budget in Hawaii

shakespeare

I just booked a car through National for Maui in nov. A thought for good deals - if you have air miles that you don't plan on using to fly, you may be able to redeem them for a rental car. I used my American Air miles to get 2 days on Maui for $11.00 ( the taxes).

We used Alamo this past May on all of the islands. This was probably my wife's worst experiences of the cruise. Be patient, your on vacation. A LOT of people get off the ship about the same time. Most had booked with the cheaper rentals. That made getting a shuttle and on to a shuttle difficult at times. Hertz never seemed to have a problem for what it is worth. So plan and choose accordingly.

EasyTravel - that is a very interesting note. I guess it is a crap shoot then! When we got off the ships, the budget vans were packed and we were able to bypass every line to get to the Alamo/National vans. We had a beautifully easy time with Alamo. In fact we have an Alamo rental right now.

You didnt saw which line you were on, but I know NCL uses Budget...we theorized that is why the Budget vans were always crowded on our cruise.

For everyones info - Alamo and National are sister companies so you can catch either van (many vans will say both names on the side) to the rental booth. Just mention to the driver which you are with if you are getting on the other's van.

Suebee-

In 2 ports, we tried to hop on a National shuttle for our Alamo rental but they refused us. In Kona the National shuttle WAS also for Alamo. In fact, the nice driver here took just my family of 3 and came back for the other 11 who had reserved (when I told her we were on 1st tender) - she didn't want to delay our day!

shakespeare-

In Hilo, it took an hour to get our rental because they did not have enough Compacts returned, washed and ready, at 8 AM therefore we missed seeing Alaka Falls before our plane flight, but getting to that on time was our priority so we just chilled. People inquiring at the pier were being turned away by Budget and Alamo so I believe they overbooked - a friend on same cruise got free upgrade to convertible when Alamo had no lower grade cards available for their 9:30 AM pick up. My advice would be to reserve in advance until you know for sure if you need a car - you can alwys cancel later.

Otherwise great shuttle and service from Alamo for remainder of islands - once got an upgrade to mid size for no additonal cost, and once to a full size for only $5. Maui rep even advised us not to waste our money on fuel charge as she calculated we'd only use 1/4 tank for what we had planned. One port we returned less than 3/4 full but was charged for only 1/8 of a tank. I DID call to confirm shuttle 1st 2 ports but it became apparent they were always there anyhow so didn't continue - no one ever asked for proof of reservation when we hopped on.

As far as Kona - nice shopping port and a beach within walking distance. Some members of our group parasailed with UFO - company located near pier, others did snorkel - also a few companies at pier. Both activities have coupons in Entertainment book - book one, second person free- big savings!!

We drove to Place of Refuge an hour away and was blessed that there was a Cultural festival there that day - thoroughly enjoyed it as we did all our ports and post cruise stay.

I'm sure you'll be happy with any activity you choose - Enjoy!

Tina

All other Alamo

• 3 weeks later...

You have to check almost daily - rates and specials change regularly - Last week I booked Alamo for Oahu, Budget for Hawaii, Alamo for Maui all using the entertainment coupon - Then I booked Thrifty for Kauai - no coupon - this combination gave me the best prices.

Okie! My question for the day!!!

If your ship docks in Lahaina - and the car rental agencies are at Kahului - how far is the trek - does anyone have any better suggestions for renting directly in Lahaina?

I've looked through a million threads for the answer, I'll bet I skimmed over it thanks so much.

Car rental agencies for Lahaina are at the northern end of Kaanapali Beach, if you reserve online use the airport code of JHM.

The West Maui Airport is there and there are several rental agencies, most of them provide shuttles from the pier. Overnite parking is available at several municipal lots near the pier area for around $20 more or less.

Are you guys saying the car rental companies send shuttles to the cruise port to take you to their car lots at the airport? How do you let them know when and where to pick you up? Do they charge for the shuttles? Thanks

Like airports, most cruise ships are met with car rental shuttles (you know, like the Hertz/National/Alamo/Budget car shuttles you see endlessly circling at the airport). No, they don't usually charge. As to whether YOUR cruise ship will be met by your choice of car rental shuttle is debatable. It's always best to confirm by calling the local office of the car rental agency to find out if they'll be sending a shuttle or not to meet the ship. If not, you can always take a taxi there. Sometimes, the agency will refund your cab fare. Sometimes, they won't.

Spleen

Spleen, you are always so helpful. thanks again.. Last May we did the Legend of the Seas from Hawaii to Canada, Precruise in Oauhu at the Marriott Wakiki, lovely. Yes, get to Pearl Harbor early. Had read on here about a lady that worked for rental car agency, I think it was Dollar, i hope that is right.. Her email is Naomi.Book@tag.com. You can email here and tell her what kind, when and where and what you would like to pay based on net findings, any discount you might qualify for, and SHE will book a car for you in each port you would like. One port her agency didnt have shuttle/service and she booked us a Thrifty car.. How's that... In Mauai we got a convertible, it was fun but also, warning, back country there has many car breakins.. you walk down to the beach and come back to find a window/windshield missing. so don't leave anything inside and try to stay in site. We saw that happening and also had a police man ask us if we had seen a suspect. If you also do the back roads where you arent supposed to go... OMG, its a donkey trail, but beautiful, rent something small and have good nerves.. Have a great time. do a helicopter ride in Kauai too.

LRSkier, sailing Sunday here!!!!!!

Archived