Lamanai or Xunantunich??

cruiser102006

personally, i loved lamanai...it's was a great day and we had a terrific guide. the boat ride helped to break it up, an hour bus and about the same on a speed boat. same on the return. some stops for wildlife viewing.

i haven't been to the other site you talk about it, it wasn't available due to the longer time it takes. i guess some of the ship's exursions had been late getting back, because on your cruise it was no longer on the list. (NCL)

you can research the sites on this page:

http://www.belizeexplorer.com/cgi-local/explorer.cgi?db=explorer&uid=default&Category=Mayan+Sites&view_records=1&nh=1

it gives information on each site and well as a map to help show where they are...gives you a good idea on lenght of tour. since we know lamanai is all day. bus left a 8:30 and we got back about 4:30...

photos of lamanai are in my webshot link...under belize.

It is going to be a tough choice for you. Last year we went to Xunantunich and had a great time. This Dec we are going to Lamanai because we knew we would be back. Things to consider are the composition of your group and what you want to see/do and what are your chances of returning. Both sites are impressive. The trip to Lamanai will offer both wildlife and ruins, while Xunantunich offers a good tour of the country side with some pretty impressive ruins. Xunantunich is right on the Guatemala border and the bus trip is about 2hrs but very confortable driving.

Archived