Onboard-booking future cruise

stellasue

We'll have the opportunity next month to book a cruise for next winter while onboard.

Does the onboard cruise consultant have any leeway in quoting a price - basically, can that person offer a price that is less than the one shown on the HAL website for the catagory shown?

Now why would they be willing to do that....I wonder. I would think that you would only get a lower price later on if you put down a deposit only. I usually pay cash for the cruise the day I purchase it, vice just putting down a deposit. Maybe I should stop doing that ???? It's pretty obvious that once they get your money they're not givin' it back. Any comments on which is best...Pay Up Front, or Deposit Only ?? Jer the Bear

Now why would they be willing to do that....I wonder. I would think that you would only get a lower price later on if you put down a deposit only. I usually pay cash for the cruise the day I purchase it, vice just putting down a deposit. Maybe I should stop doing that ???? It's pretty obvious that once they get your money they're not givin' it back. Any comments on which is best...Pay Up Front, or Deposit Only ?? Jer the Bear

There are a few people who find it easier to pay in full up front because money seems to slip through their fingers, but there's absolutely no advantage to paying in full up front (exception would be certain luxury cruise lines - not HAL - who offer a discount for paying in full up front or 6 months in advance). If there's only a couple of weeks or so between time of deposit and full payment, that's one thing, but not if you're booking well in advance of sailing. Yes, it IS more difficult to obtain fare reductions - if applicable - if you've paid in full. Not impossible, but more rigmarole.

There are a few people who find it easier to pay in full up front because money seems to slip through their fingers, but there's absolutely no advantage to paying in full up front (exception would be certain luxury cruise lines - not HAL - who offer a discount for paying in full up front or 6 months in advance).

Actually HAL does offer an extra 3% discount on the Grand Voyages if you pay in full up front (or 6 months in advance, which is what I did for the Grand Asia Australia cruise this coming September). 3% doesn't sound like much of a discount but with the fares being what they are on the Grand Voyages it actually does save quite a bit of money. It didn't take me long to figure out that I was better sending my money to HAL than just leaving it in a savings account.

As to Stellasue's original question: the Onboard Cruise Consultant is simply that - a consultant, not a travel agent. Once you have decided on a cruise, the Onboard Cruise Consultant will transmit all the details to HAL and take your deposit. HAL in turn transmits all the details to your travel agent and the agent takes it from there. The agent does not lose any commission if you do it this way and, as far as I know (having just booked a 2009 cruise while on board the Oosterdam this past week) the deposit required while booking onboard is only $100.00, with no other payment required until final payment date, and should you change your mind about the cruise the $100.00 deposit is good on any cruise during the next 4 year period.

Hope this helps.

Valerie:)

Archived