Key Things to Look for in 1st Snorkel Set?

metsfan1968

When buying your first snorkeling set, what are the key things to look for? I'd like to get something relatively inexpensive, but not cheap throwaway stuff (ie, something to get me started but with features that will make it last and useful for continued use).

When buying your first snorkeling set, what are the key things to look for? I'd like to get something relatively inexpensive, but not cheap throwaway stuff (ie, something to get me started but with features that will make it last and useful for continued use).

I would recommend checking your local dive shop, this way you can try several masks on, their are different types to fit different faces ie narrow,small, pudgy, etc.. When you find a mask put the seal to your face do not pull the strap over your head then inhale thru your nose & hold your breath look down the mask should stay stuck to your face, if it falls off then look at a different brand (once you resume breathing its normal for it to fall off)

Once you have found a mask then you can look at snorkels once again lots of brands and this one will be personal preference, some recommedations large dia. tube, purge (helps drain water when you reach surface hence less water to remove) other wise color or other opt. up to you.

If you find something you like and question price you can go on line to leisurepro.com good prices and service

PADI MSDT Instructor

Hi,

Bought 2 sets in 2003 from Costco. They were cheap - less than $50.00 for everything including a carrying bag. Made by Body Glove. My plan was to try snorkeling with these, then upgrade latter to better stuff.

We have been thrilled with this stuff and I plan to keep using it till it falls apart.

I was reluctant at the time because we couldn't even try on the masks in the store. But, as my husband reminded me, they will take anything back at Costco so we went ahead and have no regrets.

Thanks everyone. I did some research a while ago but didn't remember the details of what I found. What you've mentioned above seems to confirm what I remember. I think I need to look for:

• Mask with glass lens and silicone skirt - good fit by breathing in & staying on when looking down
  • Snorkel with large diameter tube, silicone mouthpiece/flex tube, and purge valve.

Does that sound about right?

What about something protecting the water from getting into the top of snorkel tube? Isn't there something for that and if so, what's it called again?

Thanks everyone. I did some research a while ago but didn't remember the details of what I found. What you've mentioned above seems to confirm what I remember. I think I need to look for:

• Mask with glass lens and silicone skirt - good fit by breathing in & staying on when looking down
  • Snorkel with large diameter tube, silicone mouthpiece/flex tube, and purge valve.

Does that sound about right?

What about something protecting the water from getting into the top of snorkel tube? Isn't there something for that and if so, what's it called again?

On your snorkel Q&A , they usually call them dry snorkels the top will close when the snorkel drops below water. and will stay dry untill you reach the suface. they work for the most part but if you do use a dry snorkel just be cautious on your first breath so that you will not inhale water just in case it did not close.

Snorkel with large diameter tube, silicone mouthpiece/flex tube, and purge valve.
Snorkels with all the bells and whistles are unnecessary; it's basically a bent tube you breathe through. The the flex tube, for instance, is for scuba divers-- a rigid tube tends to get in the way of the regulator. Purge valves leak... mine does if a long surface swim gets me breathing hard (I'm a scuba diver). Experienced divers tend to avoid purge valves in masks, too, for the same reason. "Dry" snorkels are not reliable.

Any mask that fits is the right mask. Again, keep it simple.

Fins are a different story. Treat yourself to really good fins. There are scuba fins and fins designed for snorkeling. I use my scuba fins when I snorkel because I'm too cheap to buy another pair, but they're way too stiff and don't work terribly well at the surface. Fit is important, so they don't come off and so they don't chafe your feet. Waterlogged skin is soft and vulnerable and the fin's foot pocket will tend to tear up your instep and ankle no matter what. You might want to consider a neoprene sock (will protect your feet on the beach too).

You might want to consider an inflatable snorkeling vest, too.

Happy diving!

The the flex tube, for instance, is for scuba divers-- a rigid tube tends to get in the way of the regulator.

My thought was that the flex tube would allow for more comfortable positioning of the mouthpiece since you could move it a little to get into your mouth no matter what position the tube was in once attached to the mask. Would this not be the case - or such a minimal advantage that it is not worth it?

Purge valves leak

Without the purge valve, how do you clear water in the tube/mouthpiece? Simply take it out of your mouth and shake it? (Sorry for the silly question - total newbie with snorkeling)

There are scuba fins and fins designed for snorkeling. I use my scuba fins when I snorkel because I'm too cheap to buy another pair, but they're way too stiff and don't work terribly well at the surface.

What would the difference(s) be that would make a fin better for snorkeling? The ones I've seen included in snorkel sets seem pretty rigid.

You might want to consider a neoprene sock (will protect your feet on the beach too).

I saw these the other day and figured they would be good to have. Thanks for the confirmation/suggestion - I'll look into the vest also.

Take a look at our ProGlide Snorkeling Package ($49.99), it is all pro grade equipment meeting the features others have mentioned in prior posts and may be exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.123scuba.com/p-MFS01.html

We have professional scuba instructors to answer your equipment questions so please do not hesitate to contact us. Thanks!

I have a purge valve and it does not leak. When you are an inexperienced snorkeler, I think it is easy to get 'freaked out'. Especially if the only access to air is suddenly clogged with water. I place my palm firmly over the end of the snorkels purge valve (closest to my mouth) and blow really hard. I probably sound like a whale, but it clears the water throught the top of the snorkel without my having to stop (feeling like I need to stand on some unknown perch underneath me or tread water) and remove my snorkel, dump it and then reposition.

And there are no silly questions. You have to learn somehow, better to start by learning from the experience of others.

We have some cheapie fins that have been wonderful (Sports Authority store purchase, I think). They have a strap that goes around your heel and it is adjustable. They are a 1000 times easier to put on and to get off. Plus a quick tug on one side of the strap will tighten them after you have been in the water for a bit and they have loosened up. Opposite of other posters, we get in the water and put our mask and snorkel on and float on our stomach. Then we can easily pull our knees up, stick our feet in the pocket and tug on the strap to tighten. We have watched many people fall over from lack of balance (all it takes is one small wave).

My best advice is to buy a set and practice at a local pool to get comfortable with your gear. That way you will be ready to see the underwater sights on your trip and not worrying about the fit, feel, etc of your gear.

Enjoy!

their are many different types of equipment and opions. what ever you pick just remeber that you want to be comfortable with your choise and enjoy the experiance.

Being an Instructor and have logged over 3500 dives purge valves are not a bad thing they help when help is needed. I do not prefer purge valves but I recommend to begginers because of ease of use. I do how ever have a purge on my snorkels and like it, I also snorkel with it and have had no problems with it. Understanding your equipment and Knowledge is always key.

Also try contacting your local dive shop they do have a snorkling class you can take if they offer it or they might hook you up with one of their dive classes and allow you to take just the snorkling section.

PADI MSDT INSTRUCTOR

Q1: There's nothing wrong with having the flex tube, it's just not needed. Even with a rigid tube, there's plenty of slack to make small adjustments. The clip that attaches the tube to the mask strap allows extensive adjustment both up and down and sideways. The flex tube feature is designed for scuba divers, allowing the snorkel mouthpiece to drop away and not interfere with the regulator when the diver switches to tank air.

Q2: To clear the snorkel, you blow out. Simple! You have to breathe out before you can breathe in, anyway... so this is a problem that solves itself. Water is only going to get into the snorkel when you dive beneath the surface, holding your breath. When you surface, your exhaled breath forces the water out. Are you concerned that water will get into the tube while you're swimming on the surface? It's never happened to me. I suppose it could happen in really rough water.

Q3: Fins included in a snorkeling set are the kind you need. I only brought up this issue in case you were getting outfitted piece by piece at a dive shop. Scuba fins are larger and stiffer than snorkeling fins... think barn doors!

One more thing: are you planning on just swimming along the surface, or are you going to dive down too? Because if you do any breath-hold diving, you'll need to know how to clear your ears. This is important: you can damage your ear drums if you try it without clearing. Post here and I can get you the info.

Happy diving!

We just bought four U.S.Divers snorkel sets from Costco (39.99)-- my hubby is relatively experienced with snorkeling and after trying out one set to make sure it fit right as discussed in previous posts -- we were sold to gear our family up for a December cruise.

Being a beginner myself, I'm anxious to get lots of practice in the pool this Summer :D.

Thanks for all the advice.

... if you do any breath-hold diving, you'll need to know how to clear your ears. This is important: you can damage your ear drums if you try it without clearing. Post here and I can get you the info.

Are you referring to regulating the pressure by holding your nose and "popping" your ears? I've done that when scuba diving (went once on a prior cruise). I don't imagine I'd be diving much at first, but I always like to learn as much as I can about anything I do - so if you have info to share, I'd love to see it.

Archived