shore excursions on Transatlantic Cruise

hondian

We are doing a Celebrity Transatlantic cruise in March with stops in Azores, Vigo & Gijon Spain, Cherbourg and La Rochelle France. Has anyone done shore excursions in these ports and are they worth doing or just going around the ports on our own?

We did an excursion through RCCL in Cherbourg where we traveled around different areas that were involved in the D-Day invasion, toured the D-Day museum and had a buffet lunch while there, and then spent time at the American Cemetary.

As a US citizen in my 50s I found this to be one of the most incredible excursions I've ever taken. It really showed the impact that a generation of Americans had on the lives of people in France. It was humbling to see the row upon row of white crosses in the cemetary that marked the graves of young heros who had died and been buried in a country far from home.

If you are a patriot or a historian I would HIGHLY recommend a similar tour!

Cheryl

We are doing a Celebrity Transatlantic cruise in March with stops in Azores, Vigo & Gijon Spain, Cherbourg and La Rochelle France. Has anyone done shore excursions in these ports and are they worth doing or just going around the ports on our own?

We have a fairly active roll call going for this sailing. Please join us! Some are working on an excursion to the Normandy beaches from Cherbourg, but for many of the ports it looks like our time will be short for excursions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=554290&page=21

Like Waterbaby, I am on this sailing, too.

While I understand the usual tour X offers from Cherbourg to the D day beaches/museum is 9 hours, I'm extremely disappointed they could not offer a shorter tour to suit our 6 hours in port.

especially given the historical significance of the area, and the fact that the ship sails into dry dock the next day.

Like Waterbaby, I am on this sailing, too.

While I understand the usual tour X offers from Cherbourg to the D day beaches/museum is 9 hours, I'm extremely disappointed they could not offer a shorter tour to suit our 6 hours in port.

especially given the historical significance of the area, and the fact that the ship sails into dry dock the next day.

Archived