Time share exchanges...?

patterson3

Anyone ever try to exchange their week at their time-share for a cruise? My parents have a time share through RCI and I know they've mentioned that you can get some kind of deal on cruises by trading in your week, but they've never really looked too far into it so I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience doing that?

Generally, it is NOT a good deal. Many times the prices shown on the RCI Cruise site are the same as you'd find elsewhere, but you also have to pay the exchange fee AND lose the use of your week.

It could make sense if booking 4 cabins in a high category but in most cases, not worth it. I researched this quite a bit a few years ago and found just a few instances where it made sense.

I've also received "cruise vouchers" for things like paying my maint fees online. Have yet to see those be a good deal, either, and even worse, they charge a fee for each cabin, from $100 - 200 EACH!!!

Each time we have considered taking a cruise, we research the prices for doing an exchange of our timeshare. It has never been worthwhile for us and we've done a lot of reading about others feeling the same way.

Keep the timeshare and use it yourself or think about gifting the time to someone or "renting" it to family or friends...you will be farther ahead.

Many cruises, such as 3-7 day cruises in the Caribbean, will only get you a $100-$200 credit for your exchange. Other cruises can get you up to $1200/cabin. As someone else noted, you can book up to 4 cabins, and get the discount on each, for one exchange.

If your parents regularly use their week, it may not be a great deal, but if they, like many people, let their week go to waste, they are better off getting some sort of credit for it, even if it's only a few hundred bucks.

You can check the discount available through rci.com versus your cruiseline's website.

I booked 2 cabins through RCI for an upcoming cruise and saved about $1200 off RCCL's rates.

My SO's brother & sister-in-law were planning on using their time-share credit to join us on the Carnival Miracle in May. But they changed their minds when they were offered only a $300 credit on what would be a $3100 cabin. I too wish it was a better deal for them. :(

Archived