Religious Services on Grand

Chesie

We just got off a 10 day on the Coral. There was a priest on board who had mass everyday at 9am. We have been fortunate to have a priest on the last couple of cruises we took. They have been RCCL cruises and this last Princess. They do have Jewish services on board. If no Rabbi then they ask for a volunteer to do them. Also a interdenominational one is offered usually by a crew member.

We also were in ports on Sundays when we attended mass.

We have been on cruises where the Staff Captain has led a Sunday service that loosely follows the Anglican tradition of services. We have also had a service led by the Cruise Director on Sun. These Protestant services have been about 9AM on Sundays. They are held in a lounge or one of the show venues. They last about one hour. There is a basket at the rear for donations and it is mentioned that any donations received goes to, cannot recall the exact title, but something like the Seaman's Fund. There are two or three hymns sung, a prayer read, and a reading (sermon).

We have been on cruises where the Staff Captain has led a Sunday service that loosely follows the Anglican tradition of services. We have also had a service led by the Cruise Director on Sun. These Protestant services have been about 9AM on Sundays. They are held in a lounge or one of the show venues. They last about one hour. There is a basket at the rear for donations and it is mentioned that any donations received goes to, cannot recall the exact title, but something like the Seaman's Fund. There are two or three hymns sung, a prayer read, and a reading (sermon).

We just got off the Grand on 2/9 and imagine my surprise after dinner on Wednesday to see people with ashes on their foreheads. I had completely forgotten that Lent began that week. They obviously had someone who passed out ashes. I think there was a priest on board as I do remember seeing something in the patter about 9 am mass on Sunday.

I know Celebrity always has a priest on board and they sign a contract like the crew for a certain period of time but not months and months. There is Mass every day. We had a great Irish priest onboard for our Hawaii cruise and my cousins kind of adopted him and bought him a drink or sat with him for lunch every time they saw him. He was a really nice guy.

Archived