Vancouver Itinenary Review Please

JerseyJT

To all the wonderful Vancouver & Canadian posters and past travelers...I would appreciate your comments, suggestions or guidance for our upcoming Pre & Post Cruise Stay. We are a group of 6 traveling from the East Coast. We have reservations @ the Hampton Inn & Suites in Vancouver.

PRE-CRUISE

Friday, July 18th - Arrive 2PM - Plan Hop On /Off Trolley or Big Bus Tour - take straight thru

1. Any suggestions which is best?
  2. Is this too much to plan on same day as flight.

Saturday, July 19th - AM - Spend AM revisiting Take Hop on/Off Trolley or Big Bus tour stops that caught our interest. Board ship early afternoon

POST-CRUISE

Saturday, July 26th - Disembark as early as possible....drop luggage @ Hampton Inn - Take Bus then Sea Bus then Bus to Capilano Bridge then bus to Grouse Mountain...Return via bus/seabus same route to Hampton Inn.

Arrive in plenty of time for planned viewing of Celebration of Light @ 10PM

3. What bus would we take from Hampton Inn to the SeaBus?

4. Where would you suggest for best viewing of Celebration of Light

without mass of crowds?

5. Do you think we could see the fireworks from the top of the

Hampton Inn?

Sunday, July 27th - Spend in Stanley Park...Ride Bikes.....Visit Aquarium

Depart for airport by 4:30PM

Is this a do-able itinerary? Any suggestions for improvement?

Also...we have a chance to get reservations for the Vancouver Residence Inn @ about the same price? Which do you think is a better deal...Hampton Inn & Suites or Vancouver Residence Inn?

Thanks everyone for your help. Cruise Critic gave us great tips for our first cruise to the Caribbean June 07 and already has been a fantastic help for our first Alaska trip. Thanks again for taking time to help us newbies.

J

By the way...if anyone ever needs Atlantic City help just drop me a line. (I can also be some help for Philadelphia travelers as we are only an hour away)

"Vancouver Residence Inn"

Do you mean the Marriott Residence Inn - if so it would be a better hotel for the fireworks - the Hampton Inn is too far into the downtown core to be able to see much even from the roof and I believe there are a couple of construction cranes that will also block the view - if you are at the Marriott you might even to able to see most of the fireworks from your room - otherwise you are only a couple of blocks away from the water and a view - remember there are upwards of 400,000 people who come to watch the display so their ain't any not crowded places in the downtown core unless you are like me and have a rooftop terrace where you can view the fireworks from - the Marriott is a block away from my condo.

As for the rest of your itinerary - yes it is doable - for the bus to Seabus - it would actually be better at the Marriott as you can walk one block west to Burrard and then catch just about any bus heading north - north in Vancouver is always towards the mountains - several end at the Seabus terminal.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

My first comment is that likely you could do all that. But you sure have it all packed in :)

I have stayed at the residence Inn. I think it would be a better location for a couple of reasons. One you could easily walk to the "Fireworks" and it's a bit closer to "Downtown" also. It does have one of the best Smorg breakfasts (or I guess I should said did have when we were there;i t's been a while) that I have every experienced.

I think you will find the morning of your cruise just about full without more hop on/off if you plan on getting to the ship earlier rather than later. Maybe plan a taxi tour enroute to the pier for a bit more viewing.

The people are "En mass" pretty well everywhere there is viewing for the fireworks to the best of my knowledge. Maybe somebody that has been could offer more info. Mine is just from what I have read.

LeftcoastBC and Urban trekker sorry to bud in on your post but I am also looking for info that so far no one has really been able to answer.

We will be in Vancouver BC in September for 2 days Pre-cruise and we are wanting to eat where the locals go. We are interested in reasonable resturants that serve burgers, pasta, steaks, sandwichs, soups, and maybe a little seafood. Can you recommend some places?

We are booked to stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites Sept. 10-12, I know we could have gotten a hotel more centered in the city but we got this hotel really cheap due to family members managing a Hilton in the U.S.

Can you help us? My DH is all about the food while on vacation so I want to make sure I have plenty of choices. I have also ordered an entertainment book for Vancouver so if you know what resturants are in there maybe you can recommend some from there. If not I will post to you if you don't mind when I receive mine and give you some names that are listed.

I would appreciate any help you can give us.

Thank you

You may be interested to know that Hilton is going to be building a new hotel right next door to the Hampton Inn - they haven't started work yet so it will be some time before it will be ready - as for eating - there are some places near your hotel but the best selection would be about six or seven blocks up Robson closer to the main entertainment area of the city or in Yaletown a few blocks to the south - when you get the Entertainment book and glance through it get back to us and us locals will be more than happy to give you some opinions.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I don't actually live in Vancouver so when we go "To Town" we tend to eat upper end if we can afford it. So I really don't have those hole in the wall places down from personal experience.

But if you want great burgers and get yelled at try here.

http://www.emenus.ca/hamburgermary/

Granville Island has a bunch of restaurants as does the English Bay end of Denman Street.

Urban trekker & Leftcoastbc...Thank you so much for your suggestions. It looks like the Marriott Residence Inn will be the better for us location wise. The only drawback is that they do not provide transport to the dock so that it will cost an extra $70.00 for the group but may be worth it for the location.

Does anyone know if the Residence Inn has any rooftop or terrace viewing for us to stay right there for the Celebration of Light? Also is there a radio station to tune to to listen to the simulcast music?

I'm also looking to find anyone that has had any experience with Luxery Limobus Charters in Vancouver as they have given the best price so far for our transfers.

Urban trekker...sounds like your condo terrace will be great for your viewing.

LeftcoastBC....thanks for the info on Hamburger Mary's. Sounds like a place our group may enjoy. How far is it from the Residence Inn?

I know out itineary is tight...hopefully we'll have the energy to do everything. I'm thinking that Pre-Cruise we will have a very early bedtime Friday nite cause we start traveling @ 4AM threfore everyone may be up real early due to the that & the time change from the East Coast to Vancouver. This may give us some extra time then if we can get moving.

I welcome comments on what others have experienced with the time change from the East Coast?

Thanks

JerseyJ

"Vancouver Residence Inn"

Do you mean the Marriott Residence Inn - if so it would be a better hotel for the fireworks - the Hampton Inn is too far into the downtown core to be able to see much even from the roof and I believe there are a couple of construction cranes that will also block the view - if you are at the Marriott you might even to able to see most of the fireworks from your room - otherwise you are only a couple of blocks away from the water and a view - remember there are upwards of 400,000 people who come to watch the display so their ain't any not crowded places in the downtown core unless you are like me and have a rooftop terrace where you can view the fireworks from - the Marriott is a block away from my condo.

As for the rest of your itinerary - yes it is doable - for the bus to Seabus - it would actually be better at the Marriott as you can walk one block west to Burrard and then catch just about any bus heading north - north in Vancouver is always towards the mountains - several end at the Seabus terminal.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Does anyone know if the Residence Inn has any rooftop or terrace viewing for us to stay right there for the Celebration of Light? Also is there a radio station to tune to to listen to the simulcast music?

I don't think there is a rooftop. If you have room on front side near top you might have a bit of a view... its not a tall hotel and the height of land is between you and the event and you would play peek a boo with other taller buildings. I recall there being a radio simulcast but not the station. It won't be hard to locate when you arrive.

LeftcoastBC....thanks for the info on Hamburger Mary's. Sounds like a place our group may enjoy. How far is it from the Residence Inn?

Out the door and a few steps to the corner of Davie and West (Left) about 4 blocks

I know out itineary is tight...hopefully we'll have the energy to do everything. I'm thinking that Pre-Cruise we will have a very early bedtime Friday nite cause we start traveling @ 4AM threfore everyone may be up real early due to the that & the time change from the East Coast to Vancouver. This may give us some extra time then if we can get moving.

I welcome comments on what others have experienced with the time change from the East Coast?

Thanks

JerseyJ

hope this helps also

LeftcoastBC and Urban trekker sorry to bud in on your post but I am also looking for info that so far no one has really been able to answer.

We will be in Vancouver BC in September for 2 days Pre-cruise and we are wanting to eat where the locals go. We are interested in reasonable resturants that serve burgers, pasta, steaks, sandwichs, soups, and maybe a little seafood. Can you recommend some places?

We are booked to stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites Sept. 10-12, I know we could have gotten a hotel more centered in the city but we got this hotel really cheap due to family members managing a Hilton in the U.S.

Can you help us? My DH is all about the food while on vacation so I want to make sure I have plenty of choices. I have also ordered an entertainment book for Vancouver so if you know what resturants are in there maybe you can recommend some from there. If not I will post to you if you don't mind when I receive mine and give you some names that are listed.

I would appreciate any help you can give us.

Thank you

I have the vancouver coupon book and if there's a coupon for a good burger place called Roxy Burger in it that's downtown. And Hamburger Mary's which is mentioned above is awesome!!

"radio station to tune to to listen to the simulcast music'

Yes Rock 101.1 CFMI provides that service and I can't see a rooftop terrace on the hotel at least not from my balcony.

It's a three block walk to Hamburger Mary's - here's a link to some of the restaurants in the West End - English Bay area which starts about a block from your hotel.

http://englishbay.com/dining

Cheers

Dennis

"radio station to tune to to listen to the simulcast music'

Yes Rock 101.1 CFMI provides that service and I can't see a rooftop terrace on the hotel at least not from my balcony.

It's a three block walk to Hamburger Mary's - here's a link to some of the restaurants in the West End - English Bay area which starts about a block from your hotel.

http://englishbay.com/dining

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks again for going above & beyond. I have a list of your info & Pearls of Wisdom all saved for our trip.

How about that Luxery Limobus? any information on them?

J

Ok everyone I received my Entertainment Book today and have a few places to ask about...

Cia bella restaurant and piano bar ...703 denham St.

Cordon Bleu Cafe.....250 E 1st St. North Vancouver

Zefferelli's ......1136 Robson St.

Amarcord Ristorante Italiano...104-1168 Hamilton St.

Pepita's Restaurant.....2015 Burrard St.

Stonegrill...1161 Granville St. ??? Is this place really expensive?

Bogart's Chophouse & Bar....1619 W. Broadway

Sophie's Cosmic Cafe....2095 W. 4th Ave.

The Smoking Dog Bistro...1889 W. 1st Ave.

Medley's Restaurant....1110 Howe St.

KAlypso Quzeria.....#200-1025 Robson St.

Cascades Lounge....300-999 Canada Place

Zachary's on Robson....121 robson St.

Cafe Pacifica.....300-999 Canada Place

Tivolli's Downtown....1379 Howe St.

Can you please tell me how far these are from The Hampton Inn on Robson, Are they safe, Good, and are they in a safe part of town if we are out after dark?

PLease tell me if these are very expensive places to go also?

Thank you

Ok everyone I received my Entertainment Book today and have a few places to ask about...

Cia bella restaurant and piano bar ...703 denham St.

Cordon Bleu Cafe.....250 E 1st St. North Vancouver

Zefferelli's ......1136 Robson St.

Amarcord Ristorante Italiano...104-1168 Hamilton St.

Pepita's Restaurant.....2015 Burrard St.

Stonegrill...1161 Granville St. ??? Is this place really expensive?

Bogart's Chophouse & Bar....1619 W. Broadway

Sophie's Cosmic Cafe....2095 W. 4th Ave.

The Smoking Dog Bistro...1889 W. 1st Ave.

Medley's Restaurant....1110 Howe St.

KAlypso Quzeria.....#200-1025 Robson St.

Cascades Lounge....300-999 Canada Place

Zachary's on Robson....121 robson St.

Cafe Pacifica.....300-999 Canada Place

Tivolli's Downtown....1379 Howe St.

Can you please tell me how far these are from The Hampton Inn on Robson, Are they safe, Good, and are they in a safe part of town if we are out after dark?

PLease tell me if these are very expensive places to go also?

Thank you

I hope someone can help.....:o

I have to second what Leftcoast BC said - haven't been there - haven't done that but here goes:

La bella restaurant and piano bar ...703 Denman St. - in the West End of Vancouver

Cordon Bleu Cafe.....250 E 1st St. North Vancouver - across the water from downtown

Zefferelli's ......1136 Robson St. - on the main Robson street shopping area

Amarcord Ristorante Italiano...104-1168 Hamilton St. - in Yaletown - a couple of blocks from your hotel

Pepita's Restaurant.....2015 Burrard St. - outside of the downtown core but a good restaurant

Stonegrill...1161 Granville St. ??? Is this place really expensive? - not sure that is is still in business - since I live close by will check it out.

Bogart's Chophouse & Bar....1619 W. Broadway - outside of the downtown core

Sophie's Cosmic Cafe....2095 W. 4th Ave. - not far from Pepita's

The Smoking Dog Bistro...1889 W. 1st Ave. - same area as Sophie's and Pepita's

Medley's Restaurant....1110 Howe St. - in the Holiday Inn on Howe if I am not mistaken.

KAlypso Quzeria.....#200-1025 Robson St. - on the Robson street shopping strip

Cascades Lounge....300-999 Canada Place - at the Pan Pacific - cruise ship terminal

Zachary's on Robson....121 robson St. - this one is just about outside your hotel front door

Cafe Pacifica.....300-999 Canada Place - at Pan Pacific

Tivolli's Downtown....1379 Howe St. - in the Executive In hotel on Howe

Hope this helps - will try and find a link or map to better show these locations.

Cheers

Dennis

Good news - Zachary's isn't out the front door of the Hampton - it is the restaurant in the hotel - here is the web site for Zachary's.

http://www.where2eat.ca/restaurants/zacharys_restaurant.php

As for the Stone Grill - the address you typed in is wrong - it should be 1661 Granville which is under the Granville Street bridge and part of a restaurant complex:

http://www.where2eat.ca/restaurants/stonegrill_restaurant.php

Cheers

Dennis

Archived