Alaska in May

harrowgirl

I am pregnant, and my husband and I are looking at taking a last hurrah trip. I have found a Celebrity Cruise that I can take (will be under the 27week pregnant requirement), leaving Seattle on May 9. It looks a bit interesting, but I'm wondering what the weather will be like at the beginning of May i.e. will it be very rainy and/or cold? I'm wondering if it will be light jacket weather or bundle up weather.

Are there any other considerations I should make before deciding on an Alaskan cruise in May?

Thanks!

We've been to Alaska twice in May. I love it then because there is still a lot of snow in the mountains. There won't be snow where you will be going except for the glaciers and inland if you go to the Yukon. The weather varied from day to day. The first trip was colder than the second even though it was later in May. I had a light weight down jacket with me and was glad that I had it. I also appreciated the hat and gloves particularly when we were viewing the glaciers. The wind off the ice is cold. The most important thing about dressing for Alaska is to dress in layers. Since the weather changes a lot, you can add or remove layers to adjust. Good rain gear is a must since it rains a lot there. We invested in Gore-tex jackets for our second trip and have never regretted it. We use them all the time here in Virginia.

These *&%$#@#& Boards keep wiping out the post. It will probably show up 6 times. Oh, well.

Just be prepared for any weather. On our May repo from SF to Vancouver - dry, shorts weather in Skagway, and glorious weather in Glacier Bay. In 2003 we were buying fleece in Denali and shipping it home 2 days later. Last year Glacier Bay was fogged in, it was pouring rain, and the temperature was in the 40s. The next day in College Fjord was absolutely beautiful! The lesson? Stay flexible and go with layers.

Anytime is a great time for Alaska!

Archived