Cancun or Playa

jeffinhburg

On our Dream stop in Cancun, there was a rumor flying that NCL was at some point going to swap the Cancun stop for a more northern port, near Playa. Any news on that? I am looking at going on the Dream out of New Orleans again next spring, but the itinerary still says Cancun. No desire to go to Cancun again, but would LOVE to go to Playa del Carmen. If it's really going to Cancun, I think I'd be more likely to go with the Sun our of MIA.

NCL will switch the stop at Cancun and will stop at Playa del Carmen starting in Oct. of 2005 - tenders will still be required and will let passengers off at the pier in the middle of town. In my opinion this is a better destination - lots of resturants, bars, and fun here - everything is close and centrally located - one very long main street with everything you could ask for. The NCL Dream out of Houston and the NCL Sun out of New Orleans will make this stop instead of Cancun - the remainder of the itinerary will remain the same.

Playa del Carmen is actually about 50 miles south of Cancun - directly across the channel from Cozumel.

Oops, got my maps upside down - on a normal day I know that. Thanks for the definitive answer. I will have to go there -- not really impressed with Cancun (although others seemed to be). I have lists of places I want to go in Playa, though. Unfortunately, that will have to be a future cruise, then, b/c I can't wait 'til October '05 for a cruise. Have you been to Pancho's/Frida Bar?

Archived