Road to Hana

coiran

This is why I don't recommend driving the loop around the northwest section of Maui - the part north of Lahaina and west of Wailuku is very narrow. The "forbidden" section of the road to Hana is a piece of cake in comparison.

Spleen

Maui is an amazing island with so many places to discover. If you only have a day, I would not recommend renting a car and driving the road to hana. It is beautiful but remember you will be stuck in the car for the entire day following other tourists around windy roads. If you are let off in Lahina I would check out the cliffs at the far end of Kannipalli beach. You can snorkel, or jump off them but it is a great spot to spend the day. The other beach that we went to was Slauter House (great boogie board waves and neat fish and is less crowded than Kannapalli.

http://www.summitcolorado.com

We did the Road to Hana out of Kahului. We were in port from 8am to 10 pm, which gave us more than enough time to take it easy, stop where we wanted, and still get back with hours to spare. We completed the loop, which I highly recommend. The best waterfall we saw all day was after Hana. The views change dramatically as you circle around and it's a lot of fun. We had a Wrangler and we used the 4x4 feature, but only because we could. There was a Chrysler Sebring behind us that had no problems on the rough roads. We also saw Roberts Hawaii tour buses having no problem. The time it took for the road past Hana was no longer than the road to Hana itself.

We drove the Northwest section of road during our post cruise stay on Maui. It is far more windy than the road to Hana, but it is doable. The road gets narrow, but is in pretty good condition in most places--they've been repaving. There may be construction delays during the week this summer though. If you do this drive, just make sure you have plenty of time and don't rush. Use your horn when approaching blind corners.

• 3 weeks later...

I have drove it 3 times the first was horrible. Then we rented a convertible and it was wonderful. The reason being with the roof down the driver can see 3-4 times more scenery rather than just stareing down the middle of the road. Try it, you won't be sorry. Also Hamoa beach ( not sure of the spelling) just on the far end of Hana, is my very favorite beach in the world. Enjoy

The most amazing site on Maui is Haliakala at sunrise. Since that is unavailble to the cruise ships, the road to Hana is the next best thing. Most likely,you can order a tour tape through the internet or buy one at the Walmart in Maui. This tape will tell you all the highlights of the tour. If you take a tour group, you are tied to thier schedule. Part of the fun is being able to pull over to the side of the road and swimming under a waterfall or exporing freshwater caves with a mask and snorlke. Get a convertable and drive the road yourself! Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

we're also interested in the Hana Road and thought that Maui Guides might be a good compromise. You rent the car, but they provide a driver/tour guide that will design the drive/route/stops to what ever you want. I think every company but Budget will let you use another driver. That way we could enjoy the drive, but not have to drive. Anybody every heard of them, or used this as an option? We're on the Infinity, and plan to just do the "good" road, so we have more time to explore a few other areas.

Few pointers -

Twin Falls is easy to miss, only marked by a small Fruit /Sugar Cane Truck... worth the short hike if you are properly dressed.

Saw a fellow cruiser covered in marks from a bacteria in one of the pools from Maui - might merit investigation.

We had to do the drive on day two (POA) and were way too rushed to enjoy the ride, if possible do it day one and try to plan a lunch in the park in Hana (?) with the black sand beach - beautiful scenery there, small beach.

Car rental was worthwhile in Maui, very much so. Our rental company didn't mention resticted areas and I was told in several places that those roads are no longer restricted, but you might want to check ahead (maybe reserve in advance as well).

Aloha!

Archived