Low-Sodium Experiences...

a9753

I ticked off low-sodium in the cruise personalizer, is that all the needs to be done?

What happens on the first day at lunch @ the buffet? How can you eat low-sodium? Also, what happens with anytime dining? Can you share your experiences please?

Thanks!

I ticked off low-sodium in the cruise personalizer, is that all the needs to be done?

What happens on the first day at lunch @ the buffet? How can you eat low-sodium? Also, what happens with anytime dining? Can you share your experiences please?

Thanks!

You need to speak to the maitre d' and/or head waiter and your waiter. You know what to choose and not to choose by experience, so buffet lunch shouldn't be a problem. When I eat low fat or low sodium or low carb (things change with my moods :) ), I've been doing it so long that I know what to eat and what not to eat. All sauces are highly salted, so avoid them like the plague. So are the soups.

Pia

I am very salt sensitive and I am able to control my salt intake by ordering from the "spa" section of the menu. This is available at lunch & dinner when you eat in the dining room. However, you're on your own to use your best judgement at all other eating venues. If you know your "stuff" you should be able to do just fine. The "spa" menu is for the most part good & it's such a pleasure to be able to order anything & not have to worry about the sodium. Beware, all choices off the regular menu are very high in sodium content.

If you check off "low sodium" on the personalizer, the Matre de should come over to your table the first night and ask you if you want him to specialize your menu everyday for you. I have never taken him up on this offer (as I didn't want to be so "focused" on it) so you may want to get additional input on this matter from someone else.

Have a great time!:)

I would go and see the MaitreD as soon as you are on the ship just to make sure he knows about your diet. Each night he will bring you the menu for the next night and you can take you choice and it will be prepared without salt. If you eat breakfast or lunch in the dining room, you are on your own, but if you eat in the dining room just ask to see the head waiter and he will take care of you.

sue

Even if you're doing Anytime, you can get your low sodium options. We had a card in our cabin saying "since you chose AT please see your headwaiter for your special request" (or words to that effect). On the first night he helped DH choose the best options from what was there, and as Sue mentioned he brought the next day's menu for DH to choose. Even soups can be made w/o salt, BTW. DH was very pleased with the service and attention.

We always use the HC for b'fast and lunch, and DH always found plenty to eat. Just make judicious choices :) .

Archived