Tipping butler/concierge?

LegalCat

So this is our first time sailing in a cabin where we will have a butler and concierge. In fact we will be sailing in an AA owners suite on the PoAm...

I anticipate using the concierge to book some spa and dinner appointments.. im not sure what else...

And I anticipate using the butler MAYBE to unpack (seems reallly weird to me but everyone keeps telling me I should do it since they make a point of specifically offering it lol) (my mom says I have to make sure to buy new underwear if someone else is unpacking my bag LOL)... I also keep hearing they will run a bath for you if you call on the way from dinner etc... i might do that too...

I'm sure there are other things....

So what Im wondering is.. do you tip as you go along... if I ask the butler to run me a bath, is he gonna be around when I get back so I can slip him a tip... do I have to tip before or after i make the request.. or is it normal to tip all at the end?

I have to be honest I always feel bad when tipping.. i feel like I never know how much is the right amount and always wonder if they think i'm too cheap or giving too much etc...

On regular cruises we have paid the amount charged to your room for the regular tips, and then given extra $ to the room steward and the waiter at dinner....

Oh and since this is freestyle... you may or may not have the same waiter each time.. if you get reallly extra good service at that particular meal... would it be normal to tip a few dollars at the end of the meal? Is it different in the pay restaurants versus the "free" ones??

Sorry for all the questions!! LOL

So this is our first time sailing in a cabin where we will have a butler and concierge. In fact we will be sailing in an AA owners suite on the PoAm...

I anticipate using the concierge to book some spa and dinner appointments.. im not sure what else...

And I anticipate using the butler MAYBE to unpack (seems reallly weird to me but everyone keeps telling me I should do it since they make a point of specifically offering it lol) (my mom says I have to make sure to buy new underwear if someone else is unpacking my bag LOL)... I also keep hearing they will run a bath for you if you call on the way from dinner etc... i might do that too...

I'm sure there are other things....

So what Im wondering is.. do you tip as you go along... if I ask the butler to run me a bath, is he gonna be around when I get back so I can slip him a tip... do I have to tip before or after i make the request.. or is it normal to tip all at the end?

I have to be honest I always feel bad when tipping.. i feel like I never know how much is the right amount and always wonder if they think i'm too cheap or giving too much etc...

On regular cruises we have paid the amount charged to your room for the regular tips, and then given extra $ to the room steward and the waiter at dinner....

Oh and since this is freestyle... you may or may not have the same waiter each time.. if you get reallly extra good service at that particular meal... would it be normal to tip a few dollars at the end of the meal? Is it different in the pay restaurants versus the "free" ones??

Sorry for all the questions!! LOL

I know this will seem strange as I am very much for the service charge that takes this hassle and thinking out of the work for the passenger on the cruise, but I can tell you what I do.

When I have a butler I tip at the end. I use the $10 per day as a guideline if I use the butler for average things that is what I give. If I have him butler parties I give him/her more.

Except at the specialty restaurants I rarely tip extra although at the end of the cruise if one particular waiter or staff has been extraordinary I seek them out and tip them extra.

At the specialty restaurants although its not required I tend to leave some extra if the service was outstanding. I also if I am getting a free bottle of wine or its part of the honeymoon package leave a few extra dollars in lieu of the tip I would have paid otherwise, and that's how I handle it and sleep well at night.

For the concierge I do what I do on land $10-$20 per service.

Archived