Verizon cell phones in Bahamas

monoptn

Hi all, we are leaving for Atlantis this Sunday without our children for a few days in the sun! I called Verizon and am not sure still about being able to use our cell phones to talk with our children. Anyone use theirs in the Bahamas? Any problems? Was it very expensive?? Thanks

Lori in TN

Hi all, we are leaving for Atlantis this Sunday without our children for a few days in the sun! I called Verizon and am not sure still about being able to use our cell phones to talk with our children. Anyone use theirs in the Bahamas? Any problems? Was it very expensive?? Thanks

Lori in TN

Verizon doesn't have an agreement with Bahamas tel co. but some people have been fortunate enough to get a signal. Don't count on it. It doesn't happen often.

If you do get thru.. the batelco charge is usually around $2.29 per minute. Verizon can charge you also.

Buy a phone card when you arrive. They are available in the InformationCenter or Gift shops. Use from a pay phone.

About $.40 a minute.

Lori in TN

Verizon doesn't have an agreement with Bahamas tel co. but some people have been fortunate enough to get a signal. Don't count on it. It doesn't happen often.

If you do get thru.. the batelco charge is usually around $2.29 per minute. Verizon can charge you also.

Buy a phone card when you arrive. They are available in the InformationCenter or Gift shops. Use from a pay phone.

About $.40 a minute.

You can get a Verizon signal near the airport and usually in Nassau, but once over the bridge to Paradise Island, you don't usually get a signal.

AT&T and T-Mobile are the two you will get signal from. If your phone is set to roam, you may be able to use their networks on your phone. I don't know what the cost would be, however, as I have Sprint and turn my phone off while I'm in the Bahamas (my phone does pick up one of the roaming networks, but I don't wish to pay int'l roaming charges for non-important phone calls). (I have other family members with Verizon, so that's how I know about the signal.)

You might just want to stick with e-mail. If you don't have a laptop with you, you can use the computer in the library for 15 min. a day. If you have a laptop, you can use either wireless in public places or in-room ethernet for $10 per 24 hours.

Archived