Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Karen, what should we expect the dress to be on the dinner cruise? We're leaving all our formals behind for this trip, not even taking a dinner jkt. Hope we're not making a mistake. THanks in advance. Ken.

This

289148278_ACZK9-S.jpg

was the dress code on the one that we went on today aboard Argosy's Spirit of Seattle, but it was a special occasion (official opening day of the boating season for 2008). See my new thread on "It's Official, the Season Has Begun" in this West Coast Destinations Forum for more on this. Smart casual is just fine. I have even seen people in shorts, but the boat is just too nice to be that "tacky", (pardon my French). Wear what you would wear to dinner on your cruise and you will represent better than some.

We are leaving on Princess from Terminal 30 on June 1st. We are staying downtown at the Red Lion the night before, and will be leaving our vehicle in the parking area at the terminal.

How much time should we allow to get to the terminal? I see there is a Mariners game that day so will that traffic affect us? What is the best time to get checked in? We usually cruise out of Fort Lauderdale and wonder if the times are the same...usually there we get to the terminal around 11.

Lots of questions!! :) I am a control freak so need to get it organized!

We are leaving on Princess from Terminal 30 on June 1st. We are staying downtown at the Red Lion the night before, and will be leaving our vehicle in the parking area at the terminal.

How much time should we allow to get to the terminal? I see there is a Mariners game that day so will that traffic affect us? What is the best time to get checked in? We usually cruise out of Fort Lauderdale and wonder if the times are the same...usually there we get to the terminal around 11.

Lots of questions!! :) I am a control freak so need to get it organized!

From the Red Lion, your best way to get to Terminal 30 would be to go down 1st Av to about Holgate (you will be able to see the ships very plainly from there), then follow your nose to get into the parking lot, so to speak.

http://www.rpnw.com/seattle/monthly/lot.asp?id=19&ck=ck

They really don't want you there before 11:30, but I doubt they would seriously turn you away if you get there before that. Considering possible delays from baseball traffic on 1st Av, it could take up to 1/2 hour to get there, give or take.

Thank you, ma'am. Don't mind me, I've got the grumpies. I had something I wanted to say on the PVSA thread and it seems to have been closed again........:mad:

Gee Karen...sorry to see they closed the PVSA thread again. Why this time? I saw the post and website about the SS Norway explosion. I sailed on her once and it was a great time. She was very retro and I am sure that many people might not have appreciated her beauty. It was sad to see that she fell victim to poor upkeep and it caused lives to be lost.

Please post the location of the PVSA thread if it gets put back on

Gee Karen...sorry to see they closed the PVSA thread again. Why this time? I saw the post and website about the SS Norway explosion. I sailed on her once and it was a great time. She was very retro and I am sure that many people might not have appreciated her beauty. It was sad to see that she fell victim to poor upkeep and it caused lives to be lost.

Please post the location of the PVSA thread if it gets put back on

Teresa: If/when I hear something I will reopen a new thread in "ask a cruise question."

My uncle sailed on the Norway and loved it as well.

Hi. Here's our current plan---please let me know if this sounds like it will work or if we should formulate a new plan.

We are cruising on Princess on 9/20 and will be arriving on the 19th. I booked the Sleep Inn Seatac as our pre-cruise and post-cruise hotel. Luxury is not a necessity to us and the hotel is near the airport, and restaurants.

The hotel has a free airport shuttle so my current plan is to call the hotel shuttle upon arrival at the airport on 9/19.

Should we plan to take a taxi to the pier or reserve a shuttle service?

Our cruise returns on 9/27 and we are flying back very early on 9/28.

When we return post-cruise, we are considering booking a Seattle tour through the ship which will provide transportation back to the airport. I believe the cost is around $49 per person.

When we are dropped off at the airport following the tour, we plan to just call the hotel shuttle service for a ride back to the hotel.

Do you think this is a good plan or should we formulate a new plan?

Hi. Here's our current plan---please let me know if this sounds like it will work or if we should formulate a new plan.

We are cruising on Princess on 9/20 and will be arriving on the 19th. I booked the Sleep Inn Seatac as our pre-cruise and post-cruise hotel. Luxury is not a necessity to us and the hotel is near the airport, and restaurants.

The hotel has a free airport shuttle so my current plan is to call the hotel shuttle upon arrival at the airport on 9/19.

Should we plan to take a taxi to the pier or reserve a shuttle service?

Our cruise returns on 9/27 and we are flying back very early on 9/28.

When we return post-cruise, we are considering booking a Seattle tour through the ship which will provide transportation back to the airport. I believe the cost is around $49 per person.

When we are dropped off at the airport following the tour, we plan to just call the hotel shuttle service for a ride back to the hotel.

Do you think this is a good plan or should we formulate a new plan?

You will be boarding the ship as we are coming off, so will try to leave it in good shape for you.....;)

Taxi or shuttle to Terminal 30 would be considerably more expensive than taking Gray Line's Cruise Express one way, since Terminal 30 is outside of the airport to downtown flat rate area.

http://www.graylineseattle.com/cruiseexpress1.cfm

Otherwise, your plan works for me...

Here is the homepage for Folklikfe.

http://www.nwfolklife.org/P_F/festival.html

It is a fascninating festival all about Pacific NW life and culture, replete with all kinds of folkloric dancing, oral history, music and much more. There is food, yes, and it is geared to all ages. I tend to stay away because I have to get up for work at 3 am, and because I'm not a crowd person. Don't let my pecadilloes keep YOU away.

Thank you for the link, sounds like it's worth a visit after the zoo.

I have 2 questions, if you don't mind:

Is wine available in the grocery stores or only in liquor stores? available on Sundays? (I have to ask because TN has some crazy liquor laws)

What would be the best way for 4 adults and luggage to get from the airport to terminal 30 with a stop at the store on the way?

Just posted this question in a thread on the Alaska board , then remembered this thread, so I apologize for posting twice.

Seeing that our flight home doesnt leave until 10pm. we were considering a visit to the Museum of Flight. How much time do I need there to appreciate all it has to offer? How long can I expect to spend there?

Thank you

I have 2 questions, if you don't mind:

Is wine available in the grocery stores or only in liquor stores? available on Sundays? (I have to ask because TN has some crazy liquor laws)

What would be the best way for 4 adults and luggage to get from the airport to terminal 30 with a stop at the store on the way?

Wine yes, liquor no. There are blue laws here too.

Taxi would probably stop for you, but I doubt that van shuttle would. It is likely to take two taxis for you, unless you are all tiny little people with minimal luggage.

Just posted this question in a thread on the Alaska board , then remembered this thread, so I apologize for posting twice.

Seeing that our flight home doesnt leave until 10pm. we were considering a visit to the Museum of Flight. How much time do I need there to appreciate all it has to offer? How long can I expect to spend there?

Thank you

I'm going again Sunday for my second visit. I recommend that you spend at least 2-3 hours, if not more; making sure that you also go across the street to the air park, so that you can get onto Air Force One and the Concorde, and see the NASA and other planes that are parked there. Airport is only about 5-6 miles south of here (I work 1 mile from the Museum), so will not take you overly long to get there from here.

Wine yes, liquor no. There are blue laws here too.

Taxi would probably stop for you, but I doubt that van shuttle would. It is likely to take two taxis for you, unless you are all tiny little people with minimal luggage.

Thanks for the info. Here in TN, you can only get wine in the liquor stores and all liquor stores are closed on Sundays.

Would it be cheaper to use a car services vs. taxis? I'm not sure of the distance/rates to where we are going.

Thanks for the info. Here in TN, you can only get wine in the liquor stores and all liquor stores are closed on Sundays.

Would it be cheaper to use a car services vs. taxis? I'm not sure of the distance/rates to where we are going.

From the airport to Terminal 30 is likely to be about $35 to 40 per two people, if you go two to a taxi. Taxi might stop for you at a grocery (if you can find one, there really aren't any between the airport and the Terminal, other than Costco and that would take you an hour or more in and out at $0.50 to $0.75 per minute of waiting time).

Car service could likely get you there for about $80.00 for four, but also not likely to stop for a "hooch run."

Darned if you do, and darned if you don't.:eek: especially since you are sailing on Sunday. I'm off on the weekends. If you talk to me nice and don't want 150 year old Napoleon brandy, I MIGHT be able to help you out....... (*smiles*) Bearing in mind, of course, that I will just have gotten back on the 20th from Alaska myself....

I've made reservations for Ettas the night before our cruise, but am now rethinking this selection since I'll be traveling with two 15 year old boys. I'm wondering if Fisherman's, Ray's Boathouse, the Crab Pot or another establishment might be better suited to teens but also has great food? I know they would be fine with any place that serves food... but they do eat a LOT & I'm thinking we'll want to keep it casual that evening.

Any thoughts? Thanks, again for all your help & insight!!!

City bus from the HAL dock area, Could you tell me how frequent to town, is it wheelchair accessible, and I imagine needing exact change how much does it cost? Thanks in advance. Oh my son is going to the Space Needle. Which bus would he transfer to downtown to either get to the Seattle Center or where he could catch the Monorail to the Center? We will be in Seattle on May 15th for the day from the Volendam.:)

City bus from the HAL dock area, Could you tell me how frequent to town, is it wheelchair accessible, and I imagine needing exact change how much does it cost? Thanks in advance. Oh my son is going to the Space Needle. Which bus would he transfer to downtown to either get to the Seattle Center or where he could catch the Monorail to the Center? We will be in Seattle on May 15th for the day from the Volendam.:)

HAL uses pier 30 which doesn't have any Metro service nearby. Sorry. You are probably better off in a cab unless you don't mind walking a 1/2 mile down the shoulder of a busy street.

Hi Karen,

We are arriving on Fri 5/16 at 2pm. There is a Mariners game that night and we are staying at the BW Pioneer Sq which I understand is quite close to the stadium. Originally we were going to take the Grayline or the shuttle, but by the time we deplane and get our bags it will be 3pm or later. We thought we would take a taxi instead of dealing with doing a connector & making stops. We would like to get to the hotel, check-in and try to make the last Underground Tour of the day at 5pm. I understand the fare would be around $30-$35 is that correct? Do you think this plan is possible or do you have any suggestions? I believe the hotel is in the flat rate taxi zone going back to the airport right? That flat rate only works for returning to SeaTac,not coming from correct?

Also, on Saturday we were hoping to get up early,run down to Pike Place Market for flowers & champagne before heading to Pier 30. I read that you can take a bottle of wine & a bouquet onto the ship with no problems. We will have two days in Seattle when we return to take our time and really shop there.

I read the Northwest Folklife Festival is not your thing, but it sounds right up our alley. Do you happen to know if it is a standing room only type of thing or do they have seats or do we have to bring a blanket?

Thanks!

Dave

I've made reservations for Ettas the night before our cruise, but am now rethinking this selection since I'll be traveling with two 15 year old boys. I'm wondering if Fisherman's, Ray's Boathouse, the Crab Pot or another establishment might be better suited to teens but also has great food? I know they would be fine with any place that serves food... but they do eat a LOT & I'm thinking we'll want to keep it casual that evening.

Any thoughts? Thanks, again for all your help & insight!!!

You might want to try the Crab Pot then. They serve these MONSTER feasts in giant stainless steel bowls. If the boys like seafood, it would be perfect for your needs.

Hi Karen,

We are arriving on Fri 5/16 at 2pm. There is a Mariners game that night and we are staying at the BW Pioneer Sq which I understand is quite close to the stadium. Originally we were going to take the Grayline or the shuttle, but by the time we deplane and get our bags it will be 3pm or later. We thought we would take a taxi instead of dealing with doing a connector & making stops. We would like to get to the hotel, check-in and try to make the last Underground Tour of the day at 5pm. I understand the fare would be around $30-$35 is that correct? Do you think this plan is possible or do you have any suggestions? I believe the hotel is in the flat rate taxi zone going back to the airport right? That flat rate only works for returning to SeaTac,not coming from correct?

Also, on Saturday we were hoping to get up early,run down to Pike Place Market for flowers & champagne before heading to Pier 30. I read that you can take a bottle of wine & a bouquet onto the ship with no problems. We will have two days in Seattle when we return to take our time and really shop there.

I read the Northwest Folklife Festival is not your thing, but it sounds right up our alley. Do you happen to know if it is a standing room only type of thing or do they have seats or do we have to bring a blanket?

Thanks!

Dave

On a Friday afternoon, with Mariners game traffic, it is possible, although not totally probable. The hotel is in the flat rate taxi zone, and it works both ways.

The Market opens at 10:00 am on Saturday. You can find wine and flowers there, but I am not sure about champagne. You can definitely take flowers aboard, but I am not sure of HAL's policy on champagne. Some will not allow that, although they do allow one bottle of wine per pax.

As for Folklife, plenty of grass, no regular chair type seating.

Archived