Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

DW, DD4 and I will be arriving early July for a 3 night stay before driving to Vancouver for our cruise. My DW has "decided" on the Silver Cloud Inn, Lake Union.

Any thoughts on this hotel? We will have a rental car, and the hotel does offer shuttle service. Will this work for doing the touristy stuff in Seattle?

Thanks,

Bill

Sure, you can get to downtown and/or Seattle Center in 10-15 minutes from here pretty much even during peak traffic periods.

Hi Karen... we're getting close now! I think I have just one last question for you. Thanks again in advance - you've been such a BIG help!

I was reading a review of the Homewoods suites on another board & saw a mention of the 'Queen Anne Specialty Market' next door, but the post was a few years old. Any idea if it's still there? That would be terrific to be able to pick up few items so close!

That's a new one on me. It was never there any time that I have stayed there, but the last time I did was about five years ago......in that neighborhood, I would assume that it is a tiny neighborhood type convenience store.

I may try priceline - i've never done it for hotels before. I saw rates last night on some hotels around the space needle that weren't much higher than what I've already booked. At this point, I'm willing to pay a little more. I'll look at Hampton & Homewood Suites as well and see what I can find. Thanks for your input. I really don't want to be stressing over the hotel situation - but it looks like I am.:( I need to be stressing over packing my suitcases at this point.

I did HOTWIRE for September 11 to 13. I searched Downtown Seattle four star and got the Sheraton for $100 per night.

Hi. There are 4 of us travelling together and we'd like to stay in one room so we are looking for a "Suite" in the downtown Seattle area. Embassy Suites seems to be too far away but something like that would be good, with a separate sleeping area for 2 of us. Any information would be great.

Thanks Sooooo much

sue

Hi. There are 4 of us travelling together and we'd like to stay in one room so we are looking for a "Suite" in the downtown Seattle area. Embassy Suites seems to be too far away but something like that would be good, with a separate sleeping area for 2 of us. Any information would be great.

Thanks Sooooo much

sue

The only place that I can recommend with suites downtown that is even remotely affordable would be Homewood Suites on either Western or Pike.

That's a new one on me. It was never there any time that I have stayed there, but the last time I did was about five years ago......in that neighborhood, I would assume that it is a tiny neighborhood type convenience store.

Just an update for anyone else wondering... I was able to find a listing & phone # for this market next to the Homewood Suites. I called & did get an answer, so I asked if they carry wine & got a resounding "yes, maam". :) They may not have a huge selection, but close to the hotel is all I can ask for! :D

Hi Karen,

I'm setting up a positioning cruise that calls on Seattle, pier 30. It is a group of seniors. Are there any attractions within walking distance? The group will venture out individually and I'm just wondering how best to promote this day. Thanks!

Just an update for anyone else wondering... I was able to find a listing & phone # for this market next to the Homewood Suites. I called & did get an answer, so I asked if they carry wine & got a resounding "yes, maam". :) They may not have a huge selection, but close to the hotel is all I can ask for! :D

Cool. Thanks for the info!

Hi Karen,

I'm setting up a positioning cruise that calls on Seattle, pier 30. It is a group of seniors. Are there any attractions within walking distance? The group will venture out individually and I'm just wondering how best to promote this day. Thanks!

Tim: Depends. How do you feel about Krispy Kreme, Home Depot, Sears and Charbucks? If anyone doesn't mind walking about 1.5-2 miles, there are Safeco and QWest Fields, and Pioneer Square. You would have to walk about 5-6 blocks out of the industrial area to 1st Av South, at which point you could pick up one of a number of buses north toward downtown that would get you there and back.

Tam308,

For what it's worth, we were able to get the Westin Seattle for $120 on a Thurs night in June (lowest internet rate $320) by using Priceline. Do your homework on betterbidding.com and/or biddingfortravel.com. Honestly, if I can do it, anyone can! Both sites list possible 4 star hotels in different locations of the city that you probably would end up with, so it's not such a stab in the dark. The downside is that it's paid at the time of booking and non-refundable. However, last year we had to cancel due to flight cancellation and were able to use our travel insurance. Good Luck!

MyThreeRedheads,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try Priceline. My only question, if I place a bid and it is rejected and I bid again and it is again rejected, etc. once I get to the highest price I am willing to pay, do I just end? I know you have to put in a cc number in advance. I don't want to bid too high for an unknown, when I know a rate on another hotel already.

I did HOTWIRE for September 11 to 13. I searched Downtown Seattle four star and got the Sheraton for $100 per night.

Teresa,

I looked at hotwire, didn't know they had this process. If I don't get anywhere with priceline, then I'll try this. Thanks. I'll let you know what I get.:)

MyThreeRedheads,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try Priceline. My only question, if I place a bid and it is rejected and I bid again and it is again rejected, etc. once I get to the highest price I am willing to pay, do I just end? I know you have to put in a cc number in advance. I don't want to bid too high for an unknown, when I know a rate on another hotel already.

Teresa,

I looked at hotwire, didn't know they had this process. If I don't get anywhere with priceline, then I'll try this. Thanks. I'll let you know what I get.:)

I did priceline and got Westin Seattle for $125 on a Friday night in August. I was nervous - but am now very excited that it is done. (now I'm wondering if I started off too high on my bid....oh well, I'm happy.) Thanks to everyone for your help!:D

Now I can start stressing over my packing list.:eek: I received in the mail today a long rain jacket with zip out fleece that I had ordered online from campmor dot com. So I have one thing to put in my suitcase.

Tamara

I did priceline and got Westin Seattle for $125 on a Friday night in August. I was nervous - but am now very excited that it is done. (now I'm wondering if I started off too high on my bid....oh well, I'm happy.) Thanks to everyone for your help!:D

Now I can start stressing over my packing list.:eek: I received in the mail today a long rain jacket with zip out fleece that I had ordered online from campmor dot com. So I have one thing to put in my suitcase.

Tamara

I am goung to check out that site for a jacket. I am needing a AK jacket, but I have something specific in mind. I am saying it is a ANORAK, but that might not be an accurate description.

I saw recomendations for 13 Coins (near airport) and Bahama Breeze (Southcenter). Do you have any other recommendations near Southcenter, specifically any good seafood restaurants, or are they all downtown/near port?

Thank you

I saw recomendations for 13 Coins (near airport) and Bahama Breeze (Southcenter). Do you have any other recommendations near Southcenter, specifically any good seafood restaurants, or are they all downtown/near port?

Thank you

If you want really good, fresh seafood, you need to go downtown or to the waterfront (also downtown). Bahama Breeze has some seafood, but Ivar's or Anthony's or the Fisherman they are not.

Karen,

are there any place in or near Pike's Market where you can get a bowl of chowder or a softshell crab sandwich like you can in San Francisco near the wharf? The four of us are wanting to do something like that on Friday afternoon pre cruise

Karen - I was just reading that the Westfield Southcenter is "unveiling five new signature restaurants as part of its expansion" to "open this summer"...do you know if this expansion is complete, if the new restaurants are open, or when they will open/be complete if not already?

Thanks again.

Tamara

Tam308,

Congratulations on your hotel...sounds like you got a good deal to me! Have a great trip!

Tim: Depends. How do you feel about Krispy Kreme, Home Depot, Sears and Charbucks? If anyone doesn't mind walking about 1.5-2 miles, there are Safeco and QWest Fields, and Pioneer Square. You would have to walk about 5-6 blocks out of the industrial area to 1st Av South, at which point you could pick up one of a number of buses north toward downtown that would get you there and back.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Not clear, how far away is Krispy Kreme & Starbucks? Most of our clientele will not be venturing 5-6 blocks.

Hello Karen,

Thank you for the wealth of information you have provided on this Forum! Many of my questions have been answered here, especially on this thread.

But I would like to get your advice about our disembarkation day from HAL (Oosterdam). My flight leaves earlier so I’ll be departing separately from my relatives (I was happy to hear about the Cruise Express, a cheaper option than a taxi for 1 person).

The rest of my family flies out at 6PM and would like to see some sights (or at least one) before they head to the airport. Do you think it’s possible for them to visit either the Aquarium, Zoo, or Museum of Flight and have time to make it back to Terminal 30 by 3:30pm to pick up their bags at the Concierge? And if so, do you recommend any of these places over the other? (there are 3 children in the party) And lastly, am I correct to assume that 2 taxi’s would be the best mode of transportation for all 7 of them to be able to do this in a timely manner?

Thank you!

What a great thread - thank you. I have a couple of questions for you...I apologize if they have been answered already - I still struggle with the "search" function!

We are staying at the Hilton downtown in July. We are planning to take the Grey line bus from SeaTac to the hotel - it looks like it drops off nearby. What is the best way for us to get to the pier 66 (which is where I think NCL leaves from :confused: )? Will we be within walking distance to Pike Place Market or what is the best mode to get there (it is so hard to tell from a map). If we would like to go to a Mariner's game, how do you suggest we get to/from the game? Sounds like a taxi might be tough.

I guess long story short, I am wondering how much is within walking distance to the Hilton? I apologize again if you have already answered these questions :o .

Karen,

are there any place in or near Pike's Market where you can get a bowl of chowder or a softshell crab sandwich like you can in San Francisco near the wharf? The four of us are wanting to do something like that on Friday afternoon pre cruise

Teresa: I hear that there are, but, again, since I'm allergic to shellfish, I don't frequent them. I think that someone has mentioned a place in this thread somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. Ivar's on the waterfront is actually better than most of the places in the market, though, from what I hear.

Karen - I was just reading that the Westfield Southcenter is "unveiling five new signature restaurants as part of its expansion" to "open this summer"...do you know if this expansion is complete, if the new restaurants are open, or when they will open/be complete if not already?

Thanks again.

It is supposed to be opening within the next several weeks from what I am hearing. For all that I work just a few miles from there, I rarely make it over there when they are open any more.....:confused:

Archived